C-5 or C-17

Deployment rates are about to change. No more 4 month deployments. I have had some not so good deal trips. I've been on many awesome trips too. You surely can move more cargo with Fred. Based on reliability rates, I doubt you move anything faster. TACC treats all of their assets like shit, if you think they intend to hook you up because you're a Fred crew, well I feel bad for you. As far as spending days in Afcrapistan, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've spent the night in the Stan once in ten years.

By faster, I just meant that we fly a tad faster than you guys, and the M (I fly the B) does it with even fewer fuel stops.

No, TACC does not "hook us up." Fred does that. We don't get abused as much because we break. We aren't usually pounding the ramp, we are in Charlie waiting on you guys to bring in our MRT, or waiting on space to open up in the fuel barn, or troubleshooting, etc. Yes, we break alot, and thankfully, somebody with vision decided to make our repair capable facilities Ramstein, Rota, and Hickam (amongst others, but we tend to spend the most time there.) This is not a bad thing.

About the 2 days a month in Afghanistan, I meant that we typically fly one trip a month, and on that trip fly into Afg, drop our cargo, and continue back to our repair capable facility. So, instead of deploying and flying in and out every other day, we get the same tax break by spending 1-2 days a month in country.

The C-17 has some cool capabilities. Other than AR, the C-5 pretty much flies one to a full stop everywhere, but offers a much better lifestyle and paycheck, hands down. The choice is yours.

...our repair capable facilities Ramstein, Rota, and Hickam (amongst others, but we tend to spend the most time there.) This is not a bad thing.

I was not aware of this; can't believe none of my C-5 brethren chose to share that little gem with me.

I'll go ahead and mark that in the pro column and slip C-5 up to the top of my dream sheet.

Thanks for info!

Pcola, as far as TDYs, leadership/culture, flying; where would you prefer. Dover or Travis?

And oh, BTW, you make more money broken in Rota, Ramstein, or Hickam than 3.50/day at any "undisclosed" location.

we get the same tax break by spending 1-2 days a month in country

You're well on your way to an airline career.

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

I was not aware of this; can't believe none of my C-5 brethren chose to share that little gem with me.

I'll go ahead and mark that in the pro column and slip C-5 up to the top of my dream sheet.

Thanks for info!

Pcola, as far as TDYs, leadership/culture, flying; where would you prefer. Dover or Travis?

it depends....Dover will get really busy in the next year and Travis will get really slow....just depends on how many days you want to be gone.

I had two assignments in the C-5 and they were great. As most mentioned - it breaks - but only in good spots the engineer likes because their mistress is there or we can make the most per diem. All kidding aside - it breaks and often is broken for long periods. The C-17 breaks as well, just not as often. What's this mean to you? Well, the C-17 will get the cool missions to go help people where you can't have a broke-ass C-5 sitting on the ground. I've planned C-17 missions to a lot more cool places than I've ever seen a C-5 go. The C-17 can get in and out of a lot smaller fields and does it more reliable. And you know what FRED stands for, right? While Barney is FRED's smaller friend.

Flying the C-5 is a lot of fun - it is pretty awesome trying to control something that big. But you'll pretty much never have the chance to fly low-levels, airdrop or work with NVGs. Those are things you will get to do in the C-17. If you like the instrument phase and fake AR in the T-1, the C-5 is for you.

Another reality - the C-5 is a dying airframe. What do I mean by that? Well, outside the M program there is very little money for upgrades and the like. C-17s is still relatively new and gets new toys way sooner than FRED. Also consider basing locations - the C-5 will soon be in 4 locations - KSUU, KDOV, KSKF, KCEF - great if those are places you want to live. If you're thinking long term the options for C-17 AFRC/ANG jobs is a lot better. PHIK / PAED / KTCM / KSUU / KLTS / KJAN / KCHS / KDOV / KWRI / KFFO / KSWF / KMRB? - and you can even do exchange tours in the C-17. The ONLY advantage FRED has is you no longer need to go to KLTS - the only thing FRED and Barney agree on is that KLTS sucks - ok one other thing - TACC sucks...

Another reality - the C-5 is a dying airframe. What do I mean by that? Well, outside the M program there is very little money for upgrades and the like. C-17s is still relatively new and gets new toys way sooner than FRED. Also consider basing locations - the C-5 will soon be in 4 locations - KSUU, KDOV, KSKF, KCEF - great if those are places you want to live. If you're thinking long term the options for C-17 AFRC/ANG jobs is a lot better. PHIK / PAED / KTCM / KSUU / KLTS / KJAN / KCHS / KDOV / KWRI / KFFO / KSWF / KMRB? - and you can even do exchange tours in the C-17.

Don't forget KMEM

Flying the C-5 is a lot of fun - it is pretty awesome trying to control something that big. But you'll pretty much never have the chance to fly low-levels, airdrop or work with NVGs. Those are things you will get to do in the C-17.

Take that as a shot against the C-17 community - training that focuses so much on maneuvers that the airmanship is sometimes placed second. Cycling co's through the seat during so everyone can get their beans.

Edited by addict

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha!!!

Scud... You're absolutely loving this, aren't you?

---

PK

Flew a week and a half long pacific trip years back, moving opportune cargo - not a downrange OIF/OEF mission for a change. Rare. Stop by Hickam on our way out, broke C-5 on the ramp. Get downtown billeting at the Outrigger Luana, sweet stoked to not be stuck on base with no U-drive, that C-5's crew is there enjoying life. Anyway go fly our trip, some engine write-up develops later in the trip that repeats itself every time at start-up, we mention it each time to each transient maintenance facility on our RONs across the pacific and they always either CND the issue or fix it just enough to push us on to the next base and TA Mx crew where it'll repeat again. Get back to Hickam with the same issue persisting, probably the best place to get it fixed, on the bus notice same C-5 on the ramp in the same spot ain't moved, get offbase again and yup same crew still there. Alert next day and same shit from Mx, move on ya bums you're not breaking in Hawaii.

Take from that what you will. Was a fun trip and nice to do something different, but it becomes pretty clear who's allowed to break and where.