PCSing with Reserves

I'll be PCSing with family in tow to Laughlin in March. I was wondering, in the reserves, do you get the 10 days to house hunt/move in, etc like you do active duty? Do you need to request that time or do they tack that time onto the front of the orders automatically for a PCS?

My plan was to take the alloted 4 days to drive out there and then hopefully use the 10 days to get into our base housing/receive our shipped goods prior to UPT start.

Edited by HeyWatchThis

start looking online and figure out what youre going to do with your family before you get there. you'll get 5 days to move and 5 days to in process. its totally bogus and really outdated. did i mention unrealistic? if you were an active duty stud, you'd probably be there months in advance on casual status to get settled in before training starts. if you're a guard/reserve bubba, you'll be unpacking, in processing, and getting your life in order in a handful of days before the fun begins.

with that being said, good luck!

Thanks for the input. I have already reserved lodging at the TLF for 30 days so we will have a roof over our head either way. I will re-read the reporting instructions on Laughlin's website and anywhere else I can dig official info up to see if I can find the 10 day reference. I haven't read that students must show up 10 days prior...thats good to know

I got 2 days for travel to XL (I live in TX). If you are going to be a stud; live on base. The convenience is worth it. Your biggest concern should be to get a house secured from Hunt. Call them (if you haven't already) and get the ball rolling so you can start moving in the day you arrive. Your unit might be able to give you extra days to 'house hunt' when you get here.

You have to report 10 weekdays prior to your class start date. In-processing took me a few hours a day for a week to get finished...and we still have to wear blues on Monday.

Plan on being busy that first week you get here, but it is do-able...talk to Hunt and get your house secured. I had a 10 day wait to get my house, so I had to get a storage unit so I could unload the truck in to (did a DITY).

I got 2 days for travel to XL (I live in TX). If you are going to be a stud; live on base. The convenience is worth it. Your biggest concern should be to get a house secured from Hunt. Call them (if you haven't already) and get the ball rolling so you can start moving in the day you arrive. Your unit might be able to give you extra days to 'house hunt' when you get here.

You have to report 10 weekdays prior to your class start date. In-processing took me a few hours a day for a week to get finished...and we still have to wear blues on Monday.

Plan on being busy that first week you get here, but it is do-able...talk to Hunt and get your house secured. I had a 10 day wait to get my house, so I had to get a storage unit so I could unload the truck in to (did a DITY).

Thanks for the info!

I called Hunt last week and they said 60 days out I can send in my application. I am just barely outside my 60 day window so I will send my stuff to them as soon as I can. My training RIP already came down for UPT so I should have orders soon which is what Hunt requires you have before putting you on the wait list.

Blues on Monday - Weak.........but I expected that from an AETC base

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring the thread back to life, but I'm trying to get an answer regarding reserves and BAH pay while at UPT. From what I understand, because OTS is less than 180 days (not a PCS), you are reimbursed the appropriate BAH rate. What I am trying to figure out, is if you are eligible for the same at UPT. From what can gather from other posts, is that AD guys DO NOT get BAH at UPT, because it is a PCS. I have heard both sides of the story for reserves - one being that a reserve pilot already has an assigned base, and any time away is considered TDY, and the other is that it is a PCS, therefore they will not get BAH.

Any help, or direction would be appreciated! :salut:

ARL

AD pockets BAH any time they live off base.

Perhaps you're using the wrong term?

Quite possibly. Im new to all this, so I could be wrong. Just trying to figure if you live on base, with dependents, and they don't choose to move with you, do you get your home BAH rate, in addition to base accommodations?

THat make any sense, lol.

It does.

Not for that situation exactly, but realize that if base housing has been privatized at the UPT base, AD residents would still receive BAH living on base. However, their "rent" to the company that owns/operates the privatized base housing would be exactly their BAH.

I know nothin of reserves though, so ymmv.

Quite possibly. Im new to all this, so I could be wrong. Just trying to figure if you live on base, with dependents, and they don't choose to move with you, do you get your home BAH rate, in addition to base accommodations?

No. If you are living on base your BAH will be based on that location because its a PCS. So if BAH is $1100 a month, and you live on base, expect your "rent" to be $1100. Didnt bring your family? Their rent/mortgage costs will come out of your pocket.

So what if you're a guard or reserve dude that owns a house, moves to UPT and can't find a renter at their home or doesnt want college kids or crackheads renting it while you're gone? Again, its a PCS so get ready to shell out some coin. Its a situation that totally blows. Rent your house, sell it, have some family move in for half your mortgage to at least bring something in, etc.

Good luck.

No. If you are living on base your BAH will be based on that location because its a PCS. So if BAH is $1100 a month, and you live on base, expect your "rent" to be $1100. Didnt bring your family? Their rent/mortgage costs will come out of your pocket.

So what if you're a guard or reserve dude that owns a house, moves to UPT and can't find a renter at their home or doesnt want college kids or crackheads renting it while you're gone? Again, its a PCS so get ready to shell out some coin. Its a situation that totally blows. Rent your house, sell it, have some family move in for half your mortgage to at least bring something in, etc.

Good luck.

Yeah, that does blow. Im a regional airline FO, and even I would be taking a paycut. Yikes. So for this example, theres no difference between dependents and not? I keep hearing about guys getting married before training to help with the income, how does this exactly affect them? Also, aside from flight pay, which I know doesn't start until you hit the line, what other reimbursements could one expect as an O-1 in UPT?

Thanks again

A guy in my class is a reserve guy who's wife lives back at their home of record. He started off UPT living in the dorms and receiving BAH for back home. He called it a 'BAH waiver' (which I believe your unit finance guru should help you out with).

At Laughlin you can live in the dorms as a married person if you came here unaccompanied...until the dorms fill up and you get forced out and then have to live in privatized housing and start paying them all your BAH...which is what happened to him.

It's a crap shoot, but has worked out well for some and less than stellar for orhers. At least this guy got a few months BAH before he lost it.

Yeah, that does blow. Im a regional airline FO, and even I would be taking a paycut. Yikes. So for this example, theres no difference between dependents and not? I keep hearing about guys getting married before training to help with the income, how does this exactly affect them? Also, aside from flight pay, which I know doesn't start until you hit the line, what other reimbursements could one expect as an O-1 in UPT?

Thanks again

Actually flight pay is backed up to your class start date, it just might not hit your LES until roughly the start of phase II.

As for the "dual BAH" that you are talking about, a buddy in my flight who is a guard guy mentioned this. He said that if you have a home that you don't want to sell, there is some reg out there that states if you can prove you are still paying a mortgage back at home, and get PCS orders for training, that also have you returning home, you can somehow collect dual BAH.....

I didn't bother looking into it any further because you have to hack it out with your unit plus I don't have a second home payment so it didn't apply to me...

Checks. I live in CBM. Wife lives in Dallas. I get BAH at the Dallas rate to help out with the mortgage we have back home. Live off base in CBM and never had to live on as they were getting ready for the large influx of Academy grads to arrive. The finance waiver was processed by my home unit.