US Air Force deserter reveals himself after living in Sweden for 28 years

Infamous

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=obinsite

A fugitive U.S. airman who deserted from a base in Germany solved the mystery of his 28-year disappearance after he revealed himself to a Swedish newspaper.

David Hemler left an Air Force base in Augsburg in 1984 after he became disgruntled with former President Ronald Reagan’s policies and joined a pacifist church, Reuters reports, citing the Swedish-language Dagens Nyheter.

He then hitchhiked his way to Sweden and planned to stay there for a week, but ended up settling down. Hemler, now 49 and working at a Swedish government agency, married a woman from Thailand and has three kids, the newspaper reports.

Hemler was listed as one of the Air Force’s most-wanted fugitives after his desertion, according to the newspaper, but he told no one -- not even his wife -- about his identity.

Hemler outed himself because he said he missed his parents and was afraid that he’d lose his residence permit if exposed.

“I didn’t want to leave my daughter, and with a dishonorable discharge I would never find a job, get no retirement and no medical benefits,” Hemler told Dagens Nyheter, the New York Daily News reports.

Hemler contacted his U.S. family four weeks ago and spoke to his brother, who said he had a “strange European accent.” The family is now planning to visit him in Sweden.

The Air Force is still investigating Hemler's claims, the Daily News reports.

:airman:

Edited by Infamous

What would posess a guy hiding in Sweden to marry a Thai girl?

There are lots of Thai/Asian chicks in Europe...you should see how many of them are standing behind glass doors in Amersterdam's red light district...so I've heard, from a friend.

Yeah, but in Sweden? You're literally surrounded by tall big breasted blonds for chrissake!

Yeah, who in their right mind would pick some brown chick over a white woman? A blonde one at that! (the best kind of white)

Yeah, who in their right mind would pick some brown chick over a white woman? A blonde one at that! (the best kind of white)

I fully embrace 'equal opportunity' when it comes to women. Just sayin' "when in rome...".

If he was at Augsburg then he most likely had a security clearance (AFA reported he was with the 6913th Electronic Security Squadron).

I don't care how much time has gone by, he's still a deserter and should be treated as such!

"My dream scenario is that the responsible authorities realize I have already been punished quite severely for my actions. . . . I have been living 28 years in lies," he said, reported Reuters

Secretly living in Sweden "punishment?!?" Fuck off, asshole! :flipoff: Step one foot in this country and go to jail!