Pentagon Ends Air Force Global Hawk

In this case, the committee belives that while some of these assets may be redundant to the DoD, they remain vital to governors who have important roles as first responders in a time of crisis

Honestly, what would the Governor of Oklahoma need F-16s for in a "time of crisis"? Don't start with "Red Dawn".

Edited by Butters
  • Upvote 1

- 11 additional F/A-18 Super Hornets (to 37 from 26)

I must of missed something, the AF operates hornets now (or has been apparently)? I did a google search but didnt turn up much outside of other countries Air Force operating them.

I must of missed something, the AF operates hornets now (or has been apparently)? I did a google search but didnt turn up much outside of other countries Air Force operating them.

I'm nearly positive the AF doesn't operate destoyers, Patriots or Abrams tanks. So I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that those weren't just Air Force toys on the list.

• Upvote 1

I'm nearly positive the AF doesn't operate destoyers, Patriots or Abrams tanks. So I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that those weren't just Air Force toys on the list.

Thats what I figured, but I don't know if this discussion earlier was a joke or not and it threw me off. Like there was some cross training going on or something and the guy earlier mentioning an F-18 unit with a AF captain.

Growler probably; Prowler no

Via CBS Los Angeles:

Pilot Killed After Jet Used In Navy Exercises Crashes In Oxnard

May 18, 2012 1:15 PM

OXNARD (CBS) — A jet making its way to Point Mugu Naval Air Station crashed in Oxnard Friday, killing the pilot aboard, authorities reported.

The Federal Aircraft and Aviation department received reports at 12:15 p.m. of a plane down at Laguna and Protero roads, near Cal State University Channel Islands.

The aircraft is a Hawker Hunter jet registered to Airborne Tactical Advantage Company, a company contracted by the Navy to provide adversary support for fleet exercises off the California coast.

“It’s a civilian-contracted airplane to the Navy, and it was a former military pilot,” Naval Base spokesman Vance Vasquez told KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO. “These are not current military airplanes and/or aircraft that are owned by the Navy.”

The plane was returning back to Point Mugu from a mission and crashed into an unpopulated area of Oxnard.

This is the second loss for ATAC this year after a Kfir was lost in the spring. Has to be tough for a small group.

Shit. I know a Hunter pilot for them. I havent had any phone calls today, so that is a good sign...

Yeah, real good sign. Some poor bastard augered in, but not the guy that you know, so it's all good.

Honestly, what would the Governor of Oklahoma need F-16s for in a "time of crisis"? Don't start with "Red Dawn".

Yeah, fuck Montana!

More specifically, the MT ANG gave up their F-16Cs a couple years back to the CA ANG in Fresno. Now after swapping to and qualifying on the F-15C, they're giving them up to...yup, Fresno again...and were supposed to then go to 4 C-27Js. Then THAT worked its course, and the next plan was to take the reserve/guard/whatever C-130s at JRB Fort Worth/Carswell and swap them up to MT...and the Texan congressional delegation flipped out demanding that they have the aircraft "for disaster purposes". So, yeah, Montana can go fuck itself.

Look, clearly the AF/DoD owns the iron and can do with it as it sees fit, but some of this machinery swapping is completely stupid.

Edited by Clayton Bigsby

Look, clearly the AF/DoD congress owns the iron and can do with it as it sees fit...

How long did those KC-135Es stay in the guard? Same for C-5As. This guy did some damage over 4 herks being moved from his state...thought he also played a key role in ending Gen Martin's PACOM/CC nom. The NDAA that passed the house yesterday rejects the 2013 BRAC that the White House requested. Make no mistake--aircraft/units do not move without congressional support.