The flight cap crush/crunch

Guest deweygcc

Guest deweygcc

So I wanted to know Why all the Fighter drivers wear the bomber crush. It started when the WWII bomber pilots wore both their service caps or bus drivers caps on their way to combat. They didnt have to wear their "helmets" until combat as they had headsets which crushed the backs of their caps. They would pull them down as to prevent them from blowing off.

THe fighter guys had to wear a "helmet" the whole time. So I wondering why the fighter guys wear it and why do they USUALLY wear it wrong.

It should be pulled down so there is the M look or the "C$#$" cap.

I found this out from some WWII b17 crew members.

Im not trying to cause a problem, I just figured people would want to know whats up with what many call the "ducktail" which is wrong.

Originally posted by Gonads:

you can......act like a bomber pilot? ok.

Come on Gonads, don't be a dumba*s....... you know he meant "we can" as in we can wear it however we want.....for the life of me, I can't figure out why this post pops up (sts) every couple of months and why so many people out make such a big deal of of something so insignificant.....

Guest deweygcc

Because new people DONT know, and I get asked ALL the time why flyers wear their caps this way. So I figured I'd FORMALLY educate those that DONT know. Im a bomber guy and I think its funny when a Viper driver wears his bomber crush wrong. :D

Guest deweygcc

:D No problem with the crush as long as you get it right. Although most DC guys wore a bus driver lid.

To be true to the Crush YOU MUST firmly set the cover on your head, this was done so the prop wash didnt take it off. If you have the peaks touching then "crush" the back it looks dumb.

So basically either wear it like everyone else. Or wear the crush correctly. Oh and its NOT a ducktail. The USN calls it a ducktail for that tailhook BS they have goin on. :D NOTE: there is NO AFI in regard to any type of crush to the flight cap.

For those interested... AFI 36-2903 Dress and Appearance states:

Flight Cap...worn slightly to the wearer's right with vertical crease of the cap in line with the center of the forehead, in a straight line with the nose; the cap extends approximately 1 inch from the eyebrow in the front...

Nothing about a crush, which means there is room for interpatation. Your local supplement to this AFI may cover something on it but I doubt it.

So what is your guys take on enlisted flyers wearing the TAC/Bomber/Fighter crush? I'm pretty sure they were wearing the same hats as the pilots on DC-3's, B-17's ect...

And could someone PLEASE post a photo of the correct way so we can get on with it....

Guest deweygcc

Sure go grab a WWII vet and ask him. His first comment will be that our caps are much better and thicker than his old one. The old AAC hat was floppy and thin like the USN's

I dont give a ratsass who wears it, just get it right. Don't be doin the straight out of BMT or whatever commissioning sourse, ots, zoo, rotC, with the perfect 2 fingers from the brow, peaked perfectly and the REAR jammed in the back, and the cocky strut. Hell I have seen logistic and even finance dudes wearing it.

Guest NimitsTexan

That's an ROTC gimmick. For a while, some of pilot wannbees at my former Det were doing that ('till the PAS put a stop to it).

Originally posted by deweygcc:

Don't be doin the straight out of BMT or whatever commissioning sourse, ots, zoo, rotC, with the perfect 2 fingers from the brow, peaked perfectly and the REAR jammed in the back, and the cocky strut. Hell I have seen logistic and even finance dudes wearing it.

[ 10. October 2004, 17:52: Message edited by: NimitsTexan ]

Guest NimitsTexan
Originally posted by Gonads:

you can......act like a bomber pilot? ok.

LOL. As a fighter-driver wannabe, I find that extremly funny.

Here, let me rephrase my original post.

A. It evolved.

B. It looks cool.

C. We can...wear our covers however the **** we want without some prick opening his man pleaser and making himself sound like an envious wannabe.

• 10 months later...

I was back at a UPT base not too long ago for a graduation and found out students are crunching their hats after they get their fighter assignment. Personally, I didn't do it until after I finished IFF and even then it was because our IPs told us we were able to. Just trying to find out if this is common practice at UPT and what everyone's feeling on this are.

There's no rule on it...there's not even an accepted theory as to the history of it.

Personally, I don't care if someone does it or not...so long as they can perform when they get to the jet. There's nothing more retarded than looking like a fighter pilot but not being able to act like one when it counts.

[ 10. September 2005, 05:46: Message edited by: Hacker ]

Guest Thriller
Originally posted by '2':

I was back at a UPT base not too long ago for a graduation and found out students are crunching their hats after they get their fighter assignment. Personally, I didn't do it until after I finished IFF and even then it was because our IPs told us we were able to. Just trying to find out if this is common practice at UPT and what everyone's feeling on this are.

First of all, it's not a "Fighter Crunch",

The tradition of crushing the flight cap actually came from the bomber community in WWII. During missions, the Pilots would wear their flight caps underneath their headsets.

After they came home, they would step out of their aircraft and with their headsets removed, their caps would have a "crush" in them.

So...it isn't a "Fighter Crunch", rather a tradition stemming from the Bomber community since WWII. For some reason, fighter guys are doing the "Bomber Crush". I have no idea why fighter guys do it and I doubt they even know...I guess deep down inside, they've always wanted to be a bomber pilot. ;)

What's even more funny than seeing a Fighter guy with a Bomber Crush is seeing a Non-Rated Officer with one. Now that is just ridiculous!

In the bomber community, the tradition of the "Bomber Crush" is still in practice today.

Anyway, last year I spoke with a B-17 bomber pilot who verified the tradition. He was a great guy who had lots of stories. If you ever get the chance to speak to these pilots, it will truly humble you.

Below is another explanation of this time honored bomber tradition. It goes into a little more detail.

Hope this clears things up a bit

Peace,

THRILLER

-------------------------------------------------

"Normally, the cap had stiffeners -- a support piece behind the cap device and a wire around the inside top perimeter to maintain the cap's round shape. These kept the cap in its proper, regulation military shape and angle. However, since bomber pilots wore headsets over their caps during flights, they would remove the wire stiffener to make headset wear more comfortable, causing the sides of the caps to become crushed. Eventually, the caps retained their floppy "crushed" look, giving the pilot who wore it the look of a seasoned veteran. The crush cap identified its wearer as an experiened pro, and was as much a part of his identity as his leather flight jacket."

[ 10. September 2005, 07:36: Message edited by: Thriller ]

Guest GooneyBird

You guy's replicate the "crush" look on your piss cutters? That's a bit I say that because I cannot remember the last time I saw an AF officer wear the standard stiffy, which is the hat the 50-mission crush got it's name from.

Looking at pictures from when my dad went through pilot training back in '67 (Willy), everyone wore the crush. Even without wings. I used to giggle to myself seeing some FAIPs with it, but you know (and I haven't been around very long) I've had the same hat for well over a year and after a while the thing just separates as she gets more loose (if you will) and sets itself up for the crush. I'd feel like a tool if I wore it without having ever done anything important. My point? Don't have one because it doesn't f-ing matter. It's a freaking hat.

I'm just happy to be able to wear a flight suit.

I love my job, and I worked my a$$ of to get here.

I do see where guys are coming from about waiting to "crush" your cuntcap until after your are flying operationally. But they are at least PILOTS "crushing" their caps and not some ROTC ###### or the backender from a whacker doing it. Now that is a bunch of crap.

Even if it was, it's nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. They are the ones that look like idiots and in the words of Adam Sandler "Their all gunna laugh at you"

I'm a T-38 FAIP, and you won't see me with my hat crushed. I don't feel it's appropriate for someone without any fighter/bomber time.

Take that for what it's worth.

[ 11. September 2005, 15:01: Message edited by: Fury220 ]

Originally posted by Fury220:

I don't feel it's appropriate for someone without any fighter/bomber time.

Yeah that's right. Make sure to forward that to a few Herk drivers with about 1,500 combat hours that they don't qualify to wear it since they don't have an fighter/bomber time.

HD

[ 11. September 2005, 19:30: Message edited by: HerkDriver24 ]

Guest MistahKurtz

My dad is a Pavelow pilot and noticed had the ducktail crush thing in his hat. After reading about the bomber heritage and 50 mission thing yadda yadda yadda I asked him why he did it. He just said it made it fit better.

Guest JimNtexas

I was told to crush my cap during fighter lead-in, and I did so for the next 18 years. Every other WSO I ever saw did it also.