A-10 crash at moody

163 FS

• 3 weeks later...

right thread this time....

I am sure those of you "in the know" have better knowledge...but the Air Force fish wrap has an article out...

http://www.airforcet...report-011112w/

Thoughts A-10 dudes?

IIRC, the checklist called for a climb to 35K and involved a 1G stall/cabin pressurization check. Easily accomplished by slowly pulling the throttles to idle. Throttle or stick techique, i.e. ham fisting, the jet might have resulted in the problem. The jet has cables for both fuel control and flight controls and, if it wasn't rigged correctly, that may have caused the problem. However, prior to the 35K check, he would have shut down each engine (not at the same time) and done a restart via cross-bleed and APU at 15K. So, I'd say there is more to the story that we don't have via that link.

Can't blame the engines for the Pinnacle flight...

http://www.popularme...crashes/2156137

That article is crap...

"pitch up" maneuver that pinned them in their seats with 1.8 g's of force

HKKKKKK...... HKKKKKK..... HKKKKKKK....

the crew set the autopilot to climb at 500 ft. per minute--more than twice the fastest recommended rate

What is the recommended rate? Half of what is required without having to notify ATC?

The procedure requires at least 300 knots of airspeed. But at 20,000 ft. and only 236 knots...

7,000 ft to gain 67 kts.... Maybe gaining that much speed is harder in a larger aircraft?

The Bombardier has a 41,000-ft. service ceiling. However, according to the climb profiles in the crew's flight manual, the maximum altitude for the 500-ft.-per-minute climb the pilots set was only 38,700 ft.

So the service ceiling is 38,700 ft then?

"The service ceiling is the altitude at which the aircraft is unable to climb at a rate greater than 100 feet per minute (fpm)." FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aviation Knowledge page 10-7.

500 fpm for jets... according to some definitions. Searching Google, it looks like all of the FAA definitions go with 100 fpm. Point conceeded, but the article is still rife with unnecessary hyperbole.

Yeah, my bad for the sub-quality article. I'd read something about it before (that was a lot better I think (AOPA?)) and guess I figured that's what would show up when I googled it. At second look there are a ton of narratives....

Regardless, it wasn't the engines.