New Book: Two days of Rolling Thunder

Hacker

Thought I'd pass along a new book to the baseops.net masses, Two days of Rolling Thunder by Robert Deas. A fantastic read with a new twist on the "Thud pilot in Vietnam" theme.

Like many of you, I've read several very good books on flying F-105s in Vietnam: When Thunder Rolled, Thud Ridge, Pack Six, and others. To be honest, when I first heard about Two days of Rolling Thunder I wasn't really all that enthusiastic about reading it -- after all, what could this book cover that hasn't all ready been done (and very well) by those other books?

Well, I'll be frank -- this one knocked my socks off. What's different is that this is a "there I was" story of a different color, one which puts the reader in the seat rather than reading about the author being in the seat. The book is written in first person, as if the reader were a brand new wingman showing up in an F-105 squadron and participating in two days of combat sorties during ROLLING THUNDER.

When I first started reading it, I have to admit it reminded me just a little too much of the Choose Your Own Adventure books I used to love in elementary school. The formula works, though, extremely well. It's a short read...or, at least, it seems like one because it is very engrossing and was tough for me to put down. The events are apparently true, as experienced by the author, Col Deas. The radio comm printed is transcribed directly from Deas' audio tapes of the very missions and events he describes.

The book is full color, with many photos that Deas took himself. The book reprints some of the mission materials used on the raid, including the target photo/map showing the DMPIs for the attack. Pretty interesting stuff from a historical perspective...stuff which gets immediately put through the shredder in today's combat ops!

The book is being published by Y2B Publishing, of which Baseops poster Steve Davies is one of the core founders/proprietors. I'm sure he'll be along to answer questions about the book, but I wanted to throw my two cents in. There's a start-up forum there on the publisher's website where more in depth discussion will take place, I'm sure (Steve had one for his Red Eagles book, too, and there were extra photos and text, etc, that ended up there to augment the book -- pretty cool stuff).

A great read -- highly recommended.

Hacker, thanks for the info. My Dad flew Thuds with the 34 TFS at Korat. He was like me in that he flew airlift/multi-engine aircraft and had been a training command IP. He was in a staff job when he got orders to fly the F-105 in Vietnam. He had about 80 hours in the plane before he went to war in it. He was shot down (had over 60 counters) and was a POW for nearly 6 years. I've always admired what he did and those he flew with. RP-6 was a bear and I can't imagine what it must have been like - therefore I read about it as much as I can. I had the pleasure and honor of taking him to a 34 TFS reunion several years ago and meeting other Thud pilots. I am in awe of what they did. I look forward to reading the book. Regards, RF.

Hacker

Thanks for the review.

I'm talking to Baseops about doing some advertising here, so I won't post any detail as that's a bit cheeky.

However, we are taking pre-orders for the book, so Red Fox please do visit our website (linked in Hacker's post) for more info.

I'll post again once we've got an advertising deal agreed with BO.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, my dad was in the 2nd 4-ship of strikers (Possum Flight) of the 1st wave of the attack on the Thai Nguyen steel mill on 10 Mar '67. He was awarded a DFC for the mission and his flight lead received the Silver Star. Its one of the missions he would talk about. I think this is the same mission that Merlyn H. Dethlefsen was awarded the CMOH. Is that true? Look forward to reading the book. If it has Ed Rasimus' (of There is a Way fame) approval, its got me sold. Good luck with it. Regards, RF.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

RF

Yep, same day/strike force. Your Dad still around? Would be cool if we can get him a copy of the book gratis.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Yes, my Dad is still around - hanging in there. His health isn't that good. Thanks for the offer. I was hoping to buy the book for him on Amazon. Still not in stock according to the web site. Do I need to use the UK website? RF.

RF

The Amazon stock issue is being sorted as we speak - they are an utter pain in the arse to work with and it's almost impossible to work out how their system works.

Anyway, PM me with your address (or your Dad's) and I'll send him a copy of the book for free. It would be our honour to do so. It shouldn't be a problem for me to work out his name, but if you'd supply it anway then I can make sure that we can personalise the package appropriately.

Steve

In fact, I may send it via Sam Deas (the author) so that he can sign it and then send it on.

• Upvote 2

My copy appeared in the mailbox a couple of hours ago. The book looks extraordinary, packed full of excellent photos, most of which I've never seen before and the entire printed package is first rate.

The last flying book I read was about O-2's in Vietnam, it was well done, although pretty slow in pacing and I read it over a couple of weeks. It took a really general look at a full year long tour, while Rolling Thunder really goes into detail, minute by minute, looking at just a few days. While I'm only a few pages into reading (after skimming through while looking at the pics) this book won't sit anywhere between chapters because it really does a good job of drawing you in, as if you're actually there, rather than just reading.

Would write more, but I'm going back to the book.

• 4 weeks later...

Royal

There's a technical fault on the Amazon.com page that stops us from selling the book. I'm trying to get it fixed, but Amazon doesn't dance to the beat of anyone else's drum and are taking their time.

Once it's fixed I'll drop a line on here. In the meantime, you can still get the book direct from us: Y2B Publishing.

Cheers

Steve

• Upvote 1

Royal

There's a technical fault on the Amazon.com page that stops us from selling the book. I'm trying to get it fixed, but Amazon doesn't dance to the beat of anyone else's drum and are taking their time.

Once it's fixed I'll drop a line on here. In the meantime, you can still get the book direct from us: Y2B Publishing.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks, Steve; looking forward to reading it.