What about an Aviation Pics Gallery?

Baseops.Net

I really dug the Aviation Pics thread on this forum (gen disussion).

I was wondering if there was any sort of demand / desire to see the creation of an interactive aviation pics gallery -- an online gallery where you could upload photos/pics to share with others?

I was looking at a PHP script like Coppermine Gallery, etc. --> translation: an interactive portal where users create accounts then upload their photos to share.

I thought this would be a good idea, however, the bandwidth concerns would make me place it on another website/server. The product I was looking at allows users to upload their photos (direct from their harddrives), place captions, search, sort, categorize, e-cards, vote, place comments, etc. (full interaction...)

coppermine example URL

What do y'all think.

If you think it's a crappy idea, no big deal!

[ 11. August 2005, 17:48: Message edited by: Baseops.Net ]

I think that would be a great idea! I was just looking through a CD of mine today that has pics of every AF aircraft and I am going to put it on my computer. If we all had access to cool pics I think a lot of people would have fun with it and use it!

Sounds awesome. Not to derail this thread, but I was thinking it would be cool to have Baseops.net t-shirts. I know you're not big on donations, but it would be a great way for us to support baseops without just giving money. We could also upload pics of wearing the shirt in cool locations and post them in the gallery(back on topic). Just a thought.

Guest lakefisher

you could put a subdomain of baseops.net on another server (as in gallery.baseops.net).

btw, reading the announcement about the server move, just how large was the "overwhelming bandwidth"?

I am actually working on some logo-based products... more to come soon.

As far as the bandwidth - it was in excess of 20GB a month, BUT, the overiding factor was the fact that so many persons were executing the .cgi script that it was crippling the host server almost causing it to CRASH!

Originally posted by Baseops.Net:

As far as the bandwidth - it was in excess of 20GB a month, BUT, the overiding factor was the fact that so many persons were executing the .cgi script that it was crippling the host server almost causing it to CRASH!

Yeah...What he said.

You should make it so every time I come to baseops.net, money and hot babes appear out of nowhere in my apartment. Probably have to use the .bab script for that one.

And to be constructive, I might not be understanding the .cgi thing or have any idea what PHP is, but I think the aviation pic thing would be cool. There is already so much out there, but seeing peoples' own photos from their jobs is way cooler. You'd probably have to have some kind of approval process to limit potential buffoonery with what some people might try to put up there.

[ 11. August 2005, 20:58: Message edited by: Rocker ]

Yeah, we would have to crank-down the security of the pics gallery. First off, we would have to be particular on who creates accounts and who could POST pics (although ALL would be able to view the pics). Next the FCC "decency" standards would have to be enforced -- a particularly difficult task with pilots! And of course, the whole opsec / comsec / compusec issues would have to be enforced to keep "big brother" from pursuing us like enemy-of-the-state.

I think people being able to post their own personal pics of their aircraft, etc. would be a neat twist on the usual trite photo gallery idea.

Originally posted by c17wannabe:

Sounds awesome. Not to derail this thread, but I was thinking it would be cool to have Baseops.net t-shirts. I know you're not big on donations, but it would be a great way for us to support baseops without just giving money. We could also upload pics of wearing the shirt in cool locations and post them in the gallery(back on topic). Just a thought.

Concur...and thumbs up to the pics page as well!

Guest AF2ANG

I'd wear a Baseops.net T-shirt. And I'm not even a USO or Hooters girl. Good idea. Likewise for the photo gallery.

I agree with the above "DO IT".

Michaela

Here is a thought...A gallery with hot chicks wearing Baseops.net gear.

In fact you could turn it into a small contest...who can find the hotest chick to wear the gear and take a pic.

Michaela...you first.

[ 12. August 2005, 11:07: Message edited by: Clearedhot ]

Originally posted by Clearedhot:

In fact you could turn it into a small contest...who can find the hotest chick to wear the gear and take a pic.

I've got that nailed. (sts...maybe) If only you guys could see the talent walking around my campus. :D

Guest AF2ANG

Here is a thought...A gallery with hot chicks wearing Baseops.net gear.

Michaela...you first.

Bring it on Buddy. :D

Or I could be the test wearer for T-shirt designs. Make a few designs up, send me smalls in each one, I'll put it each one on and take pics...you guys decide which is your fav. ;)

Michaela

Originally posted by AF2ANG:

Bring it on Buddy. :D

Or I could be the test wearer for T-shirt designs. Make a few designs up, send me smalls in each one, I'll put it each one on and take pics...you guys decide which is your fav. ;)

Michaela

Ok Michaela, here you go, try it on.

baseops.JPG

Guest AF2ANG

Ok Michaela, here you go, try it on.

I need physical articles of clothing, or whatever you want to call 'em before I can try anything on. Not sure I've seen the AF pasties, where do I find those?

Michaela

[ 12. August 2005, 18:15: Message edited by: AF2ANG ]

Guest lakefisher
Originally posted by AF2ANG:

Not sure I've seen the AF pasties, where do I find those?

to save fiscal funds and enhance logistical support, the AF and the Postal service have created this dual-use item.

(not shown actual size)

firstflight3723gv.jpg