Pregnancy and PCS (TDY en route)

Champ Kind

I cannot imagine that this situation is very unique, but I haven't been able to find any definitive answers.

My wife and I are expecting our first child, but the expected due date falls right in between the scheduled completion of a TDY en route at Little Rock (C-130J initial qual - I'm currently an E/H guy) and our RNLTD to our next base (Dyess).

My question:

Is there any way to extend one's TDY en route without taking leave until after the due date? It would be good to have some continuity in our OB/GYN appointments and have the baby in Little Rock, then travel to Abilene, versus the other two options of:

-Her leaving Little Rock in the third trimester and into our yet-to-be-purchased house (we will have closed on it by then), 8 hours away from me whenever the time comes to have the baby

-Us having to travel from Little Rock to Abilene with her nearly full-term to have the baby in Abilene having never visited any of the practitioners in the area.

Anyone swung something like this before?

Thanks!

Isn't there a section for this type of information on the RIP for your assignment or did you get the RIP so long ago that it wasn't a factor. I do believe you shouldn't be PCSed past a certain time in a dependent's pregnancy that is a foul.

Isn't there a section for this type of information on the RIP for your assignment or did you get the RIP so long ago that it wasn't a factor. I do believe you shouldn't be PCSed past a certain time in a dependent's pregnancy that is a foul.

I got the RIP for the TDY en route before we knew that we were pregnant.

A block on the assignment RIP did have a block for pregnancy.

The TDY en route is immediately followed by the PCS. I am considering moving the entire thing to the right and trying to start in the next latest J-model class, but before I ask my CC, I was hoping to hear that there was a simpler way to remain in Little Rock a little while longer and not mess with the timeline, as RIPs have already been signed and orders are being created.

I take it you're already at Little Rock on TDY, so changing it from a TDY enroute (code 3) to TDY and return (code 1) then PCS is not an option?

otherwise, Report as quick as you can. Use house hunting PTDY, then Paternity Leave after the birth. You'd just have to return to Dyess between them....

I don't have an answer for your specific question though, just ways around it.

As a herc guy, you should know that you're only guaranteed to be present for conception OR delivery...you choose.

In seriousness, just talk to your CC: if there's an easy fix (class swap or whatever) he can arrange it thru AFPC/ AETC. That's a big part of his job. Expect him to work your miracle.

ETA: or, he'll help you figure out how to mitigate the pain.

I was rolled back a class at C-130E PIQ for my daughter's birth. It was easy for the 62nd because it was immediately after the simulator-to-flight line transition, the roll-back gave me two weeks down-time to enjoy our newborn. The roll-back coded as emergency situations or something like that, had to take a few days of leave, but not the entire time.

This was before 10 days paternity leave was signed into law.

Talk to the 714th TRS Flt/CC for advice...it's not the first time they've seen this.

As a herc guy, you should know that you're only guaranteed to be present for conception, OR delivery...you choose.

"2" on that. Glad I will at least be on the same landmass when the kid is born.

Talk to the 714th TRS Flt/CC for advice...it's not the first time they've seen this.

That's my plan for now, after talking to my current SQ/CC. I just wanted to ask the question here to see if there was some specific provision I could request. I think requesting one class later might be the easiest thing to do.

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure there's something in some reg somewhere about not PCSing once you were in the 8th month. I've known folks who've either extended their DEROS (PCSing from overseas to CONUS) or extended their TDY (TDY enroute at the schoolhouse) by fact of having their RNLTD adjusted right appropriately, all IAW said "reg" and no extra leave-taking required.

I can't even imagine PCSing with an any less than a 1 month old. Aside from the stress on your spouse, the confluence of events that will lead to an uneventful first month of life is staggering. If everything goes according to plan you will breathe a sigh of relief.

The way the military challenges me and others it's a crime that we don't get a month off for

paternity leave.

Congratulations on your upcoming blessing but that TX/IQ class will wait, burn up all that extra leave you have and never look back. I didn't and I won't for the upcoming birth of our twins and I won't look back in regret either whether I retire as an O-5 or an O-4, if I can swing it I might settle on O-3 with continuation!

And for those that are interested, no we weren't on fertility drugs and I was a B-1 guy at first, and the twins are boys, our first is a boy as well. There is hope for you guys yet!

My wife and I left Barkatraz in the 8th month of her pregnancy to escape the C-section monsters in Shreveport because they didn't want to be sued for complications with a VBAC. It's interesting that we had two normal VBACs after we arrived in Omaha. I guess that says something about the competency of the medical profession in LA.

We moved our PCS date up to escape. I'm pretty sure it can be done very late in a pregnancy, since we did it.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I just came across this thread 9.5 months later, and I just wanted to close the loop on this for anyone that might read it in the future. Thanks everyone for the advice, and I can sum it up with these simple words for anyone that has something like this come up:

Talk to you commander.

Mine made it all work out for us. He was able to, on short-notice, have us PCS early to ensure we'd be in-place at our new base (after the TDY en route) well before the due-date and doctor recommended "no travel" time.