Deploying with other units

Guest Gismo

Hey first time posting here, but have been using this site as reference for some time now. Anyways, I'm a pilot in an active duty squadron at my first duty location. Deployments are pretty slow in our unit right now and I'm curious what the process would be in order to deploy with a different unit, either active duty or guard/reserve. Is there someone I can talk to at AFPC? I'm really curious about filling a flying spot at a unit that is being exhausted by their own deployment schedule and maybe taking someone's spot who would like a chance to sit a deployment out. I'm looking to build my experience as a young pilot and right now we are under flown, and we're not getting enough hours at my unit. Any incite that any of you have would be much appreciated.

Hey first time posting here, but have been using this site as reference for some time now. Anyways, I'm a pilot in an active duty squadron at my first duty location. Deployments are pretty slow in our unit right now and I'm curious what the process would be in order to deploy with a different unit, either active duty or guard/reserve. Is there someone I can talk to at AFPC? I'm really curious about filling a flying spot at a unit that is being exhausted by their own deployment schedule and maybe taking someone's spot who would like a chance to sit a deployment out. I'm looking to build my experience as a young pilot and right now we are under flown, and we're not getting enough hours at my unit. Any incite that any of you have would be much appreciated.

Predator2006.jpg

Or enjoy your green grass while you're still on that side of the fence. Trust me on this. You get burned out REALLY quick, but once you get that "he likes to deploy" stink on you, you will NEVER get rid of it.

Since you said you were a young pilot, I will assume for the moment that you are an O versus an E. Pretty safe assumption.

First, you don't volunteer to help other units through AFPC. Those are usually deals that are worked by the squadrons or OG's. Second, where are you located? I'd love to get orders there so I can sit out a couple of deployments.

Last, if you are going to talk to AFPC, then make sure you have talked with your supervisor and CC first. All officer assignments, 365's, etc are routed through the Sq/CC. Nothing a CC likes more than getting a phone call from the guy working the desk at AFPC telling him that one of his pilots has volunteered for everything under the sun and the guy hasn't even stopped by to chat. Good way to end up on the radar and not in a good way.

The only real advice here: If there is a unit out there that has folks that are exhausted in it, figure out which unit, see if they'd be willing to have you deploy with them, work out all the details and take that to your CC. Tell him you are a volunteer and see what he says.

Are you at an associate unit or at an active duty base? E, H or J qual'd? I may be able to steer you to a unit that will take your help.

Edit: Can't spell good.

Edited by Herk Driver
  • Like 1

Guest 130Grouch

Are you a herk guy, if you want to deploy it's easy, like the driver said go through your commander first but I guarantee every herk unit besides yours is tired and will more than likely be willing to help. If you do this though, expect a lot of pain in dealing with coordination, getting orders straight and overall being kind of a pain in the a$$ since you are not going out in a mass package as is the case with a lot of unit deployments. You will more than likely also have to do a lot of legwork on your own running around getting all your stuff square as most DCCs, in my humble experience, are poor at knowing what to do or they just don't tell you until the last minute what you are missing. Good luck, but I wouldn't be too willing to jump in. Your time will come to deploy...

I am a member of an AETC unit so I have no deployment requirements. With that said, I am working this process right now for the 5th time. I have found it best to get permission from the boss to contact other units to see if they need help. If you are in Guard unit you can find out which units are in the AEF bucket for the time you want to be gone through your logistics plans office. Call the units directly once you have that info. They will use your help, just remember that there are alot of folks making the same phone calls right now because there are no man days out there other than deployments.

• Upvote 1

Short version: set yourself up.

AFPC regularly puts out short-notice requests for 365s & OIF/OEF billets. Let your commander know and keep your eyes peeled for any requests that pique your curiosity. It also doesn't hurt to make friends with your UDM and make sure your mobility folder is 100% ready to go. If you want to just get out there and do something, I know for a FACT they are always looking for pilots to pull scheduling duties at many undisclosed locations; there are always Exec jobs out there as well. It isn't "war", but you are contributing a little more directly to the war than back home within America's Educational Toy Company.