Desert PT Testing

capt4fans

Best we be careful about what we wish for... They could change it to make it even more arbitrary and less "realistic"

BF

I think the trend is at least in the right direction. I'm too young to actually have been there, but the VO2 Max test on the bike seemed like we tried to boil fitness down to a science a little too much. Now at least we actually run. I remember back in good ole' ROTC days out PFT was a 2 min pushups/2 min situps/2 mile run...may have just been a local thing but that was harder and I was surprised the actual AF test was easier.

Anyways, the Marines have a functional part of the test where they drag dummies and sprint and lift ammo cans and etc. and the Army is supposedly working on something similar. I don't always trust the Marines b/c they led us down the hell hole of different uniforms but I don't know too many fat ass marines either so maybe they can lead the way on this one.

The army is also taking crossfit seriously and although this particular study wasn't perfect it at least shows that doing more than long, slow runs and some pushups and situps actually makes you fitter; what a concept. See attached. It's also a 69 page article so I guess I'll throw in a sts for when you open it.

Edit: Ok, it's too big to attach. Follow link if you are a CFJ subscriber.

Edited by nsplayr

Anyways, the Marines have a functional part of the test where they drag dummies and sprint and lift ammo cans and etc.

So we should be tested on whether we can physically handle a tactical sortie and call it good. I like it.

Guest Crew Report

I think the trend is at least in the right direction. I'm too young to actually have been there, but the VO2 Max test on the bike seemed like we tried to boil fitness down to a science a little too much. Now at least we actually run. I remember back in good ole' ROTC days out PFT was a 2 min pushups/2 min situps/2 mile run...

How is having a minute less for pushups and situps easier?

Anyways, the Marines have a functional part of the test where they drag dummies and sprint and lift ammo cans and etc. and the Army is supposedly working on something similar. I don't always trust the Marines b/c they led us down the hell hole of different uniforms but I don't know too many fat ass marines either so maybe they can lead the way on this one.

A functional fitness test in my job would involve how many times per minute you can smash the printer because the POS doesn't work. Or how quick you can get out of the seat and check on the chicken nuggets in the oven. And how long you can hold your breath in the lav because it hasn't been serviced in days, boiling a fine stew in the desert heat.

Of the many things I don't understand about people in the Air Force, the comparison of everything to the Marines is close to the top. If you wanted to PT like the Marines, join the Marines.

So we should be tested on whether we can physically handle a tactical sortie and call it good. I like it.

I guess I agree from a logical point of view b/c in theory you only need to be as in-shape as your job dictates. Along those lines, do fighter guys have to maintain the ability to pass/do well on the FACT? In theory that has a purpose and it at least asks you to train more major muscle groups than the standard PT test. Plus it makes you do curls for the girls and that's never a bad thing to throw in either.

How is having a minute less for pushups and situps easier?

Because to get max points the reps were higher. It was something like 80 in 2 minutes rather than 62 in 1 minute. In my view that allowed you to maintain good form because you didn't have to do more than 1 per second and also made you do more reps which is a better test of overall output IMHO. Same went for situps. I know for myself I have to work harder to get 80 total reps without a failed rep than I do to get 62 in a minute on the current test.

A functional fitness test in my job would involve how many times per minute you can smash the printer because the POS doesn't work. Or how quick you can get out of the seat and check on the chicken nuggets in the oven. And how long you can hold your breath in the lav because it hasn't been serviced in days, boiling a fine stew in the desert heat.

Of the many things I don't understand about people in the Air Force, the comparison of everything to the Marines is close to the top. If you wanted to PT like the Marines, join the Marines.

Point taken that not very many of us are "warriors" and need a warrior-level of fitness. Flyers are pretty much as tip-of-the-spear (sts) as it gets for officers (other than officer JTACS and etc. etc.) and we still are essentially sitting in a seat for hours on end. Can I do my job if I'm out of shape, sure.

On the other hand, what I respect about the Marines and wish the entire military would emulate is the actual focus on being martial and showing some old-school toughness. Does every Marine paper-pusher/finance officer/etc. need to get an excellent on the rifle range qual or max his PT test? No, but there's a greater expectation for officers to lead from the front and not be a puss in general and I think that unfortunately the AF is on the other end of the spectrum, where officers can bitch about everything and be fat and lead their troops via email. It's an attitude thing that isn't gonna get solved by a stupid PT test but it's just a symptom of the greater problem that we can't even pass an easy freaking test and are worried about how our people look versus how they lead.

Guest Crew Report

Because to get max points the reps were higher. It was something like 80 in 2 minutes rather than 62 in 1 minute. In my view that allowed you to maintain good form because you didn't have to do more than 1 per second and also made you do more reps which is a better test of overall output IMHO. Same went for situps. I know for myself I have to work harder to get 80 total reps without a failed rep than I do to get 62 in a minute on the current test.

Okay...and there wasn't a min-standard for each component back in the day (like there is now) either that would make you fail the whole test. So it's not really easier.

Okay...and there wasn't a min-standard for each component back in the day (like there is now) either that would make you fail the whole test. So it's not really easier.

If you can't meet the mins for pushups and situps you need to reevaluate your life. If you can't meet the mins for the waist and you happen to be 6'5" then I'm sorry, when I'm CSAF I'll change the test.

My point is that the test should be harder, more about functional fitness, and we should all be passing it without all this bitching and moaning. Yes, I understand you don't need to be super-fit to do well at your job, but you're a god damn military officer; show some toughness and stop the excuses.

*Not directed at you Crew, just in general*

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Hueypilot812

I remember back in good ole' ROTC days out PFT was a 2 min pushups/2 min situps/2 mile run...may have just been a local thing but that was harder and I was surprised the actual AF test was easier.

I remember back when they had the standing long jump. I can remember being a stocky 69" tall and putting everything I had into it to make the jump and pass, while the 6'5" dudes just hopped and maxed the test out...yeah, that was a great measure of fitness!

From what I've experienced in the 11 years I've been in the Air Force, they've never really had a coherent stance on fitness or measuring fitness. My time in the Army was the opposite...2 mile run, push ups and situps. Min score for each event. Get at least 180 points out of 300 to pass. And you better pass or you're in deep shit.

But don't work out too hard... High Intensity Training

High-intensity fitness programs to be reviewed

Times staff

Posted : Wednesday Sep 8, 2010 21:44:45 EDT

High-intensity fitness training programs like P90X and CrossFit are exploding in popularity in both the military community and the civilian world because they offer dramatic results with aggressive regimens, frequently timed and performed with high repetitive loads.

But anecdotal concerns have surfaced in both communities about injury rates, particularly muscle injuries such as exertional rhabdomyolysis — basically, too much intense exercise. Symptoms include severe, incapacitating muscle pain; elevated blood levels of the muscle-cell enzyme creatine kinase, which can cause kidney problems; and myoglobin in the urine, which may turn the urine a dark brown color.

In response to those concerns, the Consortium for Health and Military Performance at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., is hosting an upcoming workshop for military medical professionals to develop standard definitions of high-intensity exercise programs, discuss the merits of these programs, develop guidelines for their safe use, and draft an agenda for further research.

Military Times would like to hear about your experiences with high-intensity training programs. Have they worked for you? Have you suffered any injuries along the way — particularly anything approaching rhabdomyolysis? Any advice you would pass on to newbies who are thinking about jumping in? E-mail highintensity@militarytimes.com.

Edited by BigFreddie