F-86 crash in Hickory

LJDRVR

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/storie...h.1b3b58b1.html

Looks like Ed Shipley. Interesting to see if this complicates the ongoing investigation into T. Mike.

Best wishes to Ed's family, friends and employees.

They may look neat and are straightforward to fly, but make no mistake, these first generation jet fighters have many unforgiving aspects, with worthless egress systems. Potentially dangerous machines.

Robert Guillford

Jimmy Rossi

Tom Delashaw

Come to mind. I don't know about Shipley or Guillford's reputations, but Rossi and Deleshaw were world-class, experienced aviators.

[ 31. July 2006, 20:01: Message edited by: Toro ]

Hacker, thanks for the correction. I mistook the stripes on the vertical stab for Shipley's jet. You're correct, Wyatt Fuller was the mishap pilot. Anybody know if the Sabres still are equiped with a dragchute? That's one thing I miss about the Lear. Every smaller jet oughta have one. I used to brief Copilots on the high speed RTO's, don't even ask, If I abort just pull the handle.

[ 24. July 2006, 21:40: Message edited by: LJDRVR ]

Eerily similiar to the 24 Sep 72 F-86 runway overrun at Sac Executive. Only difference was that 86 went into a Farrell's ice cream parlour after it went through the airport perimeter fence.

Originally posted by MD:

Eerily similar to the 24 Sep 72 F-86 runway overrun at Sac Executive. Only difference was that 86 went into a Farrell's ice cream parlour after it went through the airport perimeter fence.

True, I never even drew the correlation. The Hillsboro crash last week took out several houses on the ground.

The jet warbird movement better get it's act together or they're going to find themselves regulated out of existence. I can think of seven accidents in the last two years, all of which involved loss of life except for the DM F-86 gear up mishap.

Agree. I still remember the Sabre that packed it in at the '93 El Toro airshow following a loop. And the last lost jet warbird that I remember well was the Mig-17 that crashed near Truth or Consequences on the way to AZ. And there have been several others, as you say. Theymay just very well regulate themselves out of work, not to mention destroying some very rare aircraft.

Originally posted by LJDRVR:

True, I never even drew the correlation. The Hillsboro crash last week took out several houses on the ground.

The jet warbird movement better get it's act together or they're going to find themselves regulated out of existence. I can think of seven accidents in the last two years, all of which involved loss of life except for the DM F-86 gear up mishap. [/QB]

Guest cbire880

I recall Shipley having a close call a few years back in that -86 involving pyros at an airshow. Something about the ground crew blowing them early (STS) and him having to over-G to avoid the blast. Wrecked the hydraulics and forced the gear out.

I also remember when he traded in his P-51 for the F-86. Sad day at the airport, he didn't fly it nearly as much. Had one quite interesting incident involving a Cherokee who cut him off on final and *****ed when he near buzzed them trying to spool up to go around... Good to see his luck is still holding out.

for those and their families whose luck hasn't.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Hacker:

Where did you get Shipley's name from?

I think Buzz Moseley recommended Shipley. No wait, that was the Thunderbirds.

Never mind.

Guest sleepy

An old fart told me today that the Orenda engine on the Canadian versions--and this one was Canadian--had problems with with compressor stalls if the coals were put to it too quickly, moreso than the GE engines.

Is he just blowing smoke? Me not know.