Any AFSOC 130 Engineers?

Guest rob C5 ENG

Guest rob C5 ENG

Does anyone know the length and location of schools for FE's headed to C-130 U's at Hurlburt? Currently flying C-5's but AFSOC is calling my name!!

Edited by rob C5 ENG

I assume you mean AC-130U's? I'm not a gunpig guy but I know the schoolhouse is 100% at Hurlburt with a few tdy's off station to learn more about the mission etc. Not sure about the length. If you are coming from C-5's you'll likely need a C-130E qual from Little Rock first, about 3-4 months worth at the most since you'll only do Phase I, no LL/AD/Form.

Guest rob C5 ENG

Yea, ive been on C-5s for about 4 years. Its an awesome gig dont get me wrong, im just ready to do something else. Yea, im absolutely positive ill need the course at little rock to get basic 130 qual'd but im trying to figure out where i go from there....Ive heard theres an AFSOC class ill have to take out of kirtland, then ive heard the course is at Hurlburt

"HOURS AND HOURS OF BOREDOM BROKEN UP BY MOMENTS OF SHEER TERROR"

Edited by rob C5 ENG

Yea, ive been on C-5s for about 4 years. Its an awesome gig dont get me wrong, im just ready to do something else. Yea, im absolutely positive ill need the course at little rock to get basic 130 qual'd but im trying to figure out where i go from there....Ive heard theres an AFSOC class ill have to take out of kirtland, then ive heard the course is at Hurlburt

MC-130s or AC-130s?...world of difference

MC-130 = Kirtland

AC-130U = Hurlburt

AC-130H = Academics at Hurlburt, then Cannon

• 1 month later...

A word of warning. There is a check valve from plane X to the C-130. There is a blocking diode from C-130 to MC-130, as well as a check valve. I quote Yoda: "If you choose to join the darkside, forever will it consume your destiny". Don't get me wrong. I love what I'm doing. It just isn't for everyone.

A word of warning. There is a check valve from plane X to the C-130. There is a blocking diode from C-130 to MC-130, as well as a check valve. I quote Yoda: "If you choose to join the darkside, forever will it consume your destiny". Don't get me wrong. I love what I'm doing. It just isn't for everyone.

Hey Jimmy,

Any word on what the job satisfaction level of your gunship guys is?

In regards to the flying is it pretty much exercises, proficency, deployments? Do you get some decent non AOR TDY's? What about the Talon I know what you guys provide deployed and that even in peacetime insert guys all over the world when the need arises. Do you get any CONUS TDY action like off station trainers or cargo movement in the states?

My current bird pretty much see's WIC, Red Flag, Local Pro, and the AOR. We get one or two off station trainers and a couple tail swaps a year. I know from a mission perspective you can't beat what the AFSOC community does and the job satisfaction it provides but I would like to see some places and travel before I take the blue pill.

Any advice or info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Jimmy,

Any word on what the job satisfaction level of your gunship guys is?

In regards to the flying is it pretty much exercises, proficency, deployments? Do you get some decent non AOR TDY's? What about the Talon I know what you guys provide deployed and that even in peacetime insert guys all over the world when the need arises. Do you get any CONUS TDY action like off station trainers or cargo movement in the states?

My current bird pretty much see's WIC, Red Flag, Local Pro, and the AOR. We get one or two off station trainers and a couple tail swaps a year. I know from a mission perspective you can't beat what the AFSOC community does and the job satisfaction it provides but I would like to see some places and travel before I take the blue pill.

Any advice or info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The gunship guys I talk to like what they are doing.

Exercise, pro, deploy. Yup. No such thing as a non-AOR TDY. Go to C-5s for that. No cargo movement in the states. There is an occasional (read - almost never) need for some off-the-wall wierd shit but you can mostly count on Iraqistan and Afghanistan (99% of your time).

Bottom line: If you want to travel to nice places, don't go AFSOC. I know I made it sound crappy but the reality is you will actually contribute - directly contribute - to the real fighting. You will be able to say you did something - most people will never be able to say that. AFSOC delivers the rounds and trigger pullers in varying capacities. That is all we do. It isn't that we are better, we just allow our people to think, we have waaaaay cooler toys and the level of beauracracy is dramatically reduced.

Not sure if this answered your questions but I can assure you that if you join the darkside, you will like it. There is a lot I cannot tell you here.

Bottom line: If you want to travel to nice places, don't go AFSOC. I know I made it sound crappy but the reality is you will actually contribute - directly contribute - to the real fighting. You will be able to say you did something - most people will never be able to say that. AFSOC delivers the rounds and trigger pullers in varying capacities. That is all we do. It isn't that we are better, we just allow our people to think, we have waaaaay cooler toys and the level of beauracracy is dramatically reduced.

Of course, there are a lot of ACC and other people who qualify as the exception to that "most people" statement, but otherwise... :notworthy::salut:

Edited by GovernmentMan

Guest CharlieDontSurf

Agreed. Not so say that there aren't Non-AFSOC types doing their part. If you are asking if AFSOC would be satisfying, I think it really depends on your mindset. He said, "travel". Not good for that. Big picture SA? Good for that.

Tell us another story Uncle Jimmmy!

Great posts, btw. The Force is strong with this one.

Edited by CharlieDontSurf