MiG-29 OVT

M2

mig_2.jpg

Jetmaker MiG Displays Latest Maverick Engine

On 5 August, the latest version of the MiG-29, the MiG-29 OVT, was demonstrated at Zhukovsky with a new all-axis thrust-vectoring nozzle. It is this version of the MiG-29 that Russia will be offering to India in a tender for 126 fighter jets later this year, MiG chief Alexei Fyodorov said.

Discuss.

Cheers! M2

Well, that settles it. Press on with BRAC, retire the Vipers, buy as many F-22's as you can with a limited budget and bring on the UCAVs.

If India did so well in that last exercise, Cope whatever the hell it was, it will be interesting to see how they employ this new technology.

I hope they come out with a KC-135OVT.

Interesting. All-axis thrust-vectoring.

I remember reading an article last year about the F-16's vs. the MiG-29's in simulated dog fights. The MiG-29 had superb control at low speeds and high AOA, but as long as the F-16's kept up around corner speed (around 400kts if Im not mistaken, give or take 20kts depending on altitude), they wooped the Fulcrums all day long. Also the Fulcrums had very poor avionics and visibility compared to the F-16.

The 29 is definatly an interesing plane though. I'll have to check out that video when I get home (these 5 hour classes at ERAU extended campus suck, hehe).

Guest driftsight

rangerbob5 - you lucky bastard! I missed last years show - had to leave 2 days prior... And this year I was in the middle of a PCS so I couldn't go either. What else did they have there? IM me...

The regular MiGs were no joke in the WVR arena, this one will be better. It's not a case of the jet beating you though. The Viper, Eagle and MiG are all relative in BFM, a lot depends on where you start and who's in the jet. The HMS/Archer combo was tough for us (Eagles) before the 9x/JHMCS but now we get the first shot. The MiG still BLOWS BVR, which is where the fight should happen vs either a Viper or an Eagle.

[ 29. August 2005, 21:46: Message edited by: EvilEagle ]

I'm guessing you fly the F-15C's EvilEagle? Are you all using the JHMCS and AIM-9X now? I watched a video of the AIM-9X and that thing makes my jaw drop. Same with the Python-5. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of one of those missiles.