Free money for those in the military

MilitaryToFinance

Now I find myself faced with the dilemma of voting in favor of my own pocketbook or with actual principles. As much as I love money though I think I'm going to have to actually stick to my own principles here and not vote to pay myself. For those who aren't aware there is a proposed amendment to the state constitution in Ohio on the ballot this November, Issue 1. This amendment would authorize the state to issue up to $200MM of bonds to fund payments to any veterans of the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan or Iraq. The payments would be $100/month not to exceed $1,000 for anybody who served in the actual conflicts or $50/month not to exceed $500 for veterans who served elsewhere during those conflicts.

So basically anybody who has been in the military as an Ohio resident during GWOT would get $500 and if you actually deployed (don't have details on where they draw the line) you would get $1,000. The logic behind this is a "thank you" to those who serve in the military and apparently this same amendment to give bonuses to soldiers has been passed in Ohio for WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. No politician is opposing it because it would be political suicide so I'm guessing it will pass. Personally I'm not for it even though it would give me money. I mean isn't the state supposed to issue bonds in order to fund something that will pay the funds back and generate revenue for the state. This is just issuing more debt to hand out cash to other people. Seems stupid to me.

Now I find myself faced with the dilemma of voting in favor of my own pocketbook or with actual principles. As much as I love money though I think I'm going to have to actually stick to my own principles here and not vote to pay myself. For those who aren't aware there is a proposed amendment to the state constitution in Ohio on the ballot this November, Issue 1. This amendment would authorize the state to issue up to $200MM of bonds to fund payments to any veterans of the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan or Iraq. The payments would be $100/month not to exceed $1,000 for anybody who served in the actual conflicts or $50/month not to exceed $500 for veterans who served elsewhere during those conflicts.

So basically anybody who has been in the military as an Ohio resident during GWOT would get $500 and if you actually deployed (don't have details on where they draw the line) you would get $1,000. The logic behind this is a "thank you" to those who serve in the military and apparently this same amendment to give bonuses to soldiers has been passed in Ohio for WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. No politician is opposing it because it would be political suicide so I'm guessing it will pass. Personally I'm not for it even though it would give me money. I mean isn't the state supposed to issue bonds in order to fund something that will pay the funds back and generate revenue for the state. This is just issuing more debt to hand out cash to other people. Seems stupid to me.

Unless they're using this as some sort of stimulus... expecting that you folks to go out and spend that money thus getting someof that cash back in sales tax and income tax.

Does seem kind of weird though. What group is next for a handout? Free cash for police/fire/ems? It's a nice gesture and maybe if the state was running a surplus budget (which I highly doubt) that would be another story.

Are these payments for life?

If it were for disabled vets only, I'd vote for it. I've already been paid for my service in GWOT and next time I go over, I'll be paid again. I don't need a subsidy.

Seems like disabled vets continue pay for their service everyday for the rest of their lives. IMHO, we can't pay them enough.

Are these payments for life?

It's only for $1,000 (or $500) max, paid out monthly until it reaches the limit.

IMHO, we can't pay them enough.

Agreed. :flag_waving:

It might be hidden somewhere in that bill that the free money is considered taxable income.

Good possibility. When I went to A&P school, the "grants" I got from PA for being a post-9/11 veteran were considered taxable income. It didn't affect me too badly (my income was shit that year anyway...), but I still had to pay tax on it.