USAF PT Gear/Uniform

PolyestherDuck

I recently heard that the rules on wearing partial PT uniforms had changed... ie people could now workout while wearing just the shorts and a civilian t-shirt or vice versa, so long as they were not at an official formation. I was in the gym recently with a buddy when he mentioned to one of the enlisted troops we work with that folks might get upset about partial uniform. I spoke to him afterwards and told him I'd heard that the rules had changed but I'd look into it... Anyone got the low-down? Did the regs change?

- PS. I thought I asked in another post but I couldn't find the post or topic. Feel free to add your other PT uniform gripes/complaints here. Oh yeah, and as winter approaches, happy swishing in your long pants.

I recently heard that the rules on wearing partial PT uniforms had changed... ie people could now workout while wearing just the shorts and a civilian t-shirt or vice versa, so long as they were not at an official formation. I was in the gym recently with a buddy when he mentioned to one of the enlisted troops we work with that folks might get upset about partial uniform. I spoke to him afterwards and told him I'd heard that the rules had changed but I'd look into it... Anyone got the low-down? Did the regs change?

- PS. I thought I asked in another post but I couldn't find the post or topic. Feel free to add your other PT uniform gripes/complaints here. Oh yeah, and as winter approaches, happy swishing in your long pants.

Here's a better question...why would you? I don't wear ANY part of the PT uniform at home station...I prefer my mesh basketball shorts and cotton, plain t-shirts, or my long running pants to the swishing PT pants.

But, to answer your question, I've seen no guidance on a change...the AFI-36-chow my hog used to say "any combo of civilian and PT attire is permitted".

Here at WRI no mix-n-match is permitted, by ABW/CC policy. Couldn't tell ya what the latest 36-chowmyhog says, and I don't care enough to look it up.

At least we're not required to wear that shit in the gym anymore...

Here at WRI no mix-n-match is permitted, by ABW/CC policy. Couldn't tell ya what the latest 36-chowmyhog says, and I don't care enough to look it up.

At least we're not required to wear that shit in the gym anymore...

So, the ABW/CC prohibits something the AFI explicitly permits...why can't all the commanders just play by the same rules?

So, the ABW/CC prohibits something the AFI explicitly permits...why can't all the commanders just play by the same rules?

Would be nice if the AFIs applied to... you know, THE WHOLE AIR FORCE... and not just bases where CCs decided they didn't need to waste their time on local sups.

It's a utopia...

Would be nice if the AFIs applied to... you know, THE WHOLE AIR FORCE... and not just bases where CCs decided they didn't need to waste their time on local sups.

It's a utopia...

Don't you know that full-bird colonels always know better than the 4-star who signs the AFIs?

While I was scouring the AFI to see if I could wear these nice, moisture wicking black socks with my PT uniform (you can't) I found this...

2.4. Running in formation is highly discouraged as a form of unit PT. Formations runs are used for esprit

de corps but are not compatible with PT requirements to meet the goal of improving physical fitness and

can have negative training effect on both the very fit and poor fit members.

Not that I mind running in formation but I just found this interesting. It makes sense since I usually get a mild yet annoying case of shin splints and chafe the crap out of my legs since we run so darn slow.

It also kind of shuts down the "we all want you to look the same since we are in formation" argument.

I actually like formation runs..especially when we all get together at the end for a rousing rendition of the Air Force song.

Alas, I will form up with a smile and then when I am done I ll hit the gym for a workout.

The vast majority of any running-related injuries I suffered in college can be attributed to slow formation runs. Yeah, the 6-foot runner going the same pace as our 5-foot shapely individual is PERFECTLY healthy.

Less PT uniforms, less rules, more actual hard metabolic training for those who NEED it. PT only mandatory for scores 75 and below, and make it a CrossFit-mentality workout. If it doesn't hurt, you're not working hard enough.

::off soap box::

F'ing USAF PT.