The Officers Club

Champ Kind

Serious, you're giving credit to the shoeclerks for this? Sounds more like PC careerists with wings not wanting to uphold the find traditions of the O'Club in fear that it may end their upward mobility. :bash:

We ain't talking about Bolling here, if the death blow is dealt against the Nellis Club, then there will be no one to blame but those that let it happen...

Shoe is a mindset, not an AFSC. Plenty of shoes are wearing wings...look at the 'Deid thread if you have any doubt about that. It may be the double-d's enforcing the rules, but it's the flyers in charge that make those rules in the first place.

Things are SO different than my time growing up as an Air Force brat in the 60's and 70's. My Dad was an Air Force officer and pilot, so going to the "O" Club was what we did. Typically, we went at least 2 nights per week and often my folks went more than that. They had a lot of programs to keep the kids busy and I had more than one birthday party at a function room at the club. It was a part of the culture and of the times. I also recall that there was a "stag bar" and I remember it being quite a rowdy place by the sound (I wasn't allowed to go in there). Anyway, political correctness, competition from off-base activities and other factors served to ruin things for good. As much as I love the Air Force and always will, even if I was a Navy guy myself. It just isn't the same anymore, and that is so unfortunate.

Guest AlphaSigOU

As of 01 Oct, the Nellis club will only be open Wednesday and Friday.

That sux! :flipoff:

"Here's to us, and those like us, there's damned few left, and most of 'em are gone."

• 4 weeks later...

Charlie's at Altus is all but closed. FSS took all the TV's out and moved them to the "All ranks" Club Altus for football season. They won't even let her open on Sunday or Monday. It looks to me that the only reason it's open is for the steak grill.

As of 01 Oct, the Nellis club will only be open Wednesday and Friday.

Wow. So is it closed for lunch, too? What about all you can eat king crab legs dinner?

Charlie's at Altus is all but closed. FSS took all the TV's out and moved them to the "All ranks" Club Altus for football season. They won't even let her open on Sunday or Monday. It looks to me that the only reason it's open is for the steak grill.

WTFO!!! Go figure, the only place that makes money and they are working to close it down. What about all of the heritage in that place? We all know how the Air Force feels about "heritage."

Guest Crew Report

Poor Charlie :(

I thought they were moving charlie to the golf course while they did renovations?

Charlie's DOES NOT NEED renovations! That "worn-down" feel is part of what makes that place great.

On the other hand...if they are closing that place (as lots of SVC/CCs in the past have wanted to do apparently) then that is a shame. She is THE hardest working/most dedicated services employee in the AF. She has what thousands of others lack--pride in her job!

Charlie's DOES NOT NEED renovations! That "worn-down" feel is part of what makes that place great.

On the other hand...if they are closing that place (as lots of SVC/CCs in the past have wanted to do apparently) then that is a shame. She is THE hardest working/most dedicated services employee in the AF. She has what thousands of others lack--pride in her job!

Question: Never been to Charlie's, Altus, or anywhere in Oklahoma for that matter, but in my 24 years I never understood why SVS would shut down a place that pours money into the NAF coffers. Why would the SVS/CC's and their minions past and present want to do something like that? Is it due to it's favor with the OPS crowd and not shoes and other non-sortie producing types?

I guess it would have to go along with somethng like this.... "That place/thing/activity is entirely to popular, someone's going to get hurt/arrested/DUI'd and that's not going on my record, we can't have that. Shut it down; it's for the greater good/force protection/insert feeble BS excuse here"

WTF

Anyone.... anyone... Bueller...