Frank Gorenc to get third star, 3AF

M2

gorenc_f2.jpg

Air Force Maj. Gen. Frank Gorenc has been nominated for appointment to the grade of lieutenant general and assignment as commander, Third Air Force, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. Gorenc is currently serving as director, air and space operations, Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.

This rocks! :rock:

For those of you who don't know MG Gorenc, he is one of the nicest and most personable guys you will ever meet. I had the pleasure of working with him at SHAPE, and I am extremely glad to see he continues to do well. He is currently ACC Director of Air and Space Operations, and those of you working for 3AF will have one of the best as your new NAF commander!

Cheers! M2

Guest BAK12
This rocks! :rock:

For those of you who don't know MG Gorenc, he is one of the nicest and most personable guys you will ever meet. I had the pleasure of working with him at SHAPE, and I am extremely glad to see he continues to do well. He is currently ACC Director of Air and Space Operations, and those of you working for 3AF will have one of the best as your new NAF commander!

Cheers! M2

I totally agaree M2; I was TDY to Balad in 06' when he was the Wing/CC. Super nice guy; even made "us enlisted guys" feel like we were contributing to the fight. I am presently stationed at ETAR and I know that 3rd AF will be in good hands.

BAK12

Gorenc also won the Joseph A. Moller Award--the most outstanding wing commander in ACC--for his stint as the 332d Air Expeditionary Wing commander, where he was responsible for about 21,000 airmen deployed through four Air Expeditionary Force rotations at five air bases in Iraq to include Balad, the busiest single-runway operations in DOD and second only in the world to London's Heathrow International Airport.

Gorenc is just a class act, he is mission-focused but still treats everyone well and genuinely cares about his people. I hope this isn’t his last promotion, as it is good to see a real leader climb the ranks instead of the assclowns such as the former-USAFE-commander-whose-name-shall-not-be-spoken!

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I attended an O-Call with him at BIAP when he was 332 AEW/CC... Of the 87698761243786 I've been to, that one still stands as the best. He had a no-shit focus on the mission at hand, praised & genuinely cared for the hard workers getting things done, and made it very clear he had no time or tolerance for slackers & excuses (used several examples).

Congrats LTG(S) Gorenc!

zb

I flew him out of Balad when he got to go home - jerk stole my bunk!

Actually I didn't really care at all, he needed the sleep worse than I did, and he was a really nice guy to the crew.

Edited by Clayton Bigsby

:beer: Congrats to him! I flew him numerous times during my time at Ramstein. He was defintely one of the most personable DVs I flew and was always appreciative to the crew. He was one of the few who would sit up on the jumpseat and BS with the crew during longer legs.

Guest John Cocktosten

This bodes well for the AF. Maj Gen Gorenc has got potential to go alot further than a NAF/CC. The current 3 AF/CC, Lt Gen Breedlove, is going to be the AF/A3.

When I was a young Strike Eagle FS/IN at MHAFB, Gorenc was commander of the 390 FS, our lt gray sister squadron. He was an outstanding FS/CC, the Boars kicked ass. He led from the front and took care of the bros.

Flash forward 11 years and I'm at my O-5 promotion party. I'm BSing with some friends, and I feel someone put their hand on my shoulder. I turn around and look up (he's a very big guy) and it Maj Gen Gorenc congratulating me. He remembered exactly who I was and I was just a young Lt intel puke from the squadron next door when he last saw me.

A true class act...

• 1 month later...

The guidon has been passed...a great day for USAFE and the Air Force indeed!

090824-F-0171B-008.jpg

New Commander for 3rd Air Force: Lt. Gen. Frank Gorenc assumed command of 3rd Air Force, US Air Forces in Europe's numbered air force that serves as air component to US European Command, during an Aug. 24 ceremony at Ramstein AB, Germany. USAFE Commander Gen. Roger Brady presided over the ceremony. Gorenc, who last served as Air Combat Command's director of air and space operations, was officially promoted to lieutenant general that same day prior to the change-of-command ceremony. He replaces Lt. Gen. Philip Breedlove who is now deputy chief of staff for operations, plans, and requirements on the Air Staff. "To command is a great honor and a privilege, but to command 3rd Air Force is absolutely a dream come true," said Gorenc, who graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1979. (Ramstein report by SMSgt. Hollis Dawson)

Cheers! M2

Well Slovenia was certainly "red" at that point in time. So gotta be an immigrant.

Yep, both he and his older brother, Maj Gen Stanley Gorenc, immigrated to the United States in 1962.

And JC, Gorenc lost a lot of weight when he got picked up for his star; he almost looks anemic compared to his old self.

But I will agree as I also hope this is just another step towards bigger and better things for him. He is truly one of the finest Air Force officers I had the pleasure and honor of working with, and it is understandable why he is so well liked and respected.

Cheers! M2

Good to hear as I'm getting ready to PCS there!

And he'll most likely get qual'd in the C-21, which means you'll spend some time (as a new FP) in the jumpseat being a safety observer while he flies with an IP. I can remember several rather interesting conversations either as the IP or the jumpseater with a flying DV. Some of them really open up when they get to feel like a crewdog again. It can really be a unique opportunity, especially when the flying DVs are genuinely good dudes.

Stanley Gorenc was our wing commander a decade ago. His bio says that he immigrated from Brezovica, Slovenia in 1962 and graduated from the USAFA in 1975. Frank must be his little brother. They don't look anything alike BTW.

Kuma

Yep, Frank's the "little" brother...

050617-F-0000S-009.jpg

This is when Frank Gorenc was really thin, it almost looks like he's gained a little of the weight back. That's a good thing, as he looks a little too emaciated in this photo...

p.s. Here's the story behind the above photo.

Edited by M2
typo!

Frank= Lt. Gen.

Stanley= Maj. Gen.

= SWORD FIGHT!!!

I'm currently TDY here at ACC/A3D, met LtG(S) Gorenc a few times. Most impressive was an O-6 promotion party that he was guest speaker. Didn't read off a prepared script, actually took the time to learn and memorize his families names, history, current endeavors, the O-6's career history, etc. and provided a very off the cuff but professional, articulate speech. Well done.

• 6 months later...
Guest heybrent

Wow so cool that I found this site! Frank is my Uncle and he is a big teddy bear! You guys are awesome and if you are going to be serving under Frank you couldn't find a better commander! By the way, I made an awesome wiki on good old Uncle Frank and of course he laughed about it saying "now I am famous!"

Brent Smith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Gorenc

And he'll most likely get qual'd in the C-21, which means you'll spend some time (as a new FP) in the jumpseat being a safety observer while he flies with an IP. I can remember several rather interesting conversations either as the IP or the jumpseater with a flying DV. Some of them really open up when they get to feel like a crewdog again. It can really be a unique opportunity, especially when the flying DVs are genuinely good dudes.

I got to sit jump while he flew us back from one of his trips recently (not a bad deal for flying Generals). Really nice guy, good pilot too. After we landed he hung around and cracked a few jokes while his aide got the car.