Stop Drinking

contraildash

Nice. Somebody could have sent that to Lt Mosiah Smalley and the whole "Ft Collins Brewery Tour" fiasco might have been avoided...

zb

you mean this bit from 2006???

I am looking to see how many people are interested in doing a beer tour in Fort Collins in the upcoming months (I am thinking early June or July timeframe, but the date is flexible). For those who are unaware, besides the Budweiser plant there are quite a few local breweries in Fort Collins that make some of the best (I would argue THE best) beer in the country.

This was done back in 2003 and Capt Rogers (as one of the few people who are still here that went) has attested that this was an awesome time. Its a great way to meet some people you may not normally meet plus experience the best part of Fort Collins, the beer!

I will be glad to organize this but I need people to email me if they are interestedincluding people who would like to be a DD.

XXXX

//SIGNED

XXXX X. XXXXX, 2LT

The response:

Lt. XXXXXXXX,

Below is a sort of editorial on my views on drinking. I really dont mean anything personal by it and I hope it doesnt sound too preachy, but it needs to be said.

-MTS

Nothing personal against all you drinkers out there, but alcohol use is logically unjustifiable. Im falling on my sword on this one but I cant remain silent any longer. No one can deny that alcohol causes suffering. What everyone needs to acknowledge is that the good times dont nearly make up for that suffering. The costs outweigh the benefits. More human suffering comes out of a bottle than a gun. Thats a fact. If you dont believe me, go to a group therapy session and see how many people are there because their dad shot someone versus how many are there because their dad was an alcoholic. Ask around a prison how many people are there because of alcohol. Ask the same question at a hospital emergency room or an abortion clinic. How many date rapes have happened under the influence? How many people have died in car accidents? How many crimes, including shootings, have involved alcohol? And Im just talking about in our community. These are unnecessary casualties that fly in the face of Operational Risk Management.

They say you should drink responsibly so as to maintain self-control (I assume). But the biggest problem with alcohol consumption is that it degrades ones ability to maintain self-control. It clouds judgment. To drink responsibly is literally an oxymoron that only serves as a legal disclaimer to protect alcohol producers from inevitable lawsuits. To quote a recent movie:

Alcohol is a social lubricant. It makes men brave and women loose. (Just Like Heaven, 2005)

Thats a recipe for date rape. This is the very scenario in a mandatory training video presented by the Air Force on Sexual Assault Awareness. The perpetrators modus operondi was to get his victim drunk first. After I watched that video with my co-workers, I asked the group, Can anyone tell me what good comes from alcohol use that could possibly offset this much bad? Everyone shook their heads and muttered No. We keep trying to address the symptoms of alcohol related problems but never the root cause: THE ALCOHOL.

I know some people say, I dont hurt anyone else. But alcohol always hurts the user in one way or another. Just ask my friend whose dad died of alcohol poisoning. Or maybe they say, Its my choice. But too often the choices of people under the influence of alcohol become consequences for others. Just ask the family of Airman First Class Brandy Lyn Fehr if the drunk driver that killed their daughter had the right to make that choice.

So, my plea to you is this: Kick the alcohol habit before it kicks you! You dont need it in your life. Ive lived my entire life without a drop of alcohol and I still have fun at social events. And Ive never done anything I regretted the next day because I voluntarily handed my self-control over to a chemical the night before. You see, you can give away personal control but you cant give away personal responsibility. So why not maintain control over the decisions and actions for which you alone will be held accountable? Finally, if you think you cant live without a beer, think how youll be able to live with yourself if you kill someone driving home from your favorite brew pub. Is it really worth it? Operational Risk Management says no. Why walk close to the edge of the cliff? Just avoid it all together.

v/r

Mosiah T. Smalley, 2d Lt, USAF

And some of the forward responses:

Hey everyonehope things are well wherever you are!

I just wanted to give you a snapshot of what a stellar bunch of CGOs we have here at wonderful F.E. Warren. This guy is too much! Pass this around so other bases may be warned of this bright, shining young Lt.

This guy sent this to all the CGOs at FE Warren.

A missileer CGO at Warren sends a harmless e-mail all CGOs inviting them to a CGO event touring some breweries in a responsible manner (notice the request for DDs at the end)

A fellow CGO sends a scathing e-mail to all CGOs about the Evils of Alcohol, Fellow CGOs mock and ridicule him as this forward makes it through the Air Force.

Okay, its Friday and a beautiful sunny day in Germany. All I can think about is how freakin wasted and ridiculous me and the girls are going to be tonight out on the town (watch out K-Town)! And guess what, Im cool, I stay in school, get all my work done AND get plastered! Alcohol has been a motivator for me! Get drunk = have lots of cool friends. Get drunk = have amazing monkey sex. Get drunk = write the most amazing psychology papers ever written. Get drunk = get naked or watch other people (not to mention names) jump around in waterfalls in Majorca! How is this the life that Mr. Smalley (okay- is that seriously his name?) does not want?!!! Well, Mr. Smalley, I have news for you. If you keep yapping about your seriously distorted view of alcohol prohibition, then you will never have cool friends, have insane monkey sex, write collegiate papers that wow the masses, or get naked in Majorca! Im going to go out on a limb on this one, but from what Ive read, you will get stuck with a nasty, hairy woman from Bible Study, play golf with men 50+ years-old, and have horridly retched kids that will drink alcohol and ruin your life anyways. So why dont you jump on the bandwagon and drink a beer or 3!

Oh and home nugget even quoted "Just Like Heaven"....wow.

That story never gets old, gotta love the line

Thats a recipe for date rape.

Finally, if you think you cant live without a beer, think how youll be able to live with yourself if you kill someone driving home from your favorite brew pub. Is it really worth it? Operational Risk Management says no.

Don't know about ya'll, but I always do an ORM assessment just before going to the bar... Is there enough pregame beer? Have I drank in the past 3 days? How far away is the bar? How reliable is the DD? What's the dude to chick ratio? Probability of having to run wingman?

4 Principals, 5 steps...

Douche nozzles like that come up with Z-Z-1-3 and the other gay sh!t that is out there. A little personal accountability goes a long way...not to say don't enjoy getting ripped in half drunk every now and then but one alcohol incident and guess what folks? yep we all have to pay for it. All the AF talks about is accountability but it's not upheld. One ass clown screws up and we all pay, break out the diapers Lt Snuggles crapped his pants again.

Cooter

PS Sorry accountability was all I heard at SOS

I got plastered every night I wasn't on crew rest in Little Rock. I lived downtown so I could stumble home (never heard of a drunk walker killing anyone on their way home, Lt Smalley), and on the rare occasion I drove to the bar, it was a short walk to get it back in the morning. I've walked home in freezing rain rather than driving under the influence. So that's one liability I don't have to worry about. I won't lie and say I've never hooked up with a drunk chick, but there has been a history behind it each time, so no worries of date rape. Call me :rainbow: but I've taken a girl home rather than take advantage of how drunk and eager she was to sleep with me. I hit it later after our "second date." ( :flipoff: again, Smalley) My family has never suffered from my frequent drunkenness at family get-togethers. My friends have never suffered from my wedding reception drinking. Now that I think about it, I've only had someone else clean up for me once or twice after drinking. I am the antithesis to everything this tea-totaler thinks he knows about alcohol.

Now, chill out, francis, and grab a beer. :beer:

Edited by outbreak

I got plastered every night I wasn't on crew rest in Little Rock. I lived downtown so I could stumble home (never heard of a drunk walker killing anyone on their way home, Lt Smalley), and on the rare occasion I drove to the bar, it was a short walk to get it back in the morning. I've walked home in freezing rain rather than driving under the influence. So that's one liability I don't have to worry about. I won't lie and say I've never hooked up with a drunk chick, but there has been a history behind it each time, so no worries of date rape. Call me :rainbow: but I've taken a girl home rather than take advantage of how drunk and eager she was to sleep with me. I hit it later after our "second date." ( :flipoff: again, Smalley) My family has never suffered from my frequent drunkenness at family get-togethers. My friends have never suffered from my wedding reception drinking. Now that I think about it, I've only had someone else clean up for me once or twice after drinking. I am the antithesis to everything this tea-totaler thinks he knows about alcohol.

Now, chill out, francis, and grab a beer. :beer:

Unlike the popular notion, I've gotta say this LT has many great and often ignored points on alcohol. Until you've actually lived with people that are alcoholics or that lived with alcoholics, it's hard for someone who likes to throw back a few to really understand.

My mother grew up in a home where her mother was a alcoholic. She chose alcohol over her family. Her children's needs. Leaving children that are no older than five to run off with a drunk Marine and go teach class the next day drunk. Not to mention the physical and emotional abuse that continued for years. My mother watching her mother get the shit kicked out of her by drunk men wasn't easy for my mom to live with, and the memory still hurts. That very childhood damage carried on into MY family. For years growing up my mother dealt with a ton of emotional baggage that created enormous problems in my family all from her childhood with her alcoholic mother. Interesting how someone else's problems carries onto persons life. It's a reality that our actions affect other other whether we want to believe it or not.

I have a great respect and yes, envy for the pilots in the service that get to fly for a living and carry out the US mission, but I will say that I know a handful of pilots personally that are straight up alcoholics. They've got it figured out. As long as they can be sober 12 hours before a flight, they will be drinking till they are stupid drunk. I don't see the productivity or health awareness in that.

If someone chooses to not drink for personal reasons and decides to express them, it's usually laughed at, hazed by the masses and told your old fashioned, but if you wanna be a drunk that has nothing else better to do than get wasted and booze up girls to actually pay attention to you. Something is wrong with you.

I'm not one to tell others not to drink, but if they tell me theirs something missing in my life because I choose to not partake, you've got fucking issues.

Unlike the popular notion, I've gotta say this LT has many great and often ignored points on alcohol.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...cry me a river.....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

I'm not one to tell others not to drink, but if they tell me theirs something missing in my life because I choose to not partake, you've got fucking issues.

Take this Dr Phil shit somewhere else, Nancy.

• Upvote 1

I know it's early in the AM, but Popcorn anyone?

Was I too insensitive?

Okay, yerfer, I’m sorry. Let me use my Psychology minor- How does it make you feel when alcoholic pilots tell you “theirs” [sic] something missing in your life for not drinking?

"To each his own" If someone wants to drink themselves under the table, then so be it. If you choose not to do so, then enjoy your time at home scrap booking or knitting something....or better yet, you can be my DD so that the rest of my bros can enjoy the festivities.

Please stop the freakin preaching. We are all grown men/women that should at this stage have an understanding of our capabilities. If not, let the natural selection process take its course.

Unlike the popular notion, I've gotta say this LT has many great and often ignored points on alcohol. Until you've actually lived with people that are alcoholics or that lived with alcoholics, it's hard for someone who likes to throw back a few to really understand.

My mother grew up in a home where her mother was a alcoholic. She chose alcohol over her family. Her children's needs. Leaving children that are no older than five to run off with a drunk Marine and go teach class the next day drunk. Not to mention the physical and emotional abuse that continued for years. My mother watching her mother get the shit kicked out of her by drunk men wasn't easy for my mom to live with, and the memory still hurts. That very childhood damage carried on into MY family. For years growing up my mother dealt with a ton of emotional baggage that created enormous problems in my family all from her childhood with her alcoholic mother. Interesting how someone else's problems carries onto persons life. It's a reality that our actions affect other other whether we want to believe it or not.

I have a great respect and yes, envy for the pilots in the service that get to fly for a living and carry out the US mission, but I will say that I know a handful of pilots personally that are straight up alcoholics. They've got it figured out. As long as they can be sober 12 hours before a flight, they will be drinking till they are stupid drunk. I don't see the productivity or health awareness in that.

If someone chooses to not drink for personal reasons and decides to express them, it's usually laughed at, hazed by the masses and told your old fashioned, but if you wanna be a drunk that has nothing else better to do than get wasted and booze up girls to actually pay attention to you. Something is wrong with you.

I'm not one to tell others not to drink, but if they tell me theirs something missing in my life because I choose to not partake, you've got ######ing issues.

That sucks.

That said, the LT in question doesn't recognize that not every drinker is an alcoholic, or problem drinker. He's also preachy about why he doesn't drink, and thinks others shouldn't either. I know plenty of guys in the military who choose not to drink for one reason or another. For some its religious, some used to drink but don't anymore, or a dozen other reasons. That's a personal choice and I'll never say a bad thing about a person who decides not to drink, until they start trying to impose their personal choice on me.

That's a personal choice and I'll never say a bad thing about a person who decides not to drink, until they start trying to impose their personal choice on me.

I agree with Outbreak. The problem is that this Lt had an epiphany and thinks its alright to send it out to everyone. It would have been one thing if he directly replied to the Lt organizing the event (although still :rainbow: ), but the fact that he sent this to all the CGO's at the base puts this at a new level of a** pounding, shoe clerk :rainbow: 'ness. GDMFSOB, thank god he has a job that keeps him locked underground and away from the rest of the population.

You will all be glad to know that it looks like Lt Smalley decided to choose a different career path, or was force shaped out of the AF......(no luck on finding him in the global)

Either that, or he married and was such a wimp that he took his wife's name. True it's :rainbow: but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if he did that.

Edit for spelling.

Edited by capt4fans

you mean this bit from 2006???

Yup. That's the one. Caused quite a stir back then as I can see from the responses in the thread continues to stir people up. An absolute classic email chain in AF history.

I'm not one to tell others not to drink, but if they tell me theirs something missing in my life because I choose to not partake, you've got ######ing issues.

Irresponsible people foster bad situations which can definitely affect future generations. However, to ascribe the problem to alcohol is the same logical fallacy that attributes violence to guns. It's not the guns or the alcohol, it's the person. Period. Blaming it on anything else is just a way to try to find an excuse for the irresponsible person.

GDMFSOB, thank god he has a job that keeps him locked underground and away from the rest of the population.

That's exactly what CAUSES me to drink.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Buzz Killington. I just knew somebody would get on here and preach about the evils of drinking.

BTW, probably hate my signature block, eh?