"The Last Ace"

Guest John Cocktosten

I really liked Bowden's book, Killing Pablo.

Rodriguez's assertion that the AIM-7 photo came from the MiG-29 he downed is mistaken – it is actually from a US drone. In addition, he might not know that the MiG-29 VTRS doesn’t record through the combining glass; it records down into the actual combining lens: MiG-29 VTRS doesn’t show what was out of the window, only the raster and stroke symbology that was in the HUD.

Edited by Steve Davies

Rodriguez's assertion that the AIM-7 photo came from the MiG-29 he downed is mistaken – it is actually from a US drone. In addition, he might not know that the MiG-29 VTRS doesn’t record through the combining glass; it records down into the actual combining lens: MiG-29 VTRS doesn’t show what was out of the window, only the raster and stroke symbology that was in the HUD.

Thanks Buzz Killington.

Yeah, he's the same guy who argues AC-130s weren't needed nor would they have made a difference during "blackhawk down". Give me a break, Bowden wins the "Epic Fail" award for that little nugget of wisdom.

Been a long time since I read the book. Did Bowden say that or quote someone else saying it?

Not arguing, seeking clarification.

Been a long time since I read the book. Did Bowden say that or quote someone else saying it?

Not arguing, seeking clarification.

I believe Bowden was speaking to the critics of Les Aspin (SECDEF at the time), who pulled the AC's out a couple weeks before the whole thing went down. Bowden was trying to say that it wouldn't have mattered much in the end. For the record, I totally disagree. But what do I know - I only flew them, Bowden is the CAS expert.

I believe Bowden was speaking to the critics of Les Aspin (SECDEF at the time), who pulled the AC's out a couple weeks before the whole thing went down. Bowden was trying to say that it wouldn't have mattered much in the end. For the record, I totally disagree. But what do I know - I only flew them, Bowden is the CAS expert.

Thanks.

Yeah, he's the same guy who argues AC-130s weren't needed nor would they have made a difference during "blackhawk down". Give me a break, Bowden wins the "Epic Fail" award for that little nugget of wisdom.

Having actually "used" AC-130's in an urban environment, I can vouch for their efficacy. Les Aspin was a tool, plain and simple.