ACSC paper bashes on the pilot bonus

KennyB

Guest Mr Alex

Here's another point of view I was thinking about today.

When I was applying to OTS several years ago, I had heard good things about the AF from people that served in the 70s/80s/90s. I keep up with them and they still look back fondly on their time. So OF COURSE they recommend the AF! But now that ops tempo is up, we're "doing more with less", etc. etc. How are the guys that are flying these days gonna tell the next generation about the AF?

When I was at my FTU, I was listening to a sim instructor telling two LTs that he'd do his career again in a heartbeat (70s/80s timeframe). Then he said he absolutely would not want to do "our career" these days because of the way the AF has changed.

And so here's my anecdotal "cost savings" to the AF: I've had two guys recently ask me for advice on how to get in to OTS. I told them what I thought about today's AF and how it's NOT what I heard about when I was applying. 1 guy has probably decided to stay civilian and the other guy is gonna apply to the Navy OCS. I just saved the AF $20 Million or whatever.

Could a disgruntled pilot cadre have an effect on the future pilots of the AF? I don't know how you could measure it, but to me, it seems like one of those intangibles that might matter years from now.

I've heard the same thing even from some old heads still on AD.

Oh I hear ya, which is standard baby boomer bullsh$t. Then they have the nerve to adjudicate the label SNAPS on the succeeding generation....If it's good for the goose it's good for the gander right pops? Look out for #1 is what I get from their "leadership", f00kin noted. Gen Y out.

Either I'm actually responsible (which I'd like to think is unlikely), or I failed to counter all of the guys/gals in my year group +/- 4 years who did decide to screw it up. Period.

Wow...really?

You must have a lot of pull if you can counter ALL of the people in your year group +/- 4 years.