Renter’s Insurance

Guest Robes

Guest Robes

I was checking to see how many people have purchased renter’s insurance while they have stayed in base housing/dorms… I know it is important on the outside, but did not know about on base.

Thanks,

Robes

We had renter's insurance when we were on base at Ramstein. If the building goes up in flames, the govt isn't liable for your stuff. It is cheap and easy to get, just call USAA...

Cheers! M2

When I was at Corpus, TS Rita was flaring up and I was able to grab some renters insurance just in case. I ended up insuring about 25k worth of stuff and it worked out to be about 10/mo. In all honesty, I wish I had the insurance earlier when I took my cell phone with me for a drunken swim in the intercoastal; such debauchery would've been covered by the policy!

Guest Robes

I know this is an area of insurance that is neglected by a lot of people, until it is too late. Thanks Murph

Guest Apollo

Yeah, I got USAA here at Sheppard. I think I have 10k coverage for around $100 a year.

I have it right now for my base house here at Sheppard...through USAA.....its about 140 bucks per year for about 40k of insurance. For an extra 3 bucks a month, I bought computer insurance...came in handy when I shattered my new laptop behind the seat in the Tweet. Repair bill: $500. My cost: $0.00. So it pretty much paid for itself right there.

I highly recommend it.....and its really easy to set up if you already use USAA.

Guest Sniper5482

the lady in charge of the dorms here at columbus recommended that i keep the policy i already had. the gov't will i think cover your stuff if there is a fire or whatever, but the coverage is not as good as USAA and yeah the USAA plan was only $100/year. if you already have a plan and want to switch just call USAA and they'll change your address and re-calculate a new plan on the spot. in my case i saved like $30 changing my address from new jersey to mississippi...big surprise

-sniper

Guest nolanrthompson

I pay around $18/month. Like M2 stated, just because it's base housing doesn't mean they're liable. 3 families in my squadron had house fires in the past year, 2 were insured and 1 uninsured. The uninsured family lost everything...bad deal. We pulled together and supported them the most we could. USAA has been great for me so far!

Nubby