Stand-Up

LJDRVR

Hey Folks,

I do some human factors and safety systems consulting on the side. A portion of my presentations consist of power point and I'm alway looking to enhance those.

There are two areas of customers I've always talked to about how the military does Lims and EP's, those being General Aviation folks (I do these for free at FIRC's and for any GA group that requests my help.) and my single-pilot CRM course. (The primary audience here is light jet owners who are new to turbine operations.)

At any rate, describing how standup works is nowhere near as effective as actually seeing it. So, here's what I was wondering: If any of you folks might happen to have some recent videotaped footage of a standup (real or staged, I don't care) perhaps from a track-select video, would you be willing to let me use it as part of my courseware? I'd be happy to trade free attendance at one of my classes or perhaps a flight in the J-3 if you find yourself down Houston way. (I'll let you do the driving!)

Thanks a bunch!

LJDRVR

ROFL I can see it now a bunch of rich ass F*%@ks seeing Lt Napoleon as the poster boy for the proper recovery of a government jet....BOW TO YOUR SENSEI!!!

On a side note, stand-ups were partially useless for EP training. It was a waste of time if you wanted to instill some Airmanship in somebody. What was a lot more effective was to get into the sim and get your ass thrown into some hairy shit...

Rudder hardovers...SELOT...electric out @ night...structural damage....

We had 2 EP sims in 38's and thought it was marginal for some real skills to survive.

So if you use some stand-up footage LJ, I would also caution and espouse that this is the PRIMARY means of training dudes to recover jets!

More EP sims Big Blue!...they're fun too.... :beer:

Try this:
It starts at 6:45.

Close....so very close. Almost what I'm looking for, just need one without the humor. What I'm after here is some inspiration. For GA folks. it's the realization that there's a lot more to flying their airplane than they think. While most private pilot have read the "Engine Fire - In Flight" checklist during the course of training, they and their CFI's don't realize this checklist has boldface items - steps they must accomplish immediately from rote memory if they hope to survive. Seeing stand-up allows them to realize they are playing for keeps and that just a passing familiarity with their airplanes especially as little as they fly, can and will kill them in the right situation.

For the owner-pilots, it's a bit of shame. The knowledge that a twenty two year old kid knows his or her airframe better than the successful business person with a lifetime of experience and well in excess of a thousand hours of flying time does. The one's I get are usually in the process of purchasing their jet. Simuflite or Flight Safety will beat the boldface into them, but seeing what it is and what it can do for them is a motivating experience.

I don't want rooms full of civilian pilots actually trying to this, they're told as much. What I'm after is for them to see some professional airmaship displayed in a dramatic fashion. Something to motivate them. They get to watch an airline crew or two in the sim work their way through an abnormal too.

LJ, I could probably record a real stand-up session. One of my buds has a nice HD camera and probably wouldn't mind showing up for one of the flight's morning briefs/stand up. Do you have preference on who the cameras looking at, or just a shot from the corner of the room while it goes on?

Keep in mind- the critical part of standup is the fear. If you just stroll up to the podium and don't give a crap because, "hey, I paid to be here" then its not nearly as effective as a young Lt who is going to get yelled at and grounded first go for f*cking up the boldface.

Keep in mind- the critical part of standup is the fear. If you just stroll up to the podium and don't give a crap because, "hey, I paid to be here" then its not nearly as effective as a young Lt who is going to get yelled at and grounded first go for f*cking up the boldface.

I know. I'm not advocating or suggesting civilians adopting stand-ups as a training regimen. What it is, is a way to demonstrate the disciplined approach to airmanship that certain individuals and flying organizations take. It is meant to educate and inspire folks to get in their dash-one equivalent and do a little bit of head work outside the cockpit.

LJ, I could probably record a real stand-up session. One of my buds has a nice HD camera and probably wouldn't mind showing up for one of the flight's morning briefs/stand up. Do you have preference on who the cameras looking at, or just a shot from the corner of the room while it goes on?

Awesome! Perhaps from an angle that shows the IP off to the side but focuses on the studs? I'll leave it up to your good judgment.

I'm not joking about the Cub. If you can swing footage of just a single stand up, we'll go do some low and slow! (See avatar.) :rock: