PFPS...on the dark side

Guest Justshootme

Guest Justshootme

Just taking a shot in the dark to see if anyone else has done this.

I'm getting ready to load up PFPS on my intel-based macbook and was wondering if anyone knew of issues, drivers, etc. that I might run into. Also, if anyone has used Parallels vs. Boot Camp and can make a recommendation as to which would be better for this purpose, that would be helpful.

JSM

edit: Realizing that this will apply to a very small group of people, witty and sarcastic responses are welcome

Edited by Justshootme

Guest JorryFright21
On a 1/2 way related topic...can you get PFPS for personal computer use? I figured it was just another program you had to use at work.

Yeah, talk to your program manager, or get it through the school house. They actually love giving copies to people because it means they are interested in learning. Run it with Bootcamp or Parallels on a Mac. Works great.

Let's not do the retarded Mac vs. PC debate here. They're both fine.

Guest Justshootme
Let's not do the retarded Mac vs. PC debate here. They're both fine.

My squadron is giving it to us nav-types b/c our mission planning has to take place the day before mission planning day. ergo, outdated PFPS for everyone! :thumbsup:

The new OS for macs is coming out next week. With it you can actually install Windows and not have to run VirtuaPC. That might solve any problems.

Guest Justshootme
As an alternative to Parallels, you might consider VMWare Fusion... it does the same thing but with a bit more options and a lot of pre-configured virtual appliances available free online. You can even download a trial before you buy.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

And, side note, PFPS started on the "dark side" and you are bringing it into the light :o)

Did they just give you PFPS or did they give you the imagery to go along with it?

--Spartan

Thanks for the info...I'll definitely look into it.

We were given the basic imagery...ie...JNC or ONC and that's pretty much it. I could probably find more, but for my purposes its enough. It also keeps me from the dreaded "8 gigs of hard drive" space most people would assume. I'm just a baby nav on buffs, so I don't really need the sat-level stuff. The DAFIF is out of date, but if you MP at home, all you have to do is bring it into a computer at the squadron that's updated and it will update itself.

I completely sympathize with your "dark side" assertion. If anything I am fearful of tainting my precious mac with Bill Gates' sorcery :)