Single Parent UPT

SCRIMP

Does anyone have any stories of buds they know being a single parent going through UPT? Please provide details on what the flight commander's thought, tactics they used to be approved for it, etc. I know that some may say it is going to be impossible, but I think it would be much harder if my wife leaves me and takes my daughter away from me. I hope this is not too personal...I am just desperate for information regarding this. Money is not an option and I would be willing to pay for the best of the best as far as a Nanny is concerned. If anyone can do this, it is me.

I appreciate all of the advice I can get, I know it is bad timing expecially since I am supposed to start 5 Oct...thanks wife.

Also, if anyone has tips on how a military man can get custody of his children please PM me.

Thanks again,

redneck

Does anyone have any stories of buds they know being a single parent going through UPT? Please provide details on what the flight commander's thought, tactics they used to be approved for it, etc. I know that some may say it is going to be impossible, but I think it would be much harder if my wife leaves me and takes my daughter away from me. I hope this is not too personal...I am just desperate for information regarding this. Money is not an option and I would be willing to pay for the best of the best as far as a Nanny is concerned. If anyone can do this, it is me.

I appreciate all of the advice I can get, I know it is bad timing expecially since I am supposed to start 5 Oct...thanks wife.

Also, if anyone has tips on how a military man can get custody of his children please PM me.

Thanks again,

redneck

Well, if she's dead you'll just HAVE to get custody.

...just a thought :)

I am supposed to start 5 Oct...thanks wife.

Wow.....bitch.

If you haven't reported yet, I think you need to figure out if you're ready to start UPT or not. You need to go into UPT with a clear head. If you need a couple months to get your shit together, you may want to mention it to whoever your supervisor is when you report in. Once you're checked-in, it is possible for them to roll you a class or two if you need the time to get things in order. If you're just now separating from your wife, those are definitely circumstances that people would be willing to work with you on.

If you think you're good to go, then start looking for child care and press on.

HD

Guest Rainman A-10

Get a good lawyer. Get the kids. Bring them to UPT. Get a Nanny.

In that order, ASAP.

You can hack it just fine as a single parent at UPT.

There are some longer term issues you will need to solve eventually, like where are your kids going to stay when you deploy, but that's a ways off.

Kudos to you man. We have so many parents in this country trying to dodge responsibility, and you're doing everything you can to have it.

Best of luck with it man.

Guest LocoF16
Wow.....bitch.

If you haven't reported yet, I think you need to figure out if you're ready to start UPT or not. You need to go into UPT with a clear head. If you need a couple months to get your shit together, you may want to mention it to whoever your supervisor is when you report in. Once you're checked-in, it is possible for them to roll you a class or two if you need the time to get things in order. If you're just now separating from your wife, those are definitely circumstances that people would be willing to work with you on.

If you think you're good to go, then start looking for child care and press on.

HD

This is good advice. Your commander can work with you to make this situation better for you. You have to go thru UPT with a clear mind, otherwise you'll end up washed out. You won't want to look back twenty years later and wonder what it would have been like to be a pilot. Take the time to get ready, like HD stated, your circumstances are well worthy of extra consideration.

Kudos to you man. We have so many parents in this country trying to dodge responsibility, and you're doing everything you can to have it.

Society loves to make heros out of your standard single mother working a job or two to support their kids.

But a single dad raising the kids AND going through UPT? Now that's impressive.

HD

Just an update...and I appreciate all of those who have PMed and replied. It is really looking like there is no way I will be able to get custody. It does not mean that I sure as hell will not try, but chances aren't good.

Life is still sucking, nothing is final yet, but I am getting closer to the move date each day. I just pray and hope to God that the wife will give it one more shot. Thanks again for the replies, etc. It helps.

Guest Rainman A-10
I just pray and hope to God that the wife will give it one more shot.

Just a thought...

If you really want her back you might start thinking and referring to her as "my wife" instead of "the wife." She's a person not a car or shovel or any other object.

Of course, if you don't want her back you can call her whatever you want.

Good luck.

Not to make light of the situation (I do hope everything works out for the best for you), but I know a guy who used to jokingly call his spouse his "current wife." Big surprise, they are no longer together...

Do whatever you can but also understand you only control half of the situation. Have a back-up plan in case things don't go as hoped. And know that the USAF is made up of people too, and most will understand how stressful the situation is. If you need more time to sort things out, there is a good chance you can get it; but you won't if you don't ask.

Cheers! M2