Pararescuemen

Guest ale345

Guest ale345

Hello,

I'm interested in becoming a PJ and I'm curious about how they are regarded within the USAF. I've read quite a bit of interesting things in the forums about SP's, but can you guys tell me about your experiences working with PJ's and what you think of them. I know that they're pretty much considered aircrew in the Rescue Squadrons. I know this isn't really about flying but I'm curious to hear some opinions from aircrew and non aircrew members. I've been on the special tactics forums but I would kind of like to hear some outsider perspectives on their community. Thanks

Guest Stodr

They are like anybody else. They have their good guys and their bad guys. Overall I would say they are very highly repected, and motivated individuals. I really enjoyed the community I have had the privilage to meet.

Edited by Stodr

Guest monkeypoo

PJs and CROs are BAMFs. No doubt about it. My brother was recently selected to be a CRO. These dudes are a breed apart from everyone else in the AF. They are a small, tight, and dedicated community. Definitely sh!t hot. :flag_waving:

Guest rotorhead

The rest of the USAF needs to take a lesson from the community. No slackers. No coddling the pups. Highest morale. Highest camaraderie. Highest pride. Longest training program. Most difficult training program. Jump school, dive school, aircrew trng, survival trng, lots and lots of medical trng, weapons trng. Lots of recurring trng requirements (not the kind the MPF does every Friday). Mission first, screw your fragile psyche, no mewling, no puling.

Do they know how to get paid? Absolutely. They get 69 different forms of pay, and they know how to work it...but they earn it.

After working with PJs in the H60 world, I worked with SPs in the H1 world. PJs were professionals with class....the SPs were embarassing, moronic buffoons.

Guest SATCOM

Head on over to www.specialtactics.com for beau coup info on PJ's. Caution: do not get in there and ask stupid crap...it's run by an active duty PJ. Read the FAQs etc, then get in the discussions. Good luck.

Guest ale345
Head on over to www.specialtactics.com for beau coup info on PJ's. Caution: do not get in there and ask stupid crap...it's run by an active duty PJ. Read the FAQs etc, then get in the discussions. Good luck.

Yes Sir, I have been there and have asked questions there. They were Semi-Intelligent questions too, I'm just interested in hearing some other perspectives like the one rotorhead gave, especially from the HH-60 and HC-130 crew members. Thanks

Guest JorryFright21

Be careful though as a lot of them suffer from major delusions of grandeur. Not all of them, but a lot can be a little primadonnaesque sometimes. After working with some of the other SF medics, my opinion, while still high, isn't so untarnished of them. Don't be the one that is a punk.

I work with these guys all the time, so I feel I can talk intelligently on the issue. Again, most of these guys are good dudes! Just saying that, like any community of highly specialized people, some of these guys are full of themselves.

Are coming enlisted or officer PJ? If you're in ROTC, don't forget you can still accept a pilot slot and go to phase II to see how it works out. It's nice to have in your back pocket if you don't cut it or decide it's not for you.

As far as how PJ's are regarded in the USAF, I think they're pretty SH. Their motto says it all "That others may live".

GL

If your trying to talk like a Vietnam vet, the word in beaucoup. Or did you mean to say "for beautiful blow of info on PJs"?

Are coming enlisted or officer PJ? If you're in ROTC, don't forget you can still accept a pilot slot and go to phase II to see how it works out. It's nice to have in your back pocket if you don't cut it or decide it's not for you.

What are the details for this? I have my slot, but have been greatly contemplating the move over to CRO or PJ.

What are the details for this? I have my slot, but have been greatly contemplating the move over to CRO or PJ.

Talk to your cadre and tell them you want to put in for either CRO or STO (the officer jobs for PJ and Combat Controller). They'll send a package in for you and if you get accepted after going through the hoops (CC nomination, PFT etc) you move on to phase II which is around a week at Fairchild or Hurlburt (during junior/senior year). If you pass and they want you to come back enter the pipeline after commissioning.

Everything Rotorhead and JorryFright said is correct. These are some of the most highly trained people in the military, and like any career field, there are good dudes, and there are tools. I'd say the caliber of person overall is pretty high though. They also try to pull some crazy stuff sometimes that's not always "within the regulations." But they are not pretty much considered aircrew - they technically are aircrew and have aircrew wings. But honestly, I don't think anyone really considers them as aircrew in the sense of being an actual crew member and performing crew duties. They are a user and they jump out of our planes. In theater, the standard crew complement includes three PJs and they'll actually work as scanners sometimes, so that's a little different. But they have their own squadron (as do the -60s and the HCs) and pretty much keep to themselves until brief time.

Talk to your cadre and tell them you want to put in for either CRO or STO (the officer jobs for PJ and Combat Controller). They'll send a package in for you and if you get accepted after going through the hoops (CC nomination, PFT etc) you move on to phase II which is around a week at Fairchild or Hurlburt (during junior/senior year). If you pass and they want you to come back enter the pipeline after commissioning.

Thanks, I'll go in and talk with my cadre. What is my chance of getting accepted and jumpin the hoops if I'm commissioning next week?

Be sure to get your facts straight on this -- PJs are ENLISTED ONLY. CROs go through the same training,etc, but aren't typically team leaders or "operational" in that sense. Guys who got sold on the "officer PJ" concept of CRO were a little bitter when they found out the majority of their job entailed manning staff jobs and writing EPRs, not "hacking the mish". CCT officers are a different story.

PJs tend to be like most other operators: highly skilled, highly aware of that fact, highly deployed, and highly impatient of queep. I find them to be on the whole a great group of dudes who do their job very well, but occasionally need a little reining-in from higher-ups. I'd trust them with my life, and they seem to (warily) trust me with theirs. Although the 20th pass of JMD that results in yet another no drop because they couldn't see the target get old, I'd venture to say having my ass on the ground somewhere would get old a whole lot quicker. My EPA brief always starts with "Team leader, if we all go down, you are calling the shots. I just nod along."

Thanks, I'll go in and talk with my cadre. What is my chance of getting accepted and jumpin the hoops if I'm commissioning next week?

Zero. If you're commissioning next week, then you're locked in. When my buddy got picked up for CRO, he went to Phase II the spring of his junior year - it's a pretty long application process.

Once on AD, you may be able to put a package in before UPT if your CC will let you, and depending on how long you're on casual.

Edited by backseatdriver

Zero. If you're commissioning next week, then you're locked in. When my buddy got picked up for CRO, he went to Phase II the spring of his junior year - it's a pretty long application process.

Once on AD, you may be able to put a package in before UPT if your CC will let you, and depending on how long you're on casual.

I dont EAD til 1 Dec then hit Vance in Aug '08. Should I go to my CC or try contacting someone up at Fairchild?

Guest ale345

Thank you for all of the responses. I'm actually a high school senior and I plan on going as enlisted. I know they are highly trained operators which brings in the ego factor, which is partly why I asked.

Guest ale345

Rocker, what kind of crazy things do they pull that are outside the regulations if you don't mind saying? Thanks

I'm going GTEP for Pararescue, just to be sure I get my shot at indoctrination. Thanks, I'm gonna need it.

Edited by ale345

I dont EAD til 1 Dec then hit Vance in Aug '08. Should I go to my CC or try contacting someone up at Fairchild?

Are you ROTC? Man that sucks - I know they did that delayed EAD back in the 90s but didn't realize they started it back up.

With that long until UPT it might be a possibility, it doesn't hurt to look into it if that's what you decide you want to do. I'd talk to your Det CC, and talk to the guys at AFPC that oversee the process.

Are you ROTC? Man that sucks - I know they did that delayed EAD back in the 90s but didn't realize they started it back up.

With that long until UPT it might be a possibility, it doesn't hurt to look into it if that's what you decide you want to do. I'd talk to your Det CC, and talk to the guys at AFPC that oversee the process.

Yup, I'm a cadidiot. The delayed entry has it's pros & cons, mostly cons but it just gives me more time to fvck around sts.

I'll check into it, thanks.

Guest Ghost63

Reigning in from higher ups? They police themselves pretty well, and I can't think of a time I ever saw or heard of anything they needed the higher ups to reign in. In fact, if the higher ups would just keep out of their (and others of the same genre) damned business, everyone would be better off.

To topic starter - thank you for not referring to them as "SF", but don't talk about SOF dudes and Air Force traffic cops in the same discussion. Air Force faggotry pet peeve of the month = 19 year old that most likely can't load his own weapon standing around with SF on his arm. :flipoff:

Guest ale345

Because of the Combat Rescue Officer career field, PJ's can now be represented at a higher level by personnel who have similar training and experiences. BTW, I know that PJ's are nothing like sky cops.

Guest SATCOM
If your trying to talk like a Vietnam vet, the word in beaucoup. Or did you mean to say "for beautiful blow of info on PJs"?

“You’re” is always a contraction of “you are.” If you’ve written “you’re,” try substituting “you are.” If it doesn’t work, the word you want is “your.” Your writing will improve if you’re careful about this.

If someone thanks you, write back “you’re welcome” for “you are welcome.”

I'm not trying to talk like a VN vet, because I am not one. I entered the USAF in '81, are you a VN vet?