AFIT information

ellsworb

I am just curious if ANYONE has heard of a Flyer getting a Civilian Institution slot from AFIT at any point in their career. Trying to put together some facts to take with me and see how far I can get. If you know of anyone that has gotten the 18 months off to go do this, PLEASE let me know!!! I want the Air Force as a career so I don't know why it would be a big deal, as I would continue flying afterward???? Can anyone offer anything.

Thanks

I know a nav selected for Major that will going to AFIT. From what I understand, it's an alternative the AF is using for ACSC.

AFIT is now another form of in-residence IDE. It is a 10 month program vice 18 and you will get a masters degree. I have several friends who went last year and they commented that it was a LOT of work. In addition to the academics for your major, you will also be required to complete distance modules for ACSC.

I did ACSC in residence and would recommend that program over AFIT based on quality of life. After IDE there are a limited number of slots (approximately 30), to attend the advanced studies group (ASG), in courses like SAASS, SAW, SAMS, and NOPC. I am doing SAW right now and I will get a third masters degree from the program.

There are proposals for O-4 level fellowships and opportunities to spend one year at a civilian institution while working on a masters degree, but the manning issues are becoming a big reality.

As an O-5 you may have an opportunity to spend a year at Stanford, Harvard, or one of several other NDU fellowships.

If you have any other questions, PM me and I will give you whatever info I have.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone heard about the new online systems engineering degree AFIT is offering? It's relatively new but seems like a good way to good way to knock out a technical masters that still has elements of an MBA to it.

A few questions:

1 - For distance learning (online) students, the tuition is about $350 a unit. Has anyone ever had any luck getting their squadron to sponsor them? I know tuition assistance covers up to $250 a unit - any way to get your squadron to cover the last $100? For the record, I'm GI Bill ineligible so the top-up program isn't an option.

2 - Anyone here ever take the systems engineering degree in residence at AFIT? I'm curious what the curriculum is like and if you enjoyed it or not. I had originally planned to get an online MBA but after discovering that most, if not all, online MBAs are worthless (sorry Phoenix University), AFIT seems like a better idea.

3 - I know its kind of vague, but how is an AFIT dgree regarded on the outside? When I move on from Mother Blue (which I inevitably will) does an M.S. from AFIT hold any weight? I know we're not talking Stanford or MIT here, but bottom line, is it worth it or am I better off waiting to attend some university in residence when I separate?

Appreciate the help.

• 4 months later...

As far as I know the AFIT SE program is based on the one they started at the Academy a few years back. It has very little engineering to it so I wouldn't go for that if you want anything technical. The SE degree is definitely in high demand right now outside of the military and I've noticed many uni's adding that degree to their programs recently. You'd be in good shape an AFIT SE on the outside.

• 4 months later...
Guest GonnaFlyfoLife

Hey,

I've been doing some research by reading some of the previously written topics on obtaining a masters degree directly after commissioning from ROTC. From what I read from other posts, this is what I understand (correct me if I am wrong). There are two programs: one being the educational delay, and the other being that you apply to the AFIT. The AF will pay for your masters degree if you are selected to go to the AFIT, but will not pay for your degree if you recieve an educational delay. My question is, do you apply to these programs on your Form 53, or do you need to do some other type of special application? If you do not put these programs on your Form 53, what is the deadline to applying to them (I graduate in May 09)? Is it really hard to obtain an educational delay if you have a technical major? Thanks for your time and help!

Edited by GonnaFlyfoLife

Guest MizzNav

Try your Cadre, they will know better than anyone else. Just make sure you talk to whoever is in charge of academics.

Guest GonnaFlyfoLife

I asked my cadre and they are not too sure either. If there is anyone that has done/knows when and how you apply for an educational delay please tell me.

Guest MizzNav
I asked my cadre and they are not too sure either. If there is anyone that has done/knows when and how you apply for an educational delay please tell me.

That's thier job to find out for you. I would politely ask them to find out, since it seems no one on here knows.

If I can find this website after .69 seconds of searching, i'm sure you can find much more.

Google is a wonderful thing...learn it, live it, love it.

• 1 year later...