So Long 41/AS

HercDude

The 41st AS was officialy re-alligned from Pope to Little Rock today. To my utter horor I had to take off the "cloud 9" patch and put on a weak ass 2 AS "Flaming butt dart" patch.

The J model guys stand up at the Rock next month from what I hear, but it's definitely sad to see the flag rolled up and shipped off.

To all the current and former Blackcats (Mr. Baseops.net himself included) :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Here's to 31 years at Pope; hacking the mission and getting sh*t done. Anywhere, Anytime. :flag_waving:

I was deployed last fall with the 2/41st at OKAS and was impressed with the 41 AS/CC. She was probably one of the best CC's to ever work for.

Now "The Deuce" is finally the best C-130 Squadron at Pope......

No flaming. The 41/2AS relationship could probably go down as one of the most productive rivalries in history.

Now, where was I, oh yea, just on "Cloud 9, etc....etc....."

Yeah, I am a Blackcat Ex-Con and it is certainly sad to hear that they rolled up the guidon and vanished from POB. In fact, the whole concept for the baseops.net website came about on my first 41st rotation (good ole days - Germany / Bosnia support!).

Polly M. was a good Commander I heard - I have worked with her since she left AMC. She is good peeps to work with, unlike the droves of other AMC demagogues...

:flag_waving:

Although I am glad to see the 41st come to the Rock I hate to see them leave Pope. My dad was the ops officer of the 41st in the late 80s and then the commander of the 39th in the early 90s. I can remember playing soccer on the roof of the 41st building while parties were going on in backyard. It was funny for a 13 year old to watch the drunk crewmembers try and throw the ball back up on the roof if we accidentally kicked it over the side. Having grown up around carrier landings at the O club, Mildenhall rotes and trying to "steal" the 39th chuck wagon I expected a little more of a rowdy air force than I have experienced. I guess things have changed.

Polly M. was a good Commander I heard - I have worked with her since she left AMC. She is good peeps to work with, unlike the droves of other AMC demagogues...

I flew with her at the Rock when she was in PIQ...definitely one of the best/hardest working pilots I've ever been around.

Yeah, I am a Blackcat Ex-Con and it is certainly sad to hear that they rolled up the guidon and vanished from POB. In fact, the whole concept for the baseops.net website came about on my first 41st rotation (good ole days - Germany / Bosnia support!).

:flag_waving:

Is it time to revive the "zeromorale/darkside" stuff? I'd like to think that the Gordo send-up (Pope vs. The Pope) was the start of this whole thing. The EORI at Mackall AAF probably influenced the direction my career has taken more than anything else. I still look back on the Blackcat days as the hardest I ever laughed.

Is it time to revive the "zeromorale/darkside" stuff? I'd like to think that the Gordo send-up (Pope vs. The Pope) was the start of this whole thing. The EORI at Mackall AAF probably influenced the direction my career has taken more than anything else. I still look back on the Blackcat days as the hardest I ever laughed.

Ahh yes, the darkside website... Now that you mention the Pope AFB vs. The Pope, here is a blast from the past: Darkside Read File

It still brings a smile to my face! Unfortunately the Etinson @ MacKall AAF photo is a broken link... :M16:

PS - anyone remember the "NO-DROP BOARD" back at the 41st? That single event influenced many a crewdog in their career paths... When they say "no one will ever question you if you call out no-drop" -- they are so quick to forget.

I've got nothing but good things to say about our current Sq/CC, but PPM definately was the best one I've worked for in my 6 years in the AF. She had way more to live up to than she diserved I think . . . Comming from the C-141, never having flown a Herc, first woman CC in the Herc world, former Exec of the NAF/CC, etc. But she got her hands dirty and earned respect of the whole Squadron pretty damn quick.

Wish I could say the same about her DO/the current Deuce CC, but let's not taint this thread with that . . . please.

As much as deploying 183 days a year for the last 6 has sucked donkeys, I'd love to hear any other stories anyone has from "the good ole' days" of the 41st.