Switching Active UPT to Guard/Reserve UPT

Guest socalslider00

Guest socalslider00

Hi Guys,

I was recently accepted to AD OTS with a pilot slot and a class date of mid 2007. However, after talking to another OTS guy about flying in the ANG, I am leaning in that direction :D . My question is, can I drop an AD UPT slot and then accept an ANG UPT slot? I remember reading something about not ever being able to attend UPT if you had declined a slot in the past.

Also, if I go AD, how long is it before I can switch to an ANG unit? Do I need to fulfill the 10 yr commitment first?

Thanks.

Robert

Originally posted by SoCalSlider:

I remember reading something about not ever being able to attend UPT if you had declined a slot in the past.

SoCal,

Dance with the one that brung ya. Stay with the sure bet. If you decline a slot, it is VERY difficult to get picked up again. The first question I would ask you on a hiring board is "Why didn't you go to UPT with the AD and then come to us as a rated pilot in a few years?"

Also, if I go AD, how long is it before I can switch to an ANG unit? Do I need to fulfill the 10 yr commitment first?
Technically, yes. The AF goes through changes almost daily. When I left AD, it was virtually impossible to get out of your commitment more than 6 months early. I had to wait until the end of my commitment. Now, they are paying guys to leave and letting them switch as 1LT's with 2-3 years of rated time.

BL: You have a slot. It's too late to try to switch anything iwthout some sort of ramifications. Go as an AD guy. Enjoy your time on AD. You will learn a lot, have benefits, make friends for life - guys that will literally be your brothers. When you get a few years under your belt, the Guard is a great place to be.

I used to say that I wished I had known about the ANG before I joined AD (and sometimes I still do), but as I look back on everything I have gotten to do and see, as both an AD and Guard guy, I really wouldn't trade it.

Guest AirGuardian

Concur with Scooter14,

Just check back after a couple of good AD years and KEEP ON checking every year if that's still your goal. Give the AD some time and do your best as well as upgrading. The AD tends to upgrade their folks a bit faster than us and it will help your chances with the experience you gain in this capacity. But, don't wait until you're a Major as it will become harder and harder to jump in a unit as you increase in rank vs the experience. Experience is very desirable and of course the ability to fit in. Rank regarding the vacancy may become an issue as you rise. If you happen to be flying an MWS that is overfilled on the AD side, they (AD) might let you go quite a bit earlier than expected as Scooter14 alluded to. We absorbed a young 1st LT from the B-1 community because of the overage in that particular MWS at that time. He had been flying for nearly a year with only 60hrs or so in the jet. Pretty slim pickens sometimes and in other areas (i.e. AMC) there can be excessive amounts of deployments that may not agree. Suck up a few deployments and then see where you're at in your life study (family, experience, burn-out rate, etc.) and visit a few Guard or Reserve units to figure out their ops tempo, requirementes and whatnot.

Godspeed on your endeavor and take what you have! You'll regret it if you somehow lose the opportunity overall....

One advantage of active duty: You get to pick your airframe if you are good enough and try hard enough, and most importantly arent a douche and work with your brothers. I went to UPT wanting to fly one kind of plane. Half way through I wanted to fly another kind.

Its a good way to go, I wouldnt trade my guard slot for anything, but as the others said...you can always come this way later (sts)

I had an AD Navy slot when I got picked up by the Guard. Know of a few others that had spots in the AirForce that are now Guard. I absolutely would not give your OTS Date up in the hopes of a Guard spot but definately don't feel bad about applying to units with that spot in the hand. Looks good in the interview when they ask "What will you do if we don't hire you? Sir, I have a date in May of 07, I'll fufill my AD tour and reapply with you in 2017"

That OTS and UPT spot will get filled by someone else if you do get hired somewhere no matter what some might tell you. There are always people on the short call list itching for an earlier date. Be prepared if you do get hired this Spring to not go to training until 08, not sure if they would be able to keep that school date or not.

Lastly look carefully what you'll be giving up going to the Guard and weigh that with the benefits. Send out some Apps and see what happens. The tough decisions are the most fun but to have that decision you need to start getting on the phone today, visiting units and sending out apps for the places you want to get hired.

Good luck,

-j

Guest socalslider00

Thanks for all the help guys. Now that I know there is a possibility of switching to the ANG from AD after a few years, I am definitely more inclined to go AD. I just felt that at this point in my life the ANG was right for me, but now I'll certainly relish my time in the AD and see how I feel in a few years.

Thanks again.

Robert

• 3 months later...
Guest Albert

Is this even possible? I am about half way through the first phase of pilot training right now, I have about 3 months left and have done well thus far, I am hoping for T-38’s. I am realizing that being apart of the reserves or ANG would be a better situation for my family and me than active duty. Would a reserve unit or ANG even consider me now, or would they want me to graduate UPT first? If it is possible to switch, what steps would I need to take to make this happen? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Rainman A-10

UFB!

How in the world did you get this far along in UPT without someone kicking your ass?

Walk into your flight commander's office and tell him you quit because you have realized that the active duty military is just not going to fit into your family's plans or lifestyle.

Do it.

I was wondering how long it would take Rain to roll in on this one!

I am sure the Reserves or a Guard unit will be more than happy to pick you up...once you have completed your ADSC.

Not the best post to start off with!

Cheers! M2

It's called Palace Chase, but I *think* that presupposes you are already qualed and flying something. Getting hired at a ANG/Res unit is a lengthy process, so even if you started applying now you'd most likely be done with UPT before you would have an interview of any sort...unless you were local to the unit of interest and/or they knew you well and making contact was therefore a non-issue.. Also, it will be difficult to get out from the hectic year and a half UPT/FTU is to go rush units. My guess would be that you need to get done with UPT, figure out what you're going to fly, and once you're established in your assignment, hit units up until you get picked up. Of course, once you are qualified in an airframe, units that fly your particular frame will most likely be your most realistic option. If you track T-1s and your wish was to fly fighters for the Guard/Res, I don't think it's gonna happen for ya bro. The main thing here is that you need to understand that getting picked up by a Guard/Reserve unit is a fairly competitive process, more competitive than getting an active duty pilot slot (there I said it). So you should have done your homework earlier (as in, before you committed yourself to pilot training with the AD). That said, I tend to think you'll be in a more realistic position to Palace Chase once you get done with pilot and follow-on training. There are some folks in here that have palace chase'd to the Guard less than a year after completing FTU, so having to wait until your ADSC is done with is not the only way to go about (I think that had a 'pay your dues' tone to it) .....it's definitively doable early on, you just have to apply apply apply. I don't think you'll get any support from your AD chain of command though. So keep it to yourself. Good luck man.

Guest cbire880

I'll put $5 down that "Albert" and "Amanda" have very similar IP addresses... Anyone care to check the IPs?

Guest Ftrooper91

You cannot swap from an AD slot to an ARC slot during your UPT training. The funding for the quotas isn't the same and there is zero chance you would get picked up by an ARC Unit. Feel free to crush your career trying though. Might be best for the long term.

Guest ACJ7464

Looks like the other SNAPs are flying wing for their cohorts.

Albert and Ftrooper91, have you checked out the rules (especially #4, 6, & 11), via the button at the top of every page? Here is the address if you can't find the "Rules" button: http://www.flyingsquadron.com/guidelines.html

Edited by ACJ7464

Guest Ftrooper91

Let's see......well, I still stand by it. Maybe not the happiest post I ever made but I think the question asked was answered. And a bit less hammer over the head than some earlier ones. But then, it's been a long day.