GPA questions

Guest Aviationbuff

Guest Aviationbuff

When it comes to applying for SUPT what GPA is looked at total cumulative, major GPA, or GPA while in ROTC. I ask this cause I have a shit gpa right now, cumulative is 2.3 and major gpa is 2.95. I was on the presidents list spring 04 semester (3.8) and had a 3.3 over the summer and plan on being on the presidents list from here on out. This will be my first semester in AFROTC. I know gpa is a small part of it but I was just wondering which gpa is the one that counts?

I will be commuting a little over an hour both ways for ROTC, and I also hold a full time job so I do not have much time for extra cirricular activity. Is this going to hurt me a lot?

Also any other advice on how to get yourself high on the commanders list would be appreciated. I take all advice very serious. I would run a marathon through hell and then back if it meant getting my commision w/ silver wings!

[ 15. August 2004, 21:32: Message edited by: Aviationbuff ]

The board doesn't look at your GPA per se, they look at your overall Order of Merit. Your cumulative GPA is 15% of that. Since you currently have a low GPA, you need to focus on bringing that up as much as possible. Maybe you should try taking some of the easier classes in your major during the semester(s) before you categorize; or you can try to make up the points in other areas as well. Try to get a high pcsm score, PFT score, and do well at field training (SP and DG help out a great deal).

Since this is going to be your first year in ROTC, you need to play catch-up. Those who came in to ROTC as freshman already have a slight advantage. Try not to screw up. Don't miss appointments with cadre and don't be late for ROTC class or LLAB, because that's where you get the most face time. I know with your commute it will be hard, but get involved somehow. The real question (not just to you, but to everyone wanting a pilot slot) is "how bad do you want it?" When I came to my detachment, I was a year behind. Everyone I talked to said they wanted to be a pilot. There were probably 15 to 20 people saying they wanted a slot. We just categorized this year and 4 of us got slots. Everyone says they want to fly, but most don't put forth the time or effort.

That's just my point of view, hope it helps. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Is there going to be a minimum GPA for non-techs applying for a pilot slot? I called two officer recruiters today and asked them and one said YES the other said NO. :confused:

Any help or direction towards new pubs on new AD requirements would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...
Guest slashVF

I just transferred to another school (where I'm doing much better) and was wondering what GPA is used for the process, my previous gpa, currernt gpa, or a mix of both?

Air Force GPA is grades from every single college class you have ever taken, not just your current school. So your previous school grades will be included in your AF GPA but not your school GPA.

Not positive if RSS is calculated the same everywhere but should be relatively close.

• 2 months later...
Guest Ghostrider

I think we all know that GPA is 15% of your OM, but in the real world, what's considered to be a good GPA? Let's say after the AF you didn't want to fly for the majors, what kind of GPA would it take to land a really good job. Thanks!

It totally depends on what field you want to get into. For example, my personal experience shows that the major aerospace firms in the country look for the "big picture" with their personnel. For example, an individual with a 3.0 in an aero. eng. degree and a history of five leadership positions in extracurricular activities (frats, clubs, community service, etc.) will most likely get hired before someone with a 4.0 and stayed in their dorm room playing halo 2 all day...

• 1 year later...
Guest cefiro

I called a recruiter yesterday, and he said that I needed a 3.0 gpa if I didnt have a technical degree. Is this true? I thought it was just a 2.5 minimum.

Guest cbire880
I called a recruiter yesterday, and he said that I needed a 3.0 gpa if I didnt have a technical degree. Is this true? I thought it was just a 2.5 minimum.

You would be correct if you are talking about apply to OTS for a non-techinical, non-rated position. I'm assuming since you said "recruiter" you are going that route. 3.0 for non-rated, non-tech. 2.5 for rated or technical. If you are going to ROTC, that's a whole different ballgame that I think has been covered.

• 1 month later...

Quick question thought I had seen this, but I searched with now luck, When they look at GPA do they look at your overall GPA or your GPA within your major.

Somehow my major courses are a higher GPA then my overall, and I was considering taking some B.S. Easy A classes to boost my GPA.. anyone got any thought on this? This primarily is geared towards OTS Selection, or I plan to go to get my masters and Rejoin ROTC. But I figure either way the question is Valid

GPA now is 2.89 likely will drop a bit this semester

Guest checksix
Quick question thought I had seen this, but I searched with now luck, When they look at GPA do they look at your overall GPA or your GPA within your major.

Somehow my major courses are a higher GPA then my overall, and I was considering taking some B.S. Easy A classes to boost my GPA.. anyone got any thought on this? This primarily is geared towards OTS Selection, or I plan to go to get my masters and Rejoin ROTC. But I figure either way the question is Valid

GPA now is 2.89 likely will drop a bit this semester

For OTS they use all of the classes you've ever taken and for ROTC they just use whatever GPA the school you're at gives them.

Simple as that... good luck!

They look at your GPA and your major. For instance, they might like a 3.5 in physics over a 3.5 in business admin. But it's all part of the overall image you present them. "Whole person" concept and all. Don't get so hung up on your GPA unless you're batting a 2.3 or something similar.

Not true. If you've gone to multiple schools (Like I have) they count all college classes taken at all schools.

If you've only been to one school, then they're the same. I know my university doesn't count the GPA of classes taken outside of my university.

Not true. If you've gone to multiple schools (Like I have) they count all college classes taken at all schools.

If you've only been to one school, then they're the same. I know my university doesn't count the GPA of classes taken outside of my university.

Isn't it true though that the college you are transferring to may let you drop a few courses that you've taken at your previous college?

Isn't it true though that the college you are transferring to may let you drop a few courses that you've taken at your previous college?

The college will, but the AF won't. I got a D at one college for a class, and my university wouldn't take it or mark it on my transcripts. But, the AF includes it when they calculate my overall GPA.

Ok New question on grade calculating.. from my understanding EVERY CLASS EVER TAKEN IS COUNTED (please correct me.. this includes classes failed then retook? now on to calculation.. is it clear cut a A=4 B=3.... so on, or do they do anything different when there is A-, A +

I guess once you have your degree completed your GPA is set. By then it is out of your control. Since it is too late to do anything about that, you'd have to rely on the whole person concept. The other areas, such as the AFOQT will have to be used to help boost your overall package. I guess for OTS that is what has to be done.

For the ROTC cadets, though, I would hope that they would not slack off on grades just because they feel they can make up for it in other areas of the whole person concept. Hopefully they would go for more than the minimum. They should not be concerned with what the minimum GPA is, but should be concerned with how they can improved their current GPA. But I guess since it is competative in nature one is only shooting themself in the foot by only meeting the most basic requirements.

The college graduate going for OTS really can't do anything about their GPA. But the younger ROTC students have much more control over that.

Yeah, I definetely had an OTS recruiter feed me that line of BS, problem was that I bit. This guy wouldn't even let me take the AFOQT or take an application from me to meet a board. On the way out I noticed the certificates on his wall for five years running that he had 100% acceptance at boards, which pretty much meant to me that he wouldn't let you apply unless he was sure you'd be picked up.

However, I did finally get a commission (and a pilot slot!) through ROTC. I did find out that I could have fought the guy. There is a GPA requirement and from what I've heard they won't really approve your application if it's under a 3.0 for non-tech...unless...you can get a waiver. Evidently they can waiver your GPA based on AFOQT scores...I had two 98's, two 97's and a 95...so I would have qualified. However, in retrospect I think the recruiter was a little on the shady side, but I'm glad I went through ROTC even though I already had a 4 yr degree (240 credit hours!). With no prior experience I feel much more prepared from my ROTC training than I would have gotten from OTS. Not slamming OTS, just you get more from a few years even in a program like ROTC than you can from 12 weeks in OTS. After seeing OTS in action, I really think OTS is better geared towards the prior e's out there, not people fresh out of college.

My 2 pesos...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CAVOK

Bishop, et al.

While your major does matter, your gpa is much more important. There are no magical formulas out there that take into account that one person was EE or Astro while the next one was music appreciation. All else being equal, then the major may help you some, but only if the interviewer or the board take it into account. No major out there will help a 2.0 compete with a 3.5 (in my humble opinion).

The same thing goes for your college. A 4.0 from a lesser known college is still a 4.0. The person with a 2.8 from MIT may get a little extra consideration, but it is impossible for me or anyone else to tell you how much.

As far as retaking a class, it is as simple as this:

If it shows up on your official transcript, then it counts. If it does not show up on your transcript, it never happened!

CAVOK :flag_waving:

Edited by CAVOK