Selected as Alternate for ANG Unit

New guy on the forum here, i was recently selected as an alternate by an ANG Viper Unit.

1. Does anybody have any experience they can share about being selected as an alternate? 

2. Did you eventually make it as a primary?

3. Did you get picked up on the next board?

4.Did you get hired by another unit?

Thank you!

Edited by UPTapplicant96

Sounds like you're doing all the right things.  You should keep applying everywhere in the interim but I'd say don't be annoying (if their needs change they'll contact you).  Once the pandemic passes maybe go back to a UTA weekend or two.  Most places I've applied have said verbatim selection as an alternate means you have to recompete at the next board same as everyone else.  

• Like 1

Id back up what tarheel said. If you got selected as an alternate for a fighter unit, you're on the right track. Get some more flying in to get that PCSM up if you dont want to retake the TBAS. But, they know you're the alternate, dont bug them telling them you are ready whenever. They know. But basically, dont bank on an alternate spot working out. It does sometimes, but its no where close to a guarantee. And it can be a year or more until they find out their primary candidate cannot attend UPT for a mirage of reasons. You dont want to wait around a year + to figure that out. And while its great you got the alternate spot, dont go into the next board thinking you're a shoe-in just because of it. Maybe it gives you a slight leg up, but I'd still go in with the attitude that you're at the ground floor still. Keep applying and dont give up!

• Like 1