Baseops Forums
JimNtexas

Revised CSO training scheme

A step in the right direction!  The CSO concept was good on paper, but the career field is far too diverse for a jack of all trades, master of none approach. 

"The school rearranged training in order to identify students with the best aptitude for typical CSO missions. To do that, they inserted portions of formerly advanced phases of training into the primary phase using simulators. Cadre are now evaluating each student's potential to function as a WSO, sensor operator, navigator, or EWO before assignment in one of four new specialized advanced tracks."

Interesting....that's how we did it in the Navy when I was winged back in the 90's.  I am assuming the Navy still does it that way.  Build the basics of a NFO, then track them to their community (in my day is was RIO training track, Over water Nav, and Attack A-6-EA-6B types).  We all had core Air and low level nav fundementals we all had to do in advanced training, but with a trend toward your speciality.  

ATIS

I'm old enough to have graduated from 'Universal Nav Training', which basically was about a nine month course in table navigation with a little bit of radar and low level thrown in.   After UNT I went to EWO school which was about four or five months and then to F-4s.