Info on AFOSI (Office of Special Investigation)

Guest ShortThrow

Guest ShortThrow

I know that I'm going to get chewed and spit out for this but oh well.

(I did read the other 1 thread on this board about OSI)

Anyone have any info on OSI for me? I've learned what I can from the internet so not much help there, unless I'm missing some sites.

I've met with the only AFOSI agent in my state once but she was given a 2 week deployment notice and now is in Iraq. I've tried emailing their "info" personnel but haven't heard anything back.

I'm mainly looking for selection info, what they take into account, what's most important etc. I know about the actual timeline, but not what's important and what makes someone marketable for the job. Anything you all can shed light on is great.

Thanks for bearing with my non military aviation question. I know this thread shouldn't be here, but I don't know where to ask anymore :(

http://forums.realpolice.net/forumdisplay.php?f=51

http://www.911jobforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/Docs/DPA/OSI/CADETS.doc

http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/Docs/DPA/OSI/DEADLINES.doc

From the AFOSI Global reliance magazine from their website:

Captain Nottestad said one of the most important aspects of the applications was the content of the interview by the OSI detachment commander

or special agent in charge. Again, after much deliberation the top packages were selected. OSI was allowed selection of 11 AFROTC cadets. These selections were done based upon the top scores of the top 11 packages; the next four top scores were

determined to be the alternates in case one of the 11 are disqualified later.

Here are some informal statistics provided by Captain Nottestad on what the board members looked for in their successful applicants:

1) Eight of 11 were ranked number one in their commissioning class.

2) All were ranked in the top 10 percent of their commissioning class.

3) 10 of 11 possessed some fluency in foreign language.

4) Eight of 11 held the rank of cadet wing commander, the highest senior leadership position attainable. The other three held a cadet group

commander or Arnold Air Society Commander position.

5) Nine of 11 had a GPA of more than 3.5.

6) All had a GPA of more than 3.1.

“Several detachments sent forth very strong and sometimes numerous applications,” Captain Nottestad said. Future officer applicant board dates are posted and routinely updated on the Air

Force Personnel Center Web site, by following the links:

Military Assignments – Officer, Mission Support

Officer – OSI Assignments and then selecting the link needed under the OSI page.

'2' on HD's post as well; while the application instructions say that OAF-OSI is not given preference over a regular interview, most of the agents I talked to this summer on OAF said it definately helps with the interview portion if you do a good job since the interview is then more of a formality instead of the Det/CC trying to find everything about you in 40 minutes.

[ 24. October 2006, 19:41: Message edited by: magnetfreezer ]

Guest ShortThrow

Wow, thanks for the help. Looks like I have alot of reading ahead of me.

Thanks again!

Mod. can close this now if they would like.

Yeah, OSI does some weird stuff. I remember doing an internship with them while I was in college... talk about some weird stuff they get into! If you are in ROTC set it up with your commander... many times you can get an internship (If they still do them). If nothing else the PAS can set it up so you can talk with them face to face in a reasonable amount of time. If you are not affiliated with the military I would say it would be difficult due to privilaged information...

Robes

• 1 year later...
Guest dlm5006

ok soo im going to be graduating in may with a BA and im going to do a two yr rotc program at my local college while getting my MBA.

i want to be an special investigations officer. do i have to have any law enforcement background or anything? and what is the best way to go about getting that job??

Guest dlm5006

also do you have to be on scholarship in the rotc program to get commissioned?!?!? if my detachment tells me some crap about not being able to get a scholarship and wanting to drop me can i still just continue doing afrotc on my own and still get commissioned??

also do you have to be on scholarship in the rotc program to get commissioned?!?!? if my detachment tells me some crap about not being able to get a scholarship and wanting to drop me can i still just continue doing afrotc on my own and still get commissioned??

You don't have to take one cent from Uncle Sam to finish the program. However, Uncle Sam does not have to commission you just becasue you did it, either. And, if (when) they offer you one, you do not have to accept it...you can take the completed ROTC "check mark" and go to any Reserve or Guard Base all ready to go. That usually does not happen though.

IF you really want OSI...my suggestion is to pursue it on the civilian side...the officers usually only work the cool stuff for a few years, then they are riding the desk. (grosse generalizations there) Purely techniqe though.

Not to mention I hear its pretty hard to get it after you're already commissioned. If you don't get it out of ROTC, it'll be an uphill battle to get it later. I'd try civilian side. You can keep doing something you want to do while you apply without any of the risk of getting a job/base you don't like.

Not to mention I hear its pretty hard to get it after you're already commissioned. If you don't get it out of ROTC, it'll be an uphill battle to get it later. I'd try civilian side. You can keep doing something you want to do while you apply without any of the risk of getting a job/base you don't like.

I actually heard the exact opposite. Most of the people that get OSI are on AD already. Very few slots come from ROTC or the academy.

I actually heard the exact opposite. Most of the people that get OSI are on AD already. Very few slots come from ROTC or the academy.

I know that there are less than a dozen slots for OSI in a given year for the whole of ROTC. A girl at my det got one a few years back and she had to go interview with an OSI Detachment and do an internship with them the year before she commissioned. I hear that if you don't do that, you can bet that OSI is not in your future (for ROTC).

I know that there are less than a dozen slots for OSI in a given year for the whole of ROTC. A girl at my det got one a few years back and she had to go interview with an OSI Detachment and do an internship with them the year before she commissioned. I hear that if you don't do that, you can bet that OSI is not in your future (for ROTC).

You can do both of those and still get told to F-off. That happened to a guy at my det.

• 5 months later...
Guest dlm5006

In afrotc and im wanting to go into OSI. Is it possible to get this job when you first commission? What do i need to do to increase my chances of getting into OSI? Any info would be much appreciated.

In afrotc and im wanting to go into OSI. Is it possible to get this job when you first commission? What do i need to do to increase my chances of getting into OSI? Any info would be much appreciated.

It is a very competitive process, if I remember they only give out a few slots a year. I would recommend talking to your Det Cadre, using an upper-case I when referring to yourself and putting an ' between "I" and "m."

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive this thread...but I am heading to my FC1 Physical on 13 August and wondering if I should apply for an OSI slot (deadline for information is 15 August 2011 this year). I want to be a pilot more than anything, but if for some reason anything happens, the door for my 2nd top choice will close for this fiscal year. I have the credentials for it and think I could make a good impact on the boards, but does anyone think it would be worth it? For example, if a person does not get the passing results on an FC1, is he or she SOL for any other flying position?

GL but unless things have changed OSI is very difficult to get right from the commissioning source. If you can pull off an OSI slot and then turn it down for pilot there will be a bunch of people who wanna slap you in the face. Hope you get whatcha want man.

GL but unless things have changed OSI is very difficult to get right from the commissioning source. If you can pull off an OSI slot and then turn it down for pilot there will be a bunch of people who wanna slap you in the face. Hope you get whatcha want man.

True, they would definitely want to slap you. But it's a dog-eat-dog world...you've busted your ass to be #1 so keep the doors open. Apply for everything you desire then pick what you want, you earned that right.