TBAS

Guest pilotbax

Guest pilotbax

Any suggestions on games to use before you go for your TBAS? It's been a while and I was wanting to warm up a bit before going in.

Play a dogfighter, i.e. Il-2 Sturmovik. Getting rudder pedals would be ideal as well--fly the helicopters in a Microsoft game to get a good handle on the rudder/joystick brain connection.

Aside from video games, though, I would highly recommend learning to juggle. I did a couple months ago expressly for the purpose of the TBAS. If you can walk around while juggling and have a conversation with someone at the same time, the test's info overload shouldn't phase you too much.

I would highly recommend learning to juggle. I did a couple months ago expressly for the purpose of the TBAS. If you can walk around while juggling and have a conversation with someone at the same time, the test's info overload shouldn't phase you too much.

I bet the ladies really dig you.

• Upvote 1

I bet the ladies really dig you.

No, but the rated board will.

No shit...whatever happened to the days when prepping for the TBAS meant cutting yourself off at 10 beers the night before?

Don't hate the player, hate the game! The wannabe-pilots of my generation are paranoid as shit about this stuff, and not for no reason.

Edited by Flatley

The wannabe-pilots of my generation are paranoid as shit about this stuff

Then tell your generation to stop being such a bunch of pussies. Seriously, it's just a little test, what the hell is everyone so paranoid about? At the point you're a freshman/sophomore in college taking this thing, you either have hand-eye coordination and memory skills or you don't. No amount of doing lame stuff is going to make any measurable amount of difference. But whatever, it's up to you if you'd rather spend your free time in college juggling or playing computer games than going to parties or doing other interactive activities.

Edited by brabus
  • Downvote 1

I agree with the fact that eye hand coordination cannot get dramtically better by juggling or playing video games. Either you have it or you dont, especially by the time you are 19-22 years old.

But I do think flashcard for the first part of the TBAS can help. First time I took the tbas I got a 54 PCSM with no studying.

The second time I made flashcards for the directional orientation part (in my opinion the most crucial/hardest part) and I got an 89 PCSM after that.

You get points for how fast you answer the question and how accurate. I answered all 46 questions and missed only 1! It took me less than 1 second to answer most of the questions. I had all possible questions memorized so when I took the test it was a breeze.

Edited by Peteflyer105

Then tell your generation to stop being such a bunch of pussies. Seriously, it's just a little test, what the hell is everyone so paranoid about? At the point you're a freshman/sophomore in college taking this thing, you either have hand-eye coordination and memory skills or you don't. No amount of doing lame stuff is going to make any measurable amount of difference. But whatever, it's up to you if you'd rather spend your free time in college juggling or playing computer games than going to parties or doing other interactive activities.

We're paranoid about getting stuck in missile silos or on the flightline with SF or whatever. I'm not going to put up with 4 years of ROTC bullshit only to get shot down because my numbers weren't high enough. If it costs me a few nights at the bar, who cares? I did what I did, I scored what I scored, and I absolutely believe that prepping for it helped me out. Knock on me all you want, it won't matter if I get a pilot slot.

This is 100% serious advice--quit being a tool.

Oh come on now, that was a joke.

Guest pilotbax

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I took the TBAS once about 6 months ago and am sure I can do better. The flashcards are good to have, now I just need to work on the hand eye coordination.

according to past results, I would say you guys shouldnt get so wrapped up in the TBAS, because i know guys that scored a 20, 17, 15, 38 and they all got slots. the guys that scored 17, 20 both got fighters, im not sure about the 38 and 15 guys.

not saying you should go wing it, but dont over stress yourself.

• Downvote 1

The TBAS is something you can definitely prepare for / ace. (Same goes for AFOQT) I bombed the first time around...did some of the things mentioned above and bumped my score up by 38 points. Interviewed the first time around with a 61 PCSM and didn't get hired. Interviewed the next year with improved score and I know that made an impact on their decision to give me the good word.

The nature of the test is supposed to remain sneaky but having taken it once already I'm sure you have an idea of some of the things you can do to improve for the next time around. Everything I did to prep has been mentioned on this thread. Good luck.

We're paranoid about getting stuck in missile silos or on the flightline with SF or whatever. I'm not going to put up with 4 years of ROTC bullshit only to get shot down because my numbers weren't high enough. If it costs me a few nights at the bar, who cares? I did what I did, I scored what I scored, and I absolutely believe that prepping for it helped me out. Knock on me all you want, it won't matter if I get a pilot slot.

Oh come on now, that was a joke.

This stuff is crazy. The only reason you guys get all wrapped up about this stuff is because you know it exists thanks to the Internet. I had no idea anything existed or what the test even was. They asked "does anyone want to apply for pilot?". I said "sure, why not?". They told me to drive 2 hours to another school that weekend to take some test with a joystick so I did.

You've got what you've got. Just have fun in school and quit worrying about stuff. They make almost everyone a pilot these days anyway.

• Downvote 1

I'll never forget when a guy in my class was bragging that he got a 96 on the the PCSM when myself and 5 others told him that we all got 99's. Never seen such a sad look hit someone so quickly. Of the 99's in my class, 2 got fighters. 4 guys that got fighters had pcsm's less than 80. 1 was in the 20's. Don't get too wrapped up in a number.