Container STS

PRK and LASIK Information

On 7/18/2018 at 2:36 PM, William said:

I am a freshman in college at the moment working on my private pilot license I am about two weeks from my check ride and getting my license. I called an ots recruiter he was pleased I had so much interest this early and the desire to get all the pt down now rather than later. But my main question is I have glasses can I fly for the Air Force? Today I am going to get a vision test form my eye and see if my eyes have worsened any. Am I able to take the flight psychical with glasses or not. The question is can I be a pilot in the USAF with glasses I want to be a pilot in the airforce period I don't care what airframe I am flying. I loving flying, and I want to serve. By the time I am down with college, I will be 22 and have all certifications up to CFI. Just be honest with me on this I am capable because I have no other health issues no allergies, std, eye diseases, or broken bones. Any info is appreciated thank you!

On 7/19/2018 at 12:16 PM, William said:

Does anyone know if it is ok to have Lasik eye surgery and still be ok for upt and ots?

William,

Are you seriously asking these questions?  They have been answered ad nauseam both in this thread and throughout this website.   Help yourself out and do a little research.

6 hours ago, ayz33 said:

Where can i get a copy of my actual waiver? DodMERB told me they don't get copies and it's not on their website. I know it was granted but i'm trying to apply to units and this would make it easier rather than sending in all my surgery papers if I already had an approved waiver.

Thanks!

Waivers are in AIMWTS.  Do you have access to flight medicine?  They can access it.

3 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

Waivers are in AIMWTS.  Do you have access to flight medicine?  They can access it.

Not to my knowledge. I should have mentioned I was still in ROTC. I have a form 2351 that shows a granted waiver but i'd like to have the actual waiver for ease of understanding and clarification.

5 hours ago, ayz33 said:

Not to my knowledge. I should have mentioned I was still in ROTC. I have a form 2351 that shows a granted waiver but i'd like to have the actual waiver for ease of understanding and clarification.

PM me with your information and I'll look into it (if you want me to).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

PM me with your information and I'll look into it (if you want me to).

Your inbox is full

Question pertaining to the timing of PRK itself in relation to the application process. I am going to be applying to ANG/Reserve squadrons as soon as I have finished my TBAS this Friday. I do require PRK and have been cleared by my recruiter and a local surgery center to proceed. The problem is getting time off of work to do the surgery and heal up enough to go back to work (I am a forklift operator). 

I guess my question is this: should I get the surgery done ASAP? or can I wait until after I have been picked up by a squadron (in the even that that even happens)? 

Potential notes of interest: I have not gone to MEPS, I have also not gone to do my FCI physical. I am 28 years old.  

Edited by jyang1659

16 hours ago, jyang1659 said:

Question pertaining to the timing of PRK itself in relation to the application process. I am going to be applying to ANG/Reserve squadrons as soon as I have finished my TBAS this Friday. I do require PRK and have been cleared by my recruiter and a local surgery center to proceed. The problem is getting time off of work to do the surgery and heal up enough to go back to work (I am a forklift operator). 

I guess my question is this: should I get the surgery done ASAP? or can I wait until after I have been picked up by a squadron (in the even that that even happens)? 

Potential notes of interest: I have not gone to MEPS, I have also not gone to do my FCI physical. I am 28 years old.  

I guess the answer depends on whether you are getting PRK just to qualify for the Air Force or if you'd want to pay to get it done regardless of a flying career.  If you don't want to have it done unless it means the difference in flying versus not flying, then I'd wait until I was picked up.  On the contrary, once you get PRK, there is a minimum six month wait before you can take your physical so that may be an issue.

3 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

I guess the answer depends on whether you are getting PRK just to qualify for the Air Force or if you'd want to pay to get it done regardless of a flying career.  If you don't want to have it done unless it means the difference in flying versus not flying, then I'd wait until I was picked up.  On the contrary, once you get PRK, there is a minimum six month wait before you can take your physical so that may be an issue.

I want to get PRK done no matter what. If I am not selected, having had PRK done will remain a positive. 

As of today I have scheduled my PRK about a month from now. But, lets say I choose to wait on the surgery. Will hiring boards see that I require PRK? 

20 hours ago, jyang1659 said:

I want to get PRK done no matter what. If I am not selected, having had PRK done will remain a positive. 

As of today I have scheduled my PRK about a month from now. But, lets say I choose to wait on the surgery. Will hiring boards see that I require PRK? 

Maybe some will, but I've seen many units hold slots for people needing refractive surgery.