Military Posers

Guest Fred

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KoolKat

Oh great c17...ch. 9. Leave everyone else not in your local programming area out! Nice.

I enjoy watching a good breast exam now and again!

Guest Awol55
Originally posted by Jkarl:

There is no way a f-14 could travel at Mach 3 for that distance, the wings would burn off. (@ Mach 3 the wings would reach a heat of approx 650 degrees.)

From AF Fact sheet

Speed- 1,584 mph (2,548km/h) Max. speed at 40,000 ft (12,200 m)Max Mach Number = 1.88 Cruise Mach Number = .72

Fuel: 16, 200 lbs. Internal fuel: 3, 800 lbs. External

Maximum range- 1,600 nm (2,573km)

No way it's true (Maybe in a SR-71)

Can you say "JOKE"?

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Toro:

You obviously figured out he was full of it, but there is no such 'Private Ryan' type rule in the Air Force. There was a guy in my squadron at Lakenheath whose twin brother was in our sister squadron right down the street. The two of them were actually at ONW at the same time and got their picture and a short blurb in the af.mil sight.

Guest SnakeT38

Allright, I didn't read all the stuff about

the "Chick" Viper driver, who was she and

and how did she know what she wrote?

I think 'she' was just some Falcon 4.0 geek with a good deal of knowledge about the Viper (could have come from Jane's or any other numerous sources). 'She' had some technical knowledge, but 'her' practical application of everything was out to lunch.

Guest Rainman A-10

And she was posting crap about her OIF combat sorties out of Incirlik.

Guest skipplet

It's too bad she was busted. I think a lot of the guys on that site had a hard-on for her :rolleyes:

Guest Wxpunk

stud,

I'll send you all the material, but you need to have an account that can accept better than 10 MB's. If you don't have one, let me know, I'll send you an invite to the Gmail beta (2.5 GB storage!)

--------------

Wxpunk

Guest jriggoMOANG

Speaking of posers, I met a great one over the weekend at the airshow at Tinker AFB. Let me qualify this by sayiung that I am not in the "BIZ" as of yet, have my first interview on Sunday, so I could be wrong.

This guy was about the age of Vietnam vets and talked a good talk. There was a C-130 that was open and availible for touring. My wife and I were right behind him as we went through. He kept tell everyone around him that he had thousands of hours in a 130 back in the day. Talked about how he did not like to use the side jump doors and prefered to jump out of the back ramp because he could make it really fun and do a back flip and make it look really cool. As we approached the cockpit, he stated that he had been a Flight Engineer and when he went through training he was also sent to Little Rock so he could learn how to fly the plane incase something happened to both pilots that way he could know how to land it. When we got up in the pit, he was asking the pilot who was there now tell me what these switches do, and what model aircraft is this? When the pilot told him it was an H2 model, he started lokking at and flipping switches. On top of that he was letting his kids (or grandkids not sure) play with the yoke and throttles. That made me kinda mad, showing no respect. It was obvious that the pilot was not too happy either as he appeared to be biting his tounge trying hard not to say anything. He may have been telling the truth, but he just seamed a little too sure of himself trying to make sure that everyone in the tour line knew that he use to be on a plane very similar. Just my two cents, but my wife and I got a good laugh at his expense.

[ 05. July 2005, 13:27: Message edited by: J.R. MO ANG ]

Guest briscoe

I used to know a guy who had a sister who used date a guy who, after they broke up, started to date and then eventually married my widow... they had a child who grew up to be a fighter pilot... he told me once he did a roll in a Viper at Mach 3 and pulled negative 4 Gs. Can you do that? He said he was eating a sneakers while he did it... he said it helped settle his stomach during the really tight turns.

Guest HueyPilot

Uh...

C-130 Flight Engineers do not jump out of the airplane...so unless that guy was ex-Army or did something else prior to being an FE, he's full of it. Second, most jumpers use a static line, and if you're using a static line, the preferred method of going out is the paratroop doors, not the ramp. If something happens and you wind up getting towed behind the airplane, getting retrieved from a paratroop door is going to be more successful that from the ramp.

And jumping in any capacity isn't horseplay. I don't know of anyone who would tolerate acrobatics from the airplane just to "look cool".

Next, FEs are not trained to fly the airplane "just in case". First, IF he went to receive flying training, he'd learn in a TRAINER, not a four-engined 155,000 turboprop.

Guest jriggoMOANG
Originally posted by HueyPilot:

Uh...

C-130 Flight Engineers do not jump out of the airplane...so unless that guy was ex-Army or did something else prior to being an FE, he's full of it. Second, most jumpers use a static line, and if you're using a static line, the preferred method of going out is the paratroop doors, not the ramp. If something happens and you wind up getting towed behind the airplane, getting retrieved from a paratroop door is going to be more successful that from the ramp.

And jumping in any capacity isn't horseplay. I don't know of anyone who would tolerate acrobatics from the airplane just to "look cool".

Next, FEs are not trained to fly the airplane "just in case". First, IF he went to receive flying training, he'd learn in a TRAINER, not a four-engined 155,000 turboprop.

That is what I thought. I just did not want to be the guy who acts like he knows but really doesn't. Thanks for the reassurance. It is sad when I guy who is not even in, me , can spot the BS.

Guest KoolKat
I used to know a guy who had a sister who used date a guy who, after they broke up, started to date and then eventually married my widow...
My condolences! :eek:

Guest RookiePilot

I think I'm good at spotting posers, as I am from a small town and there are plenty to be had. And well my uncle who is a Vietnam Vet with the rest of my family, was a "Green Beret" Special ops guy, and to see his personality, he doesn't say more than 5 words a day. He just has that "presence", he never shows off or is cocky, I'm more cocky than him. But he's done some stuff, alot of it he won't even talk about, this guy is in his early fifties, so go figure. I have alot of respect for him, makes it easier to spot the posers here in L.A.

[ 05. July 2005, 21:30: Message edited by: RookiePilot ]

• 3 weeks later...

The guys at authentiseal.org are good enough until then.

Since this thread got revived, I have to post a site I stumbled across yesterday. I was looking for info on the 506th PIR and came across this site for a "Living History Unit" a.k.a. "Douchebags who like to play dress up and pretend they were in Easy Company"

IMHO war reinactors are the biggest dorks on the planet. If you like the military so much, why not join it? I mean I respect they don't wear medals that they haven't earned, But they wear jump wings and haven't earned those. Check out the "1stSgt" with his little Airborne tab, classic.

Losers

HD

[ 26. July 2005, 16:01: Message edited by: HerkDriver24 ]

The "Airborne Tab" isn't a tab the same sense as a Ranger Tab. You get a tab that says Airborne if you are assigned to the 101st or 82nd. It's just part of the division patch. A Ranger tab and airborne wings are earned.

Guest degarbage

I flew with a Captain at my airline job who told me he had "2000 hours of Hornet" time. When pressed, he finally confessed it was on 2000 hrs on his MicroSoft Flight software (F-18). What an idiot..

HD

I gotta disagree with your opinion on re-enactors. I have walked the Battle of the Bulge commemorative march for the past three years, and the re-enactors come out in force during the event. They set up demostrations all along the route, and it really brings home what it was like for US forces fighting the Germans. These guys go all out, buying and restoring a lot of equipment that is not only hard to find, but expensive as well.

I don't think they are trying to convince anyone that they are the actual veterans of the war, most of them aren't old enough to have served in WWII. They are mainly history buffs who want to allow people a chance to see firsthand (as best as they can) what it was like back then. These guys are trying to bring history alive but spending a lot of time researching and preserving items from that age. I know a Dutch guy who has a lot of money wrapped up in several WWII vehicles he has restored to pristine status.

But, I will admit that some of these guys are a little TOO into the US military. But for the most part, I wouldn't put these guys in the same category as those who make claims they are SF or something like that, they aren't "posers" in that sense.

Cheers! M2

HD (et al)

Take a gander at their bylaws, for example...

Article 3

Unit Awards for Class A Uniforms

Out of respect for those who earned awards and citations for valor and heroism in combat, no such awards are given or permitted in this unit unless the member has been awarded the citation while he was in actual service to the United States. Also, a unit member may wear the awards of a relative who fought in World War II, if he has a letter of permission from that family member.

In order to maintain the authenticity of the unit’s impression, certain awards are authorized for wear on the Class A uniform. These are awards that we feel are inherent to the Airborne impression and that are obtainable based on unit membership or personal criteria other than valor.

Awards, when applicable, are to be worn on dress uniform in accordance with World War II Army standards. Division insignia should be worn on the left shoulder. Rank chevrons will be worn on both sleeves for enlisted personnel, or on both epaulettes for officers. Branch of Service (crossed rifles) and US insignia will be worn on lapels. Presidential Unit Citation with oak leaf cluster is to be centered above the right breast pocket. Jump wings over left breast pocket over 502nd Regimental Flash. Combat Infantryman’s Badge on left breast pocket flap. Campaign ribbons on the bar above the left breast pocket. Dutch Lanyard around left arm; Belgian Fourragere around right arm; French Fourragere around left arm. Please refer to World War II uniform manuals for the proper placement of these awards.

They are also pretty stringent on what equipment can be used.

Cheers! M2

[ 26. July 2005, 19:43: Message edited by: MajorMadMax ]