Pilot Bags for T-1

Guest Aces-High

Guest Aces-High

I'll be starting in the T-1 in a couple of weeks and I've noticed that most everyone has some sort of Nav bag they carry with them. I've been looking at the Jeppesen Navigator bag as an option. I just want to see what you guys have used (or seen used) and what works the best. The bags are pretty expensive and I don't want to end up buying something that sucks.

Thanks

Our class went with the Cencal. I'm not sure if you're @ Laughlin, but there was an IP there who our entire class bought our bags through. They also had our names put on 'em. They're a good quality bag. The only drawback to them is that they are quite bulky.

Guest SpectrePilot

Nav bags are for Navs.

Squadron should provide the charts & plates bag, pre-packed.

Use your green helmet bag for headset & checklists like 50 years of pilots before you. Done.

Guest sleepy

Jepp, Noral, and Cencal are all over-priced, if you ask me, and I sell them for a living. With all the cutbacks and penny-pinching, I'm thinking one of these when the time comes:

sprt0007.jpg

Originally posted by Aces-High:

I'll be starting in the T-1 in a couple of weeks and I've noticed that most everyone has some sort of Nav bag they carry with them. I've been looking at the Jeppesen Navigator bag as an option. I just want to see what you guys have used (or seen used) and what works the best. The bags are pretty expensive and I don't want to end up buying something that sucks.

Thanks

I bought a high dollar pubs bag for T-1s. It was nice then, but I used it even less at Altus, and haven't used it since then.

I don't know how the AD rolls, but every ANG -135 unit I've flown with has the pubs pre-positioned on the jet, so there is no need for a pubs bag. Now, a cooler on wheels I could see...but a pubs bag is a waste of money IMHO.

I had a Jepp one that ran about $115 or so. The damn thing fell apart. A lot of the stiching that kept the straps in place came undone. The zippers are also INT. They would glide along the track but they wouldn;t necessarily close the zipper. Stay away from Jepp...just paying for the name

just my 20 centavos

Guest KoolKat

Once you go ops, you won't have to worry about it so much...you'll be exactly on what S&C said.

Prior to that, and for sims and shit, you'll have to drag ALOT of shit around.

When I get to, I always think, "When is that damn PFT thing gonna jump out from behind the bush! I should stop smoking so much!"

Once you get out of the Anal Extursion and Tunneling Command, They'll have that shit boxed up and totable. No biggy.

Don't spend too much, and get something with wheels. They might laugh.

They laughed at me at Columbus when I wore my furry "russian" hat. They did it while they were shivering thier asses off. I saw them, I was warm, but I saw them.

Just get something to solve the problem. You don't need to find something that will last your career. Just solve you problem.

BENDY

EDIT: Sometimes I swear the post reads differnt in the "post box" than it does when it's on the thread!!! Really!!!

[ 22. March 2006, 00:36: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest sickels101

I bought the Bug Out bag a few weeks ago for the pub haulage in the B-52 and it is pretty darn good. C-130 Nav turned B-52 pilot recommended it. I am able to get all my really important stuff in there as well.

Guest SpectrePilot

Add sunscreen to the list 4Fans gave you. "Pilots are 4 times more likely to develop skin cancer later in life..." or something like that. Not sure where I heard it from, but my face roasts at altitude. Windscreens are like magnifying glass to some extent.

Guest jcam753

currently vance toner...trust me...just use your flight bag from tweets. all you carry is dash-1, checklist, ifg, gloves, and headset in it. unless you want to be a pretty boy. good luck in the program

Guest Aces-High

Hey, thanks for the advice. A flightmate of mine brought his Jepp bag in today and I took a look at it. He can't really fit much more in there than I can fit in my helmet bag. I think I'll just be using it instead. Besides it helps me pick up chicks.

Guest PilotKD
Originally posted by Bergman:

I bought a high dollar pubs bag for T-1s. It was nice then, but I used it even less at Altus, and haven't used it since then.

I don't know how the AD rolls, but every ANG -135 unit I've flown with has the pubs pre-positioned on the jet, so there is no need for a pubs bag. Now, a cooler on wheels I could see...but a pubs bag is a waste of money IMHO.