Marine helo Guy to USAF

Guest BigIron

Guest SuperStallionIP

I am a senior Captain selected to Major, on active duty in the USMC. I currently in my first year as an instructor pilot at the CH-53E Fleet Replacement Squadron (FRS) in NC. It is about that time in my career where I need to make a decision about whether to stay on active duty and push to retirement in the Marine Corps or start the interservice transition process for one of the above on the subject line. I have a buddy and fellow FRS IP that just went on terminal leave from the Marine Corps on June 2nd. He is getting ready to go to Vance in October for UPT. He started the process about a year and a half ago and is now part of the Wisconsin ANG where he will fly a KC-135. Since he is already a rated aviator he did not count against their UPT slots. They gave him the option of doing UPT or just going straight to the -135 FTU. They suggested he go to UPT just so he would get some extra active duty time and flight time. I am thinking about possibly going down this same road but would like some opinions from USAF bubbas. I am looking to check out all possible options in order to make the most educated choice. I appreciate your time.

BigIron

C'mon BigIron, swallow that blue pill, you know you wanna...

You are correct, Fixed Wing Qual (FWQ) does not count against UPT slots. There are something like 12 a year, and the Reserve Components get something like 10 of them. My unit's deadline for apps was just last week, so I have been involved with getting info on the subject.

Here's what I know (and think I know), and I'll tailor it to the crowd...

No age limit to go to FWQ.

There is an age limit to go from being a Warrant Officer (Army) to ANG/AFRC officer...35 waiverable to 40 by the time you start AMS.

Once hired, your records will go to an Aeronautical Review Board and they will grant you your Air Force Wings, and cut you Rotary Wing AO's until you get back from Vance.

One of three things can hapen to you once you get hired. You can go through part of Tweets/T-6's, all of T-1's and then your FTU, You can just do T-1's then FTU, or you can just go to your FTU. Your Guard unit can recommend any of these, but it is up to someone somewhere (NGB, maybe) who determines this, and this depends on your Fixed Wing time. Our first FWQ guy could have gone to T-1's only, since he was a T-34 trained jarhead, but before he found this out he was progged for Tweets, so he went with it. FWIW, Tweets are a pain in the ass, but they treat you well in the Tweet squadron at Vance...lots of former Marine Cobra guys and laid back reservists teaching you there.

<edit>

Hopefully Rotorhead can shed some more light on the subject.

Also, I haven't looked yet, but is there a FAQ on this in here somewhere? If not, there needs to be. We reinvent the wheel every year with these flingwingers.

[ 06. July 2005, 15:55: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

Guest SuperStallionIP

Thanks for the response. In the Marines, Navy, and Coast Guard everybody starts in fixed-wing then goes down whatever pipeline so I would assume I could go directly to T-1 also. I am not looking to fly any particular airframe at this time, just trying to see what the process is compared to an unrated bubba. Thanks again.

Originally posted by PAB:

One of three things can hapen to you once you get hired. You can go through part of Tweets/T-6's, all of T-1's and then your FTU, You can just do T-1's then FTU, or you can just go to your FTU. Your Guard unit can recommend any of these, but it is up to someone somewhere (NGB, maybe) who determines this, and this depends on your Fixed Wing time.

YGBSM! We just got a guy back from FWQ who had 3000+ fixed wing hours with the Army (C-12, G-III/IV) and our clowns had him do all of UPT. Guess they gave him the hook up, eh? HA! Is that in writing anywhere? I don't want to piss him off with a rumor, but I'm sure he'd be interested to read about it in a reg. The best part is he is just got back from Altus as a -135 COPILOT! A 3000 hour copilot. Again, YGBSM.

From the stories he's told me, FWQ isn't nearly as bad as UPT. No standups. You can proficiency advance through the syllabus. Plus you'll already be a Major with wings, so you shouldn't get too much grief from the IPs.

I'd say go for it, unless you have a compelling reason not to go to Vance AFB for a year.

[ 06. July 2005, 22:07: Message edited by: Bergman ]

That's my understanding from our one Fixed Wing guy I went to Vance with and what the guy at the NGB told me (LtCol Barker). My Marine bud could have gone TONEs only, but found out too late. Most did Tweets, and O Flight in the 8 FTS is a good place to be. You are completely separate from the kids, no formal release, checkrides done in-house, not over at Check Flight, it's big boy all the way.

Tones and -38's, you are mixed right in with everyone. No stand up shenanigans, but you fly with UPT studs, take checkrides with check flight and the lines get blurred, especially if the 22 yr old 2LT is flying better apprioaches than you are and spouting off the book knowledge better than you are. Unless you flat out don't care, you're gonna have to at least look like you know what you are doing.

Plus, it's all paydays and retirement points.

I wish I knew what reg this all was in. Patrick and I spoke about it, and he's gonna get some references for me (which we will share), since he's deep in the process right now.

[ 06. July 2005, 22:46: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

Guest SuperStallionIP

Outstanding responses. Again, thanks for the gouge. If you find out any other useful information scooby snacks, send 'em downrange. Your time is appreciated.

Guest Navy60B

The VP squadrons rarely talk to pilots from other communities and very rarely would want to find themselves speaking to a Helo pilot. Before I left active duty a few of my fellow ASW Helo buds talked to a reserve VP squadron about a slot because they were very low in pilots and we were willing to give them time for VT or frs if required. Despite our obvious ASW knowledge the VP squadron didn't even if give us an interview. Now, two of us are now flying comparable planes in the USAFR and much better off!

Guest SuperStallionIP

I think you might mean VR squadrons with C-9s instead of VP squadrons with P-3s. I would not have any desire to fly a P-3. I would do a Herc transition in the USMC long before that. No offense to the P-3 either. Just don't really care to. The Navy will slowly replace those C-9 aircraft with 737s over the next few years. We'll see I guess. Not much I can really do for a couple years anyway since I have a minimum commitment here at the 53 rag. Nonetheless, thanks for the suggestions fellas. Much appreciated.

Guest Stearmann4

Scooter/PAB,

Do you recall if interservice x-fers (Army) have to the whole AFQT/initial deal like the non-rated guys? I've asked this question a few times, but get conflicting answers each occurance? I was told a couple of times that the AF doesn't recognize Army wings. "Apples and oranges " was the exact quote.

Your records go to an ARB (Aeronautical Review Board) and they get you your Air Force wings. From what I heard (no reference, word of mouth) is that the ARB looks at your records then cuts you AF Rotary Wing Aeronautical Orders. To then fly AF fixed wing aircraft, you attend the course at Vance, but you are wearing AF wings the whole time you are there.

Guest BSE73

The way I understand it Scooter is correct. I am currently in the process (Army helo - awaiting AMS). As far as the ratings go it's covered in AF111-402(US AIR FORCE AERONAUTICAL RATINGS), paragraph 2.3 (Who is eligible). Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pavesooner

If you want to stay in the 53 and fly it in the Air Force on active duty....

Call the 20th SOS at Hurlburt

We have a few former Marines and several Former army guys

800 20 TH SOS

I am sure someone there can give you some good info

[ 23. July 2005, 18:55: Message edited by: pavesooner ]