Medical Hardware (Screws, wires, pins)

Guest jriggoMOANG

Guest Black Baron

Hey Guys,

I have my FC1/MFS coming up soon and I'm getting kind of nervous. I know that everyone says it's no big deal, but I started going through the med history stuff and I saw that they want you to list any hospital visits/surgeries, etc.

My question is, how serious is a broken hand with hardware? Outside part of hand, just above the wrist and just below the pinky finger with a titanum plate and screws. I have full flexibility, no pain, and no negative affects.

Is this waiverable?

3rd question, how in depth do they get at Brooks as far as trying to find things to DQ?

I have heard 2 schools of thought when going to Brooks.

1. As far as they know, you are Superman and you are in top physical health...let them complete the evaluation and discover things.

2. Tell them eveything up front and they will work with you.

Any thoughts...?

Guest goducks
Hey Guys,

I have my FC1/MFS coming up soon and I'm getting kind of nervous. I know that everyone says it's no big deal, but I started going through the med history stuff and I saw that they want you to list any hospital visits/surgeries, etc.

My question is, how serious is a broken hand with hardware? Outside part of hand, just above the wrist and just below the pinky finger with a titanum plate and screws. I have full flexibility, no pain, and no negative affects.

Is this waiverable?

3rd question, how in depth do they get at Brooks as far as trying to find things to DQ?

I have heard 2 schools of thought when going to Brooks.

1. As far as they know, you are Superman and you are in top physical health...let them complete the evaluation and discover things.

2. Tell them eveything up front and they will work with you.

Any thoughts...?

BB,

My recommendation as far as reporting goes is to honestly answer any question that is asked. Chances are pretty good that if you try and hide something of any significance it's going to be found anyway and then things get dicy. Would I suggest trying to recall every minor illness or fall you've taken in your life? No, but I think you get the idea. I've seen two cases where cadets tried to hide a prior surgery during their FCI. Both cases were easily detectable on physical exam and they were given a second chance to explain the findings, but again denied it. They finally fessed up after much discussion and further examination and were sent back to their detachments without a physical being accomplished. I believe one may have even been dismissed from his ROTC squadron. The irony is that both cases could have been waived if they would have been forthright from the beginning.

I wouldn't say that the docs at Brooks are looking to DQ anybody. They are simply trying to uphold the standards in a fair manner so that everyone is treated in an equitable fashion. Generally, the docs will do everything they can to give you a favorable chance at waiver. I think you will find them to be helpful more than you'd expect.

As far as your particular situation goes, based on what I'm reading in this thread you should be fine. I know ZIPPO about orthopedic stuff, but looking at what Rage :P and P27:17 are saying you should be waiverable. Trust them, they know what they're talking about. Also, I think the advice they give about having as much documentation as possible, including a letter from the treating doc outlining your healing, etc will likely be necessary. You don't want to be stuck at Brooks trying to track down documentation that you can get ahead of time.

Good luck.

GD

Guest Black Baron

Thanks Goducks.

That's kind of the way I've been leaning. I don't they'd see it at first glance, but I just keep getting this feeling that it'll pop up sometime in the future and cause all kinds of chaos in my career.

I already have all the documentation from the Doctor about the surgery and the final rating that he gave my hand.

My question is, should I goes as far as providing before and after x-rays?

BB

Guest goducks
Thanks Goducks.

That's kind of the way I've been leaning. I don't they'd see it at first glance, but I just keep getting this feeling that it'll pop up sometime in the future and cause all kinds of chaos in my career.

I already have all the documentation from the Doctor about the surgery and the final rating that he gave my hand.

My question is, should I goes as far as providing before and after x-rays?

BB

BB,

If it were me I'd bring whatever I could get my hands on, x-rays, chart notes, etc. Having them available might save you a trip to Wilford-Hall and save you from having to stick around San Antonio for an extra few days.

You bring up a good point, which I was going to allude to, but didn't. Your FCI is basically a baseline exam. Anything found in the future is going to be compared to what was found at the FCI. You don't want to have to worry about hiding something your whole career.

Good luck.

Cheers, GD.

I wouldn't say that the docs at Brooks are looking to DQ anybody. They are simply trying to uphold the standards in a fair manner so that everyone is treated in an equitable fashion. Generally, the docs will do everything they can to give you a favorable chance at waiver. I think you will find them to be helpful more than you'd expect.

GD,

I apologize for getting a little off topic here...

I'm not saying that anyone is maliciously reviewing people's waivers/physicals looking to give them a DQ with the big red stamp (and I certainly hope nobody does) - but in your experience, on an iFC-1, who is the most likely to be the biggest "hard-liner" when it comes to approving/DQing a waiver/physical? The flight docs at your local MTF, AETC, or Brooks?

Guest goducks
GD,

I apologize for getting a little off topic here...

I'm not saying that anyone is maliciously reviewing people's waivers/physicals looking to give them a DQ with the big red stamp (and I certainly hope nobody does) - but in your experience, on an iFC-1, who is the most likely to be the biggest "hard-liner" when it comes to approving/DQing a waiver/physical? The flight docs at your local MTF, AETC, or Brooks?

In regards to Flying Class I, i.e. UPT applicants....

Brooks cannot DQ anybody. They are there to provide high quality, unbiased, medical exams and present the information to AETC to make a decision. The docs at Brooks can (and do) make recommendations to AETC, however they are under no obligation to follow these recommendations. Having said that, Brooks is the medical consulting body for the AF so their recommendations are non-trivial, but AETC makes the decision.

AETC is the waiver authority for FCI.....PERIOD. That includes your local MTF. They may tell you one thing or another, but all they are doing is giving you their opinion. So the ONLY hard-liner is AETC.

GD

• 1 month later...
Guest Black Baron

BB,

If it were me I'd bring whatever I could get my hands on, x-rays, chart notes, etc. Having them available might save you a trip to Wilford-Hall and save you from having to stick around San Antonio for an extra few days.

You bring up a good point, which I was going to allude to, but didn't. Your FCI is basically a baseline exam. Anything found in the future is going to be compared to what was found at the FCI. You don't want to have to worry about hiding something your whole career.

Good luck.

Cheers, GD.

GD,

Thanks for the info. I just got back from Brooks and everything went well.

For everyone's piece of mind...unless you have a serious medical problem, there is nothing to worry about.

Here is how my flight physical went with the Flight Surgeon...

Me - "I broke my hand, had surgery, and I have a plate and screws."

Flight Doc - "Ok, can you make a fist?"

Me - Making a fist

Flight Doc - "Looks good, here's your class II medical, sign here____"

There was a guy there that had a broken back and he passed, so that should tell you something.

Crazy thing was another guy had a peanut allergy and he got recommended for a DQ. Go figure.

BB

Edited by Black Baron

• 1 year later...

To anyone with retained hardware who's been through the FC1 process (or docs):

I broke my left tibia over three years ago, got the surgery (IM rod and two screws), and am completely healed, mobile, full range of motion, etc. I have a FC1 coming up and I am wondering what, if anything, needs to be taken there by me documenting this. Personally, I have some bills etc but no reviews or xrays from my surgeon. Side note: as I understand the reg, as long as it is not subject to trauma and has full range/mobility it is good to go without a waiver.

My question is: to make this go as smoothly as possible, is it recommended that I go back to my surgeon, have anything performed like tests, xrays, any sort of recommendation letter, or other documents to take with me, or will Brooks check it all out on their own?

Thanks in advance, chuckster

I have retained hardware (titanium plate and screws) in my wrist, 4-5 yo injury, and completed my FC1, but not MFS at Brooks. Not sure if that's what you're talking about here. But as for your question, I went back to my old surgeon and got copies of all the x-rays, surgery notes, and notes from follow-up visits. I did not speak to my old surgeon or get a letter or anything like that.

Now, did this stuff help? I kind of doubt it. It seemed to me that they barely looked at it all, and ordered their own X-rays anyway. But if I were you I'd get all the records you can. It can't hurt and it can help, and it shouldn't be that hard, so why wouldn't you? A rec from the doc on an old surgery like that is IMO less useful.