(Breaking) Military Clauses in Leases

Guest EZ206PILOT

This law states that leases must have a military clause which can be ended at anytime with a thirty-day notice. Your agreement started March 22nd and now ends on April 20th which is 30-days. You will be responsible for the rent for this period.

They're right - I think you're SOL.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're right - I think you're SOL.

I concur, there's nothing they did wrong, just one of those things

An apartment for SOS?

2^...why an apartment? There are plenty of low cost hotels, or go unaccompanied. It's 2 months, less than a deployment.

FWIW the word from the commandant when I was there recently was the 5-week course started in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread revival.

The wife and I are in a little bit of a predicament regarding te apartment that we put down a deposit on at Maxwell for SOS that was supposed to start next week. For various reasons, I got pulled from the class for one later in the year (5 weeks maybe?). Since we are so late in the game in getting pulled, the corporate housing company is apparently going to be charging us for a month's worth of rent for a place that we never stepped foot in to. The verbiage that we got from them:

"AHI Corporate Housing is under Fair Housing regulations which we must abide as rental agency. We must also abide by the Landlord / Tenant laws concerning military individuals and families which is mandated by the US Government. This law states that leases must have a military clause which can be ended at anytime with a thirty-day notice. Your agreement started March 22nd and now ends on April 20th which is 30-days. You will be responsible for the rent for this period. The cleaning fee and pet fee will not be your responsibility as you will not be taken possession."

Anyone ever have something similar to this? I called JAG but the soonest that they could get me in is 2 Apr. I am in the process of re-reading the lease to get all the finer details that I probably blindly signed away.

I had a similar situation when my SOS class graduated early. The company in question was AF Corporate housing. My SOS Sq/Cc submitted an mfr kindly asking them to refund our last 5 days as our orders changed. Originally they agreed, then refused to give the refund claiming their supervisor never authorized it. I then politely informed them that my Sq/Cc intended to blacklist any corporate housing that didn't play ball. Refund was immediately processed.

• 1 month later...

Thread reboot here...

Has anyone attempted to break a vehicle lease using the SCRA? It seems as though there are provisions written into the act for breaking vehicle leases but I was wondering if anyone had some personal experience with the process...