Shin Splints

Guest mrharvester

Guest mrharvester

I've been told that I have shin splints, which are tiny stress fractures in your shins. I run almost everyday, and take ibuprofen when my legs are sore. It's not a problem on most days, but sometimes it can be painful after a hard workout. I have my FC1 in September. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?

Guest Bushmaster

Download this :

http://www.nlg.org/mltf/afi48-123.pdf

And check Attach. 7

I made a search "shin splints" on the document and it only came up here...

A8.5. Survival Training Instructor Duty-Selection and Retention..

A8.5.1. Selection. The causes for rejection are:

A8.5.1.8. History of recurrent shin splints.

Guest robes220

I am not certain, but I do not think they are actually stress fractures (when you have the old stress fractures it hurts just to walk). Rather, it is the muscle pulling away from the bone. Anyway I know that they are painful (ran 6 years of Cross Country through High School and College). I would suggest that you jump into a pool and do some laps or acua jogging. Another great way to help keep the workouts up is to do the dreaded bike workouts. Another great way to help the pain is to do ice massages. To do these, get a lot of little dixie cups and fill them with water, then freeze. After working out (any workout) pull one of them out of the freezer, peel away the paper from the cup to expose some ice and rub it over your shins. This will help the inflamation, and with time help you get over them. Also, STRECH YOUR CALVES!!! I cannot type that big enough. I am not a doctor, but this is what I have been told through the years of being an athlete and now a coach. I really hope that this helps you and good luck with the FC1!!

Guest mrharvester

Thanks very much for the quick input. I downloaded Medical Exams and Standards publication. I guess I can't be a survival training instructor. All it said in Attachment 7 is that one cause for rejection is any bone or joint, with deformity, instability, pain, rigidity, or limitation of motion, if function is impaired to such a degree it interferes with training, physically active lifestyle, or flying duties. It causes me only occaisional pain and does not interfere with a physically active lifestyle.

Also, thanks for the advice about the ice in the dixie cups, I need to try that. I've been icing my shins with a bag of frozen peas until now. Also, one thing that seems to help is taking flax seed oil on a regular basis. Flax seed oil is kind of like sunflower seed oil and can be taken by capsule or straight oil (in a protien shake for me). It prevents excessive buildup of lactic acid in the muscles, thereby reducing the sorness after a workout. The oil also has some other benefits. It seems to help me quite a bit. Thanks again.

Guest robes220

DO NOT SAY THAT!!! if you want it go after it. You never know. You have no bone or Joint injuries. You have a muscle problem, and that is all it is. DO NOT READ INTO QUESTIONS!!! if they ask if you have had any bone or joint soreness, do not!! your problem is muscles! Please do not give up your dream because one thing/person says no. THERE IS ALWAYS A WAIVER FOR THOSE WHO LOOK!

Guest mrharvester

The comment of me not being able to be a survival training instructor was in meant to be taken in jest. I actually have a friend who is a Navy pilot who was a survival instructor at Fairchild who said it was some of the worst duty he ever did. I am in no way giving up my dream of flying for the military!! Sorry to mislead you in my post. I agree with you, I have no bone injuries. Thanks for the support!!!

• 2 years later...
Guest Hydro130

ShortThrow,

I get them too, and I wish I had better advice, but I get them when I haven't been running for a while and then over-do it... Keep building up your tolerance slowly and doing the other precuations that you mentioned. For me, they go away as I get into my running routine / build tolerance.

But they do suck.

I'm also curious to see what the Flt Docs have to say since I too get them on occassion...

Cheers, Hydro

Guest comanche

My understanding is it is better to start running on a track or grass instead of pavement. Slowly work your way into running on the road. Only do a mile or so then walk the rest of it and slowly build up like Hydro said. I try not to run on the road anymore it sucks running in circles but it's nice not having pain.

Good luck

Guest ShortThrow
Originally posted by comanche:

My understanding is it is better to start running on a track or grass instead of pavement. Slowly work your way into running on the road. Only do a mile or so then walk the rest of it and slowly build up like Hydro said. I try not to run on the road anymore it sucks running in circles but it's nice not having pain.

Good luck

Yeah, the crappiest thing is, that I have been working slowly on building up distance and have always run on a track :(

I think I'm going to give my physical therapist a call tomorrow and see what he recommends. In the meanwhile, keep the advice coming.

Thanks guys

[ 16. April 2006, 22:25: Message edited by: ShortThrow ]

I just started getting shin splints about a month ago so I feel your pain. I've tried everything you mentioned as well but without success. There is only one way I can avoid them, and it has worked every time so far. I have to do two things. First, stretch your calves and more importantly your achilles tendon, like it's your job. And I mean stretch it good, none of this 30-40 second stuff, spend a good two minutes on it. It's the first thing I stretch and the last thing before I start running. Second, increase your speed sloooowwwwly. I use a treadmill so this is a little easier, but I start at about 5mph (after walking a couple minutes to warm up), and increase the speed by .5mph every two to three minutes, until I get up to my desired speed.

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by otsap:

I just started getting shin splints about a month ago so I feel your pain. I've tried everything you mentioned as well but without success. There is only one way I can avoid them, and it has worked every time so far. I have to do two things. First, stretch your calves and more importantly your achilles tendon, like it's your job. And I mean stretch it good, none of this 30-40 second stuff, spend a good two minutes on it. It's the first thing I stretch and the last thing before I start running. Second, increase your speed sloooowwwwly. I use a treadmill so this is a little easier, but I start at about 5mph (after walking a couple minutes to warm up), and increase the speed by .5mph every two to three minutes, until I get up to my desired speed.

Good point on the stretching thing -- I definitely second that!!!

Intense calf/achilles focus is key, just as otsap says. That most certainly helps, but takes patience to do well, so do take the time for good stretching.

I try to look at the pre- / post- stretches as a part of my workout (not just a pre-req), and that helps me do them more thoroughly...

Cheers, Hydro

Hey everyone, just to shed some light on the subject of shin splints... i am a biomechanics researcher and this is a common problem in sports medicine.

Firstly, shin splints as they are commonly known refers toany chronic pain in the front of the leg... but more accurately refers to stress fractures in the front of your tibia caused by repetetive loading from running, usually. These are tough (not impossible) to get and require high mileage running accumulate. For the average 2-3 mile a day runner these usually arent the issue.

Other problems mistaken for shin splints are usually cramps in the tibialis anterior (TA)which is the muscle in the front of ur leg that pulls your foot up. Since this muslce keeps your toes from dragging and works harder during running than anything else it can becoem engorged with blood and cramp up easily..this feels like shin splints.

A lot of athletes spend a long time on stretching their hamstrings and achilles and forget about the front of their legs, remember there are two motions in every direction, foot up/ foot down, leg up, leg back etc. So after stretching out that hammy stretch out your TA! Stength training your calves and TAs will help the problem.

THis link sums it all up.

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2Shinsplints.asp

~mix

Guest ShortThrow
Originally posted by trailmix:

Hey everyone, just to shed some light on the subject of shin splints... i am a biomechanics researcher and this is a common problem in sports medicine.

Firstly, shin splints as they are commonly known refers toany chronic pain in the front of the leg... but more accurately refers to stress fractures in the front of your tibia caused by repetetive loading from running, usually. These are tough (not impossible) to get and require high mileage running accumulate. For the average 2-3 mile a day runner these usually arent the issue.

Other problems mistaken for shin splints are usually cramps in the tibialis anterior (TA)which is the muscle in the front of ur leg that pulls your foot up. Since this muslce keeps your toes from dragging and works harder during running than anything else it can becoem engorged with blood and cramp up easily..this feels like shin splints.

A lot of athletes spend a long time on stretching their hamstrings and achilles and forget about the front of their legs, remember there are two motions in every direction, foot up/ foot down, leg up, leg back etc. So after stretching out that hammy stretch out your TA! Stength training your calves and TAs will help the problem.

THis link sums it all up.

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2Shinsplints.asp

~mix

Thanks, those were some great words. I figured they might be more of a cramp because I can run another ways after I wake a break without them hurting. Although, I have read something about a compartment of air or something being created under the TA because of it being pulled away from the bone. Can you shed some light on that? Is there anyway to tell if that's whats going on?

Bendy: I did try taking almost a full month off; it didn't seem to help anything. Is a month long enough?

Guest cbire880

I have almost the exact same issue with the .75 mile run/pain/rest/rinse/repeat cycle. I'm currently seeing a PT right now working on it(some residual strength issues from knee surgery too). One possiblility for me might be an exercise induced compartment syndrome which involves the fascia(tissue surrounding the muscle) not expanding enough during exercise as the muscle swells(STS). I'm hoping its just brought on by muscle imbalance, b/c the only real solution to a compartment syndrome is surgery to release the fascia.

Couple other things to check would be your shoes and running form. If you have somewhat flat feet, that could cause undue strain as well. If the pain goes away quickly, its probably not a stress fracture. Good luck with the recovery!

Although I'm sure you tried it already, shoes is what did it for me.

I use to get shin splints all the time and could not figure out what it was until someone suggested new shoes. I went out and bought a new pair of running shoes of a decent quality and I have never had a problem since.

Just a few months ago I was in California and forgot to bring my running shoes. Picked up a cheap pair from the Ross and nothing but shin splints the entire run.

Anyways, good luck with finding a solution! They are definitely a PITA when trying to run. ;)

Guest ShortThrow
Originally posted by cbire880:

I have almost the exact same issue with the .75 mile run/pain/rest/rinse/repeat cycle. I'm currently seeing a PT right now working on it(some residual strength issues from knee surgery too). One possiblility for me might be an exercise induced compartment syndrome which involves the fascia(tissue surrounding the muscle) not expanding enough during exercise as the muscle swells(STS). I'm hoping its just brought on by muscle imbalance, b/c the only real solution to a compartment syndrome is surgery to release the fascia.

Couple other things to check would be your shoes and running form. If you have somewhat flat feet, that could cause undue strain as well. If the pain goes away quickly, its probably not a stress fracture. Good luck with the recovery!

Thanks for the heads up. I did some research on that syndrome and the symptons fit me like a glove. With that, I went to an orthopedist and he confirmed it with some sort of pressure test, and recommended surgery that he said would most likely relieve me of this problem for ever. Now my predicament is, do I go through with the surgery and risk getting DQed from ROTC? Would this type of thing be a possible disqualifier? Should I even report my diagnosis? I know I should, but it makes me nervous. Any thoughts about 'Exertional Compartment Syndrome' Rage?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone

Guest aggiepilot

For those with the mussle cramps issue, try lengthing your stride or running more upright. I had this problem a few years back and that seemed to be the fix. Also check out Airwarriors and the USMC PT posts. Those guys run a lot.

Guest ShortThrow
Originally posted by cbire880:

Bet that pressure test sucked! I'm not looking forward to the possibility of sticking a probe in my muscle and running to check pressure building.

I met up with my PT guy today and he told me some researcher recently came out with a program for what you and I have. His studies found that it is caused by, for the most part, structural flaws in the hips that cause muscles in the hamstring to become inactive. He said he has treated 8 patients with compartment since he got the new program and all 8 have gotten rid of all symptoms withint 6 weeks. I can send you the little take home instruction sheets he gives me if you'd like.

Guest mcclesm

Surgery sounds a bit rash at this point. I'm an avid runner, and one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is your running form. A lot of people get shin splints (or shin pain) because they run on the balls of their feet, much like sprinters do. Unless you're doing a 100 yd dash, running should be much like walking, heel to toe. Running on the balls of your feet causes your calf muscles to build up way too much in relation to your shin muscles, which causes strain and, thus, shin pain. Stretching helps, as does running on soft surfaces.

Guest ShortThrow

Yeah I am hoping for no surgery, my therapist says this hip treatment is pretty effective so I'm hoping for the best.

And yes, that pressure test sucked hardcore

Guest flecth033

Rest, go to a real running store and have them check your gait. Buy some shoes that are made for your type of foot, learn how to properly tape for shin splints and ease back into running. Another answer would be to go get some custom made orthodics.

I must echo that shoes make the difference. Don't go to a foot locker, or ordinary shoe store. Find a shoe store that has real runners work for them and know what they are talking about. Strap on some of their shoes and they will let you run in them and help adjust your form. I had shin splints for a good year that caused me to stop running. I didn't understand it because I had ran track in high school with no problems and did really good for a few years after. After I bought a pair of shoes that looked good, I was dead to the wind.

Stretching your shins also helps. If you want to stretch your shins, sit in a chair and put your feet back under the seat as far as far as you can while keeping your heels on the ground, pause and go back more. This will help. Don't rush back to fast, and start out with pool running.

• 1 year later...
Guest ryan04

Question to anyone?

I did a forum search on "shin splints" and read some postings. Do my symptoms sound like shin splints?

During the middle of a run or the next day after I ran I get a shooting pain down the inside of my right leg. It starts just below the knee on the inside. Right were there is hard bone and shoots down the shin. Sometimes I can't even put weight on it. I will rest for a day and then it will be gone. I am active and workout all the time. Never ever had shin splints. I went to the orthopedic thinking I tore a ligament or had cartilage floating around, but the x-ray and MRI's showed nothing. The doc said my knee looks great. So since the structure of my knee joint looks good, I was thinking it might be shin splints? The doc didn't bring that up, he just said ease yourself back into the type of running I use to do. That makes sense, but I still would like to know where this pain comes from. There is never any swelling. I bought new running shoes but the other day and in the middle of my run I started to get that pain, so I walked the rest. Any advice, info, personal stories, greatly appreciated. Would they medically discharge you if you experienced shin splints during AMS or OTS? Just wondering because as I put packets together for officer slots (aviation, non-aviation) I always think about the PT and if that pain in my leg will return? I have 6 years in the Guard now and just reenlisted. I don't want anything crazy like shin splints screwing up my future plans (if it is shin splints).

It might be. I had pretty much the same thing happening to me for a couple months. Bought new shoes and that helped a tiny bit, but not much. What really helped me was that I found out I was putting the majority of the impact on my heel instead of the ball of my foot when running. Unless you're sprinting, yes you want to transfer heel to toe, but don't spend too much time on the heel. So, I started actively thinking about hitting my heel, but rolling to the ball of my foot during my stride AS FAST as I could. Basically, spend as little time as possible w/ weight on your heel. I'm not a trainer, nor would I even consider myself a runner...but I was told this by my wife (who runs 40-50 mi a week and multiple marathons) and by a trainer to try this. It made a complete difference and now when I do run, I don't have any pain at all. Give yourself a week off, and then ease back into it trying to roll to your toes as quick as possible...see if it helps.

I had a bad problem with shin splints a few years back. I noticed that it went away as soon as I started doing fairly heavy leg weight workouts such as squats, calf raises, deadlifts, etc. Before that time I was thinking I was getting enough of a leg workout by running alone. It seems that the majority of dudes shy away from legs and this could be part of the problem. If you're not already lifting, I'd suggest encorporating some leg routines into your workout and see if that helps.