U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

Huggy - think you can extend your 2nd retirement to 2020?

Actually, Shaft, it would be my third retirement sort of.

But really? You think I'm not up to the challenge?

Edited by Huggyu2

A year ago this jet was never going to fly again. Never say die.

8/30/2012 - ROBINS AIR FORCE BASE, Ga.

-- A new partnership is in the works at the new Air Force Life Cycle Management Center here.

The Command and Control, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance division, which manages the U2 Program, is exploring options for organic repair and partnering with the Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex to fully repair a damaged U-2 aircraft and bring it back into service.

The aircraft was transported by truck to Robins and arrived Aug. 24.

The plane incurred damage during scheduled maintenance in 2008 and soon after, returned to Air Force Plant 42 at Palmdale, Calif., where U-2 Flight Test and Periodic Depot Maintenance are routinely performed. The aircraft was later retired under PBD720 - Public Law stating that one U-2 would be retired in 2009.

Ultimately, the most cost-effective repair process will be selected, and the aircraft will be returned to Fully Mission Capable status.

It's possible the effort will be the start of long-term organic support for the U-2. The U-2 program was recently extended to 2025 and these extended operations warrant another look at the jet by aircraft battle damage repair experts at the complex.

About the Dragon Lady

The Lockheed U-2, nicknamed "Dragon Lady," is a single-engine, very high-altitude (70,000 feet) reconnaissance aircraft operated by the Air Force and previously flown by the Central Intelligence Agency.

It provides day and night all-weather intelligence gathering. The aircraft is also used for electronic sensor research and development, satellite calibration and satellite data validation. The U-2 is capable of simultaneously collecting signals, imagery intelligence and air samples. While flying at operational altitudes, the U-2 is invisible to the naked eye.

The U-2 has been the global eyes and ears of the U.S. for more than 50 years, and remains an essential and irreplaceable reconnaissance asset. That's due to its ability to direct flights to objectives at short notice, which satellites can't do.

The aircraft at Robins is a 1980s model, which consists of a more rigid airframe than its predecessor from 1968. It was the last jet of its kind off the assembly line.

120824-F-EL616-105.JPG

Edited by Spoo
  • Upvote 2

Very cool, Spoo. Thanks for posting.

1099 was the last U-2, and was delivered to the AF in Oct 89.

And I had the pleasure to fly it on 17 Jan 91... the first day of Desert Storm,... on what was my first "combat mission" in the AF.

• Upvote 1

How cool is that? As a former maintainer I hate to imagine what kind of damage could have been caused during scheduled maintenance that would have caused her early retirement...

I've only been lucky enough to have seen a handful of U-2's but someday when they are retired the world of military aviation will be a much less interesting place.

I still remember the fight over that aircraft back in the mid-80s timeframe. Those were the days of the TR-1, when we had the 95th Squadron (TR-1) in the UK and the 99th (U-2) at Beale. Each wing wanted its numbered aircraft for their own squadron (1095 for the 95th, 1099 for the 99th), but the contract documents called for 1095 to be a U-2, and 1099 to be a TR-2. Even though the only difference in the two was a slight difference in sensor wiring, no one could get the Air Staff and the contracting people to switch the number/type around, even though Lockheed said it was a zero cost effort as long as they knew prior to construction. Eventually, 1099 went to Alconbury and 1095 came to Beale. After the closure of Alconbury, they all came back to Beale (via the depot) and were all once again U-2s.

Any advice for a new T-6 FAIP hoping to get selected for U-2s? And when I should have a package put together/send it up to Beale?

Huggy, since you worked in the recruiting office, you can handle this one.

Without a nav, FE or wingman in the jet with you, who's to say you are any good?

Hmmm.... I really can't dispute that statement.

"supposed" ...i.e., I don't know who y'all are.

Recommend you call DSN 368-1110: when they answer, tell them "I need to speak to an expert about the U-2".

Take my word for it, Huggy's a totally adequate pilot.

Wow, Spoo. That's about the most complementary you've ever been about my flying,... or anything else I do.

Even if you are making me sound better than I am, I appreciate it.