Criminal History

Guest M1dt0wn3

Guest M1dt0wn3

Hey guys. I'm a senior in high school right now, and sometime last year(under 18) I had a run in with the police of underage drinking, I also have a couple of speeding tickets. Will this affect me later when I go to apply for a pilot slot? Or will it not matter because I was under 18? Thanks for all the help

Guest comanche

On the Security questionnaire it asks if you've ever been arrested, charged, etc. The underage thing doesn't matter, it says they can get all your records. Not sure how it will affect you though. I've read some people need waivers, not sure if you will or not, keep clean during college!

Guest comanche

Det002 everyone makes a mistake, doesn't mean they won't make a good officer. Like saying if you can't land a plane right away you shouldn't be a pilot, everyone can learn and grow. By the way your two cents aren't worth sh*t

Cheers

Guest M1dt0wn3

dude, just because I made one bad mistake does not mean I don't regret it and wouldn't take it back.

[ 22. February 2005, 17:37: Message edited by: M1dt0wn3 ]

Guest Bullmastiff
Originally posted by Det002cadet:

Forgive me if I sound harsh, but people who are irresponsible and have criminal histories don't belong in the military. My two cents.

What are you again? I would prefer someone who lived life, got in trouble a few times, suffered, and learned from the conaequences

When I was 20 I was arrested for disorderly conduct. I mouthed off to a cop at a college party. It wasn't a problem at all. However, I was 28 when I joined the AF so that may have helped. Show that you learned from it and don't get more speeding tickets (not that it would be a deal breaker but why draw attention to yourself). I also had a few speeding tickets but they were more than 10 years before I joined the AF. And for Det002cadet I also skipped class in college had some bad grades and never went to church. Actually I hope you were joking.

Anyway if you have any questions feel free to email me.

Guest flecth033

Det002cadet, Our Commander and Chief has a criminal record. I'm sure you hate working for someone with a record so why don't you go ahead and quit now.

[ 24. February 2005, 02:13: Message edited by: flyguy ]

I'm currently an AFROTC cadet and I informed my det that I also had a ticket for drinking underage. My PAS had to send my package to ROTC headquarters because drinking involvements cannot be waivered at the detachment level. I'm still waiting for headquarter's decision, but in the meantime I'm getting involved as much as I can and concentrating on making good grades. Just do your best and don't make the same mistake again, and you should be fine. Don't let one mistake hinder you from pursuing your dream.

Guest kylejustin

M1dt0wn3,

When I enlisted in the AF about 5 years ago, I had 3 civil involvements that I was lucky enough to get waivers for. They were for incidents when I was 14 and 15 years old. (petty theft, aiding/abetting assault, and posession of tobacco) It was a miracle I was able to even get into the AF, but I'd like to think they made the right choice.

Since my 1st day in basic training I wanted to be an AF officer, but knowing my criminal record I didn't think I had a chance. Luckily, I had a supervisor that encouraged me to go for it. I applied for a comissioning program after 4 years of being enlisted and was picked up for an ROTC scholarship, thats where I am now.

Don't let your mistakes in the past hold you back from striving for you dream man. Learn from them and use them to keep you driven in the right direction. You have nothing to lose, so if it's what you really want, give it all you got. There were a lot of people who told me I wouldn't get picked-up because of my background, but if I would have listened to them, where would I be?

My point in all this is, just because you made a few mistakes when you were a kid does't mean you arn't valuable and wont significantly contribute to the AF mission. I know I certainly have and will continue to for many years to come.

Good luck man!

Det002...arent you late for math?

I have a background...nothing too major, just dumb college stuff. I actually think that it is not a negative, so long as you truly are sorry for what you did (i was) and dont repeat the mistake. Be honest on your security questionaire, and It will never be an issue. Good luck dude.

Forgive me if I sound harsh, but people who are irresponsible and have criminal histories don't belong in the military. My two cents
Det002cadet,

I was arrested and charged with burglary as a sophomore in college. I can assure you that the 56 Marines I pulled out of Baghdad last night are thankful the AF leadership isn't as shortsighted and you are. Everyone makes mistakes and bad choices now and again. If it isn't gross or habitual then why burn someone's career before it has a chance to develop?

Guest jmac2222

17 year olds do stupid things. As long as it wasnt a violent crime I wouldnt worry about it.

I joined the USMC out of high school. Everyguy I met in there had a criminal record and they were the best, most honorable men I've ever served with. I knew that when the sh*t hit the fan they had my back...anywhere, anytime. Just because you get drunk and have a good time doesnt mean you dont love your country!

If the AF won't take you then join the USMC b/c they will. If you have the motivation, desire and patroitism to achieve great things THEN YOU WILL. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

We have all done stupid things, but

most of us are smart/lucky enough to keep from getting caught!

From talking to my recruiter, the competition is so tough right now that you would be lucky to get a moral waiver to be enlisted...good luck getting one to be an officer. If there was a massive shortage that would be one thing, but there are enough people on this board alone to fill every slot.

http://www.dynamictruth.com/cgi-bin/ultima...ic;f=5;t=000086

Good luck with it.

[ 25. February 2005, 12:42: Message edited by: halo ]