Effects of a DUI / DWI

Guest Jason4638

My guess is you have about a 0.1% chance of getting in. You were drinking under age AND driving drunk. Dude, you have so much against you it's ridiculous. Maybe 4 years ago you could've gotten in, but right now, you pick your nose wrong and you're out/not getting in. Unfortunately a good friend got a DUI back in Dec. He has absolutely no other citations and was just a hair over the limit. He got it dropped to a DWAI. He was DG at FT, probably in the top few of the class, was in his last semester with a pilot slot, liked A LOT by cadre (Col wrote him a very good recommendation, talked to HQ personally, etc)...HQ booted him a few weeks ago. If he can't get past a DUI, you have no chance. The AF has already spent all this time and money on him, yet still threw him out. Why would they even want to spend a dime/second on you who has already shown disregard for law and common sense (even if it was at 15)? Guess everything is worth pursuing, and if you do get in, awesome...but just don't count on it.

Guest MileHigh

Will they look into the details of the incident such as the police report or will they just look into the fact that it was a DUI period?

A DUI is a DUI, don't count on them looking into it. I think brabus was a bit harsh about it, but I think he's mostly right. One thing to remember though, if you don't apply, you have a 100% chance of not being selected, all they can do is say no.

ne thing to remember though, if you don't apply, you have a 100% chance of not being selected, all they can do is say no.
Very true. Yeah I was probably harsh about it, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it for ya. I'm just telling you exactly how it is. Nonetheless, just apply, realize you WILL have to tell them about this, and just see what happens. If you really did learn your lesson and it was just truely a stupid 15 yr old move, then by all means, I hope it works out for you. There's no sense in not trying.

Guest KoolKat

Bra...It sure seems like you know a shit load of cadets that have gotten kicked out of ROTC. Not questioning, just an observation.

Originally posted by MileHigh:

Will they look into the details of the incident such as the police report or will they just look into the fact that it was a DUI period?

The won't ask you for the police report. Believe it or not, there is a dedicated AF form for you to fill out your own police report. Then you'll give that to them. Then they'll give it back to you and say it isn't detailed enough. You'll add a few details and turn it back in. THEN they'll go get the police report themselves and compare the two.

Then they'll make a completely subjective judgement on wether your a liar or not.

That form IS used when your already enrolled; I can't say they will use it if your applying. Later on for your S and TS, they'll look into it until their satisfied...you have no say.

I can't say anything more about it then I posted to you before.

Good Luck Dude...Hide the keys before you endulge in any more underage drinking will ya. And considering you were 15 last time, hide everyone else's keys as well!

BENDY

Bra...It sure seems like you know a shit load of cadets that have gotten kicked out of ROTC.
I appreciate the shortening to Bra... Well when you're in a relatively large Det, you're bound to know a few people who get booted for various reasons over a 4 year period. Shit happens.

Guest MileHigh

I was also found with possesion of alcohol in the car, but I recieved diversion for this charge. According to what I read, they are not able to hold charges that were diverted against you. If they see the police report, it includes this in it. How will they hold that against me?

Guest KoolKat

MileHigh,

You may have a mole on your ass, I don't know...Neither do they.

If they asl you if you have a mole on your ass, answer the question, if they don't the keep your mole to yourself.

True...it's harder to get a pilot slot now than it was a few years ago...but you noobs that quesiton every little thing about yourselves is ridiculuous.

Dude...you had DUI! The booze in the car (if that's even a crime) isn't an issue. It all get's waived, or nothing gets waived.

BENDY

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by MileHigh:

I was also found with possesion of alcohol in the car, but I recieved diversion for this charge. According to what I read, they are not able to hold charges that were diverted against you. If they see the police report, it includes this in it. How will they hold that against me?

MileHigh,

Let me try to make this perfectly clear, so there is no confusion on trying to cover something up...

You can have offenses expunged/diverted/pardoned/etc... Those actions will then "hide" those offenses for the purposes of civilian jobs, school applications, loans, etc.

Those actions DO NOT hide info from the States or the Feds if your are looking for a government job or need a security clearance. You are REQUIRED to disclose all info related to those offenses if you are looking to work for Uncle Sam -- any laywer will verify this. Getting your record expunged/diverted/etc does NOT protect you from divulging that info when related to US Govt work...

Cheers, Hydro

Guest KoolKat

Actually, when I went for my Secret clearance interview, the first thing he said to me after the small talk was, "Look, we have a problem here."

OH SHIT! :eek: ALREADY?

Turns out, he didn't have a record of something that I had reported (Cirminal Mischief-dropped after probation) and found something I hadn't reported (trespassing-happened after I filed the forms.)

He was completely baffled by this.

I was asked 900,000 times why I didn't report the trespassing. I kept saying it happened after I filled out the forms, and he kept pointing to the date that was on his print out.

I had to finally tell the guy, "Look, I don't want to be rude, but if you can't understand that that date is the date that you printed that paperwork out, I just don't know what I could possibly say to you that you'll be able to understand."

Although this is a funny anctedote, don't be lead astray...Hydro speaks the truth.

Although the investigator for my Secret was not bright enough to find it...the girl that did my TS knew all about it. I mean ALL about it. Wanted to talk about it for a little while too! (amoung a number of other things)

Like I told you before, it's a package deal. You HAVE to tell them about the DUI, there is no reason not to tell them about the little tinie tiny minor offense that went with it.

Just 'fess it up yo. Might not even be a big deal. I, personally, know a guy in ROTC that got a commission after showing up his senior year with a DUI ticket. Depends on who you have pullin' for you.

BENDY

EDIT: and I don't know...I thought the 'mole on the ass' analogy was cosmic. :D

[ 30. March 2006, 16:29: Message edited by: Bender ]