GPA questions

Guest Aviationbuff

I know that the +'s -'s cadets get on their grades do not matter, but what about the GPA hours associated with the courses a Cadet takes. For example, the AS100/200 courses are only 1CR each, so does ROTC count them as less than other full courses when calculating your total GPA for that term?

Thanks

-Wes

I know that the +'s -'s cadets get on their grades do not matter, but what about the GPA hours associated with the courses a Cadet takes. For example, the AS100/200 courses are only 1CR each, so does ROTC count them as less than other full courses when calculating your total GPA for that term?

Thanks

-Wes

If you get an "A" in a 1 Credit hour course and then 4 "B's" in 3 Credit hour courses, your GPA will be calculated based on the 4.0 scale. This example would work out to 3 pts per B and 4 pts for the A multiplied by the number of hours.

4 courses X 3 hours X 3.0 (B) = 36.0 pts

1 course X 1 hour X 4.0 (A) = 4 pts

36+4=40/13 (number of hours) = 3.0769 GPA for the semester

Hope this helps!

PS When you get into the 300/400 level courses...those are 3 credit hours each and of course Lead Lab only counts as Pass/Fail (or at least it did 12 years ago).

cheers,

Sparky

• 5 months later...

Here is word for word what is on Page 5 of the AF AETC Form 56 (I got it from Air Force Official website as well as downloaded Puredge viewer, I will pm Baseops.net to see about uploading the pages directly to this post.

"INSTRUCTIONS: Use the quality-point system
(A+, A, A- =4, B+, B, B- =3, C+, C, C-=2, D+, D, D- =1, and F=0)
. Using AR 36-2305, Educational Classification and Coding Procedures, convert quarter hours to semester hours (one quarter hour equals two thirds of one semester hour). Include credit hours and quality points for all courses taken where a grade was received. For incompletes, use an F as the grade awarded. If courses were retaken, figure both into the average.
Do not include credit hours or quality points for withdrawals, courses that were audited, or pass-fail
. List each college or university separately. (You must list all/colleges and universities you have attended in Column (a).) Total Columns (b) and ©, then, divide the total of (b) by the total of © to determine the cumulative GPA. For AFRS applicants only: For graduate and above course work or degrees, list name of institution, type of program (i.e., MS, MBA, PhD...) and cumulative institution GPA on page 7, Continuation Sheet."

(a) Name of College

(b) Total Quality Points

© Total Credit Hours

As well here is an attachment I have received directly form the education office at Macdill AFB

Greetings,

I have attached a GPA work sheet. Please get with your AF Officer Recruiter or AFROTC Unit for further information in completing your AF Form 56.

V/r

*Name Removed

I hope this has helped out with people whose heads are spinning.. it appears to dispel some things here, (one being my primary worry) that once your degree has been earned the AF no longer will count any other classes taken.

Hope my files help some people out.

GPA_Worksheet_6_Nov_06.xls

• 1 month later...
Guest F16crewdwgg

I have transcripts from 4 colleges because of being stationed at different locations in the military. When I collect them for ROTC's OM, do the transcripts goto the DET and they calc the GPA then put that on some form for the pilot package? Or do all the transcripts get sent out with the package. Reason I ask is because I have a few W's and one D. I'd rather that not be seen. Just wondering.. Thanks guys.

Guest RenegadeCK
I have transcripts from 4 colleges because of being stationed at different locations in the military. When I collect them for ROTC's OM, do the transcripts goto the DET and they calc the GPA then put that on some form for the pilot package? Or do all the transcripts get sent out with the package. Reason I ask is because I have a few W's and one D. I'd rather that not be seen. Just wondering.. Thanks guys.

Yeah all it's all grades from all courses. W's won't affect you, but you can offset, not replace the D by re-taking the course if you choose.

Guest F16crewdwgg

Hmm well just incase someone at the DET can't add.. How do you calc your gpa from 4 different schools?

Guest Grey
Hmm well just incase someone at the DET can't add.. How do you calc your gpa from 4 different schools?

Well... The easiest way would be if you knew your GPA and the # of credit hours for each transcript which I would be schocked if it didn't have it.

So...

Total GPA = (GPA1*CreditHours1 + GPA2*CreditHours2 + GPA3*CreditHours3 + GPA4*CreditHours4) divided by (CreditHours 1 + 2+ 3 + 4)

I hope that makes some sense. If not, it gets a little more tedious.

• 1 month later...

This GPA stuff is way too confusing. I transferred schools and ROTC calculated my GPA lower than what I had at my previous school using the + and - system. My new school doesn't calculate GPA with my old school grades and as far as I know ROTC just puts into the wings system the GPA off the transcript from my current school. Should I calculate my GPA on my own from both schools and give it to ROTC on the transcript I give them? (I go to a crosstown school so I have to give them my transcript) Or should I just give them whatever my current school transcript says and let them figure it out? My GPA may be higher with both schools calculated depending on if my Det. is using the + or - system or not. But they seem to be just taking whatever it says on my latest transcript.

I ask because I want to get the best GPA possible and make sure ROTC gives it to me, but I don't want to meddle with my grades too much and cause any problems. Anyone experience any kind of a similar situation?

Anyone think it's possible their Det. is doing something wrong that could hurt their competition for a rated slot?

• 7 months later...
Guest jaybird85

I have a couple questions related to Guest_slashVF_*'s:

I have completed 3 years of a Music Degree, but my cumulative GPA is only 2.85. I'm going enlisted AD this summer for the experience, but want to commission after a couple years. From what I've read about enlisted commissioning programs, most of them require you to still need 2 years study to complete your Bachelors.

Would it do me any good to apply for an enlisted commissioning program, to work on a different degree? Or will they see that I am almost finished with Music, and disqualify me from going to ROTC? I understand I am not going to be able to "hide" any of my past college grades from a board, however changing my degree would buy me 2 more years to work hard and apply myself; thus improving my cumulative GPA significantly. And it would give me the required 2 years of study for the enlisted commissioning program.

Or am I better off trying to complete the Music Degree while on AD, even though I most likely will not be able to pull my GPA up beyond 3.0? I am interested in potentially pursuing a pilot slot, and understand the better everything looks, the greater the chances of getting one are. Ideally I would love to have an excellent enlisted work history, along with an exceptional stay in ROTC and a decent GPA, to put together as competitive a packet I can. I am also already 23, so time won't be on my side for too long.

I have a couple questions related to Guest_slashVF_*'s:

I have completed 3 years of a Music Degree, but my cumulative GPA is only 2.85. I'm going enlisted AD this summer for the experience, but want to commission after a couple years. From what I've read about enlisted commissioning programs, most of them require you to still need 2 years study to complete your Bachelors.

Would it do me any good to apply for an enlisted commissioning program, to work on a different degree? Or will they see that I am almost finished with Music, and disqualify me from going to ROTC? I understand I am not going to be able to "hide" any of my past college grades from a board, however changing my degree would buy me 2 more years to work hard and apply myself; thus improving my cumulative GPA significantly. And it would give me the required 2 years of study for the enlisted commissioning program.

Or am I better off trying to complete the Music Degree while on AD, even though I most likely will not be able to pull my GPA up beyond 3.0? I am interested in potentially pursuing a pilot slot, and understand the better everything looks, the greater the chances of getting one are. Ideally I would love to have an excellent enlisted work history, along with an exceptional stay in ROTC and a decent GPA, to put together as competitive a packet I can. I am also already 23, so time won't be on my side for too long.

You would have to apply for a waiver to do the 2 year ROTC program and you could stretch out your coursework to make it take the full 2 years by adding a minor or taking graduate classes. That would probably be your best bet. Why are you talking about enlisting if your goal is to commission and your almost done with school anyways? If you get your GPA above a 3.0 you would have a decent chance at picking up a Pilot slot through ROTC. You have to provide your Transcripts from all colleges/coursework you have done though so switching majors is not going to give you a fresh start so to speak.

Guest jaybird85
You would have to apply for a waiver to do the 2 year ROTC program and you could stretch out your coursework to make it take the full 2 years by adding a minor or taking graduate classes. That would probably be your best bet. Why are you talking about enlisting if your goal is to commission and your almost done with school anyways? If you get your GPA above a 3.0 you would have a decent chance at picking up a Pilot slot through ROTC. You have to provide your Transcripts from all colleges/coursework you have done though so switching majors is not going to give you a fresh start so to speak.

Thanks dirkdigler9. The reason I'm enlisting is because I do want to have active duty work experience. That, and I am completely sick of taking music classes. And I haven't mentioned how expensive my school is. I need room to breathe and going AD will give me that. I wouldn't mind finishing the Music Degree one or two classes at a time (assuming I can find another school where I'm stationed that accepts most of my completed units) just to have the degree and be able to apply to OTS, but my GPA is still going to be low. And again, whatever gives me a better shot at a pilot slot.

I guess it would be a matter of two different paths, and which one would give me a better chance:

1. Completing a Music Degree while active duty, and then applying to OTS (and for a flight slot) with an approximate 3.0 GPA

-or-

2. Somehow getting into an ROTC program (with a waiver like you said), which would get me a guaranteed commission, and better possibility of a pilot slot, as well as more time to improve my GPA- if I can do all that in 5 years :D

Off topic a little but figured I would ask it. I am an AS100 Cadet and I took College Forensics during High School and ended up getting a C in the class along with a 2.0 for that grade on my transcript. Now, my first semester of college I made a 3.75 Term GPA but that C brought my cumulative GPA down to a 3.31. I went to the necessary people to see about getting it off my transcript and they are allowing me to take a Intro to College Forensics course this semester and they said it will replace the grade and GPA from the course on my Transcripts.

My quesetion for all of you is will the Air Force calculate this even though it will be replaced by the school on my transcipt? I'm not sure how this work..any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Kraig

Off topic a little but figured I would ask it. I am an AS100 Cadet and I took College Forensics during High School and ended up getting a C in the class along with a 2.0 for that grade on my transcript. Now, my first semester of college I made a 3.75 Term GPA but that C brought my cumulative GPA down to a 3.31. I went to the necessary people to see about getting it off my transcript and they are allowing me to take a Intro to College Forensics course this semester and they said it will replace the grade and GPA from the course on my Transcripts.

My quesetion for all of you is will the Air Force calculate this even though it will be replaced by the school on my transcipt? I'm not sure how this work..any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Kraig

Unfortunately Kraig, this was just changed in 2007 so that the Air Force now calculates your cumulative GPA using everything you've recieved a grade for. This includes if you retake a class or if you "red-line" a course (some schools allow students to remove classes from their transcript under certain situations such as when you change your major).

There is somewhat of a loophole that if you take a class not at your full-time school, you don't always have to report it (unless your school has some specific rule about that). For example, if you take Underwater Basket-Weaving 101 this summer at your local community college and recieve a D, you don't have to send that transcript to your current school and it won't be added into your GPA (school or ROTC). It's probably too late, but you might be able to "un-submit" your class that you took in high school so that it's not on your college transcript.

To answer your question, you probably shouldn't retake the course unless it won't mess with your schedule and you are certain you can get and A*. The bottom line--talk with your cadre. They are there to help you and should know all the rules best (and if they really want to help you, they'll tell you how to beat the system).

*Getting a B or lower in the class will lower your overall GPA. If your school uses a +/- system, an A- is usually between 3.7-3.8. You need at least a 3.76 to actually improve your cumulative GPA by retaking the course (as far as ROTC is concerned).

Guest F16crewdwgg
Unfortunately Kraig, this was just changed in 2007 so that the Air Force now calculates your cumulative GPA using everything you've recieved a grade for. This includes if you retake a class or if you "red-line" a course (some schools allow students to remove classes from their transcript under certain situations such as when you change your major).

There is somewhat of a loophole that if you take a class not at your full-time school, you don't always have to report it (unless your school has some specific rule about that). For example, if you take Underwater Basket-Weaving 101 this summer at your local community college and recieve a D, you don't have to send that transcript to your current school and it won't be added into your GPA (school or ROTC). It's probably too late, but you might be able to "un-submit" your class that you took in high school so that it's not on your college transcript.

To answer your question, you probably shouldn't retake the course unless it won't mess with your schedule and you are certain you can get and A*. The bottom line--talk with your cadre. They are there to help you and should know all the rules best (and if they really want to help you, they'll tell you how to beat the system).

*Getting a B or lower in the class will lower your overall GPA. If your school uses a +/- system, an A- is usually between 3.7-3.8. You need at least a 3.76 to actually improve your cumulative GPA by retaking the course (as far as ROTC is concerned).

So are you saying.. We can get away with sending our latest transcript from our latest school? Since the school has the classes that transferred in and not ones that were not needed.. Or do we have to send them all transcripts.

Guest ChangB
So are you saying.. We can get away with sending our latest transcript from our latest school? Since the school has the classes that transferred in and not ones that were not needed.. Or do we have to send them all transcripts.

I'm just a cadet, so take everything I say with a grain of salt--always ask your cadre, they should know best.

I believe your question has more to do with two slightly different issues:

1. Are you currently in ROTC or will you join when you get to the new school?
  2. What does your new school require in the way of a transcript?

Response to 1 - If you are already in ROTC, your grades will probably follow you regardless of what you transfer to your new school.

Response to 2 - I suspect that your new school will make you submit a full transcript for all previous college classes taken which would then be added to your new transcript (which ROTC will be looking at). If you can choose to only transfer certain classes, more power to you. In that case, your school GPA should be higher even if ROTC will count all of your classes.

As for my previous post, the loophole I was referring to deals with not submitting transcripts which contain useless (in terms of graduation) classes (i.e., if you take Eleventh Century Korean Dance 101 at a different school during the summer and fail it, you probably don't have to report that you took the class if you're a Civil Engineering major).

• 1 year later...

Quick question about GPA.

I attended a university in my home state for 1 year before transferring to my preferred school and graduating. My question is:

When I submit my package, do they only count the GPA of the school I graduated from, or do they combine that GPA with the scores from my previous university as well?

Thanks in advance.

From what I remember, it should be 2 full semesters of classes (about 16 hours each I think). I don't remember what I took back then since it was 8 years ago at a different college, but yeah...

The board will use your graduating school's GPA, but can review any previously-earned credits on transcripts from other schools.

For example, I got college credits for a couple of courses in high school, went to a regular college and dropped out (with a fantastic GPA of maybe 1.8), transferred to another college with the goal of actually studying this time, took some credits on the side at community college, and the only GPA that mattered was from the college I actually graduated from (which was much better).

Also, the AF56 (the long form that has the educational certification blocks) will contain all credits earned with their respective GPA and the calculation the form uses to come up with the GPA displayed isn't quite accurate, but you shouldn't worry about that. Sometimes schools with odd credit counting gets screwed up - one applicant we had graduated with a 3.3 but their AF56 calculated they got a 1.56. It's a known bug.