FC1 Physical Information

Guest Ragansundowner

Is it possible to schedule the FC1 yourself?

I was selected pilot this recent USAF AD Board... dont ask about my recruiter, lol.

As unlikely as it is, I was wondering about this as well.

I was given a 5 MAR date for my FC1. I was sworn into my unit in September. +/- 7 months to get the CHANCE to get medically qualified?? Apparently the NYNGB is saying that only a certain number of candidates per "group" can have had LASIK/PRK. And apparently, MFS has completely met their quota for RS candidates until March. I (respectfully) call shenanigans! Isn't there someone I can call to verify this "policy?"

Anyone else had this kind of delay?

• 3 weeks later...

So for you guys meeting the Nov board (or any upcoming board), is it a requirement to have both your MFS and FC1 or just your FC1 to meet the board? Reason I ask is because I am sitting on a FC1 that I had done at Hill AFB (w/ AETC stamped approved waiver for PRK) but I have not done the MFS at Wright-Patt. Any body have a link or something to the official guidance on what is required to meet the board (medically speaking) now?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has the FC1 physical results time frame gotten any faster now that it is at Wright-Patt? Does it take the same amount of time to get results for Reserve's as the other branches?

It took 17 days to hear back that everythings been approved. (Recently went through.)

To reiterate some advice:

If you are Guard/Reserve rent a car or coordinate with others. WP is a huge base which is subdivided. It's about a 10 minute drive from billiting to the exam site. Also, having a car will allow you the freedom to get out. Definitley checkout the US Air Force Museum, the Presidential/Experimental Museum, and the Wright Brothers Airfield (Huffman Prairie). For good eats/drinks there's a snazzy outdoor mall type thing...on Greene Blvd.

If you can, get there a day early to see the above and get orientated with the area. (The front desk will give you an outdated map to the testing site and if left till the last moment you'll be driving cirlces getting all antsy in the pantsy.) Your FC-1 will be administered in the USAFSAM Building 20840 Area B. If you're not given any other instruction I would show up at the test site on day one of your exams at 0700. Bring DVD's to watch with the rest of the folks because there will be a bit of waiting around.

Once there try not to stress yourself out. As far as the FC-1 goes...it is what it is. Some guys struggled getting the zzzzz's because of anxiety. Things you can do in advacne are: get down to weight, take care of cavitiies, etc. If you are worried about something see you eye doc or family practice doc to put your mind at ease.

As stated before, everyone at Wright Pratt is very helpful and want you to succeed. If you are having issues they will do their absolute best to help get you squared away.

Just for a time reference....I was at WP for MFS the week of Feb 22-23......I had a PRK waiver along with a slight lattis (sp?) waiver.......just got word that my physical is approved and in the system...so roughly 1.5 months from MFS to approved FC1 for me....

Edited by MattS

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, new to the forum.

I'm currently AD and am wondering how the FC1 waiver process goes for PRK recipients. I would like to submit for the next AD UPT selection board but need PRK. Is there a specific time after PRK you can apply for the FC1? I've read that you can only do it 12 months after the date of the surgery (dated info), but I've also that you can apply 3 months post PRK for the FC1 on a waiver. What is the case? Can you go ahead with the FC1 do everything but the eye portion until the PRK heals? Thats also another question?

My Sq/CC basically wants to know these as well as it is basically the go/no-go decision to get the commander approval for myself.

FYI, being an AD rated flyer is EXTREMELY difficult to get prk/lasik correction done because if your unit is anyway in the fight, you'll never have time because of the high ops tempo. I've seen that stated before on the forum and it is definitely true. I've got a bit of pull as I have just over 6 months before I PCS.

Cheers all and fly safe!

--Sam

All components of a flight physical are all done at the same time, or as close together as possible. You will either get the FC1 clearance (with or without a waiver) or you won’t and will have to re-apply at a later time.

AFI 48-123 para. 6.44.6.8.12. History of any ocular surgery to include lasers of any type. See aircrew waiver guide.

Look at AFI 48-123 para. 6.44.7. ant Table 6.1. (linked in my signature under Medical Standards) for the standards for final post-correction minimums.

See my signature for the link to the waiver guide and read the entry on Refractive Surgery. Most cases I have seen are usually only waived a year after surgery. Be sure to read the explanations and examples on limits of pre-surgery myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism to see if you qualify FIRST. These are also the common standards for Non-mil ophthalmologists when determining if they will perform surgery either.

As AD, you will need to start meeting with Optometry now to request the surgery. Wait lists can be lengthy. You likely won’t get pushed to the front of the line for being an FC1 candidate. I imagine your wait may be 6 months.

I have never seen a 3 month post surgery waiver. The entire process is fairly complicated, especially without your specific medical information (WHICH I DON’T WANT, NEVER SEND YOUR MEDICAL INFO). You really just need to read the waiver guide and see your specific situation.

Overall, if you are approved for the surgery, and wait the year post surgery for waiver submission, and get the waiver, you’re looking at 18+ months.

If you are an AD Aviator, you can be waived to resume flying duties in as little as 3-4 months. However, if you want to apply for UPT, you MUST wait 12 months for your FCI physical. You will not be seen earlier than 1 year after your surgery date.

Why do you "need" PRK? Do you fall outside the waiverable refractive error limits for FCI?

Hey thanks for the info, ddebate and BLR. I'm a priority 1 canidate for the surgery if I can get my sq/cc to approve it (yay being aircrew) so the wait isn't as long as you stated. At my base there was a dentist who got it done within 2 months from the moment the med sq/cc gave him the go ahead and he's a priority 3 category. I'm stationed overseas USAFE.

I do fall out of the waiverable limits for FC1. -6.00 and -5.50 diopters unless I misinterpreted the wavier guide :( I've read some random forums across the other aviation networks and have seen members say they got a waiver post refractive surgery at 3-months to apply for the FC1 (not certain if they were just referring to returning to flying status though :-/ ). All these guys were active duty. I actually spoke with a buddy of mine who got picked up in the 2012 AD UPT selection who didnt complete his FC1 at the time he submitted his package, but he got his sq/cc to memo the reason behind it and had it completed prior to the board meeting.

But in the end I'm thinking based on what most people experience I'd have to wait 1 year post prk to even be considered or am I wrong?

DDbate: I found the memo http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/groups/public/documents/afms/ctb_089044.pdf albeit VERY old, that stated specifically, page 6 5.1 JSUPT applicants may apply for FC1 PRK waiver as soon as 3 months post-PRK... (note this is an exception to the 12 month post-prk requirement). Has anyone been able to find an updated memo similar to this one?

Thanks!

DDbate: I found the memo http://airforcemedic.../ctb_089044.pdf albeit VERY old...

See the new policy letter here. This is the most current and is specifically mentioned by the most recent Waiver Guide entry dated Mar 2011 and it states that it supersedes all previous. Applicants (non-trained) MUST be at least 12 months post-surgery for waiver. It refers trained personnel to the waiver guide for timeline, which is:
7. Minimum DNIF of 1 month is required following LASIK. Initial waiver can be requested once applicable vision standards are met and refractive stability is established.

8. No minimum DNIF period is established following PRK, however, 2-3 months is generally required for enough corneal healing to occur to meet applicable vision standards and for refractive stability to occur.

Edited by deaddebate

DDebate thanks. I made some phone calls to Andrews and the USAFA RS centers for some answers and got it clarified that typically trained AASD personnel return to flying status after 6 weeks. I guess the healing time is pretty consistent then for most patients.

I'm gonna try USAFA one more time and see specifically about the FC1 application.

• 2 months later...

I just did a quick look and have not seen much information on this. I am currently deployed (in a location with extremely slow/spotty internet and no flight doc) as a nav. I am applying for the UPT board in January 2013. Will I need to complete a new FC1 for a pilot? I currently have an FC1A, but completed an FC1 in 2008 with an annual flight physical (FC1A) every year since. I have been trying to get this figured out without any luck. I understand the 4 year time frame, but with the annuals, I wasn't sure if it was good or not. Thanks!

FC1 and FC1A are slightly different standards, and for that reason, you will likely need to re-accomplish the IFC. If they were the same, they wouldn't add the "A" qualifier. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply. It actually looks like my physical will be good still. AFI48-123 states that the FC1 is good for 48 months from the date of certification, which for me, was April of 2009. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out!

FC1 and FC1A are slightly different standards, and for that reason, you will likely need to re-accomplish the IFC. If they were the same, they wouldn't add the "A" qualifier. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply. It actually looks like my physical will be good still. AFI48-123 states that the FC1 is good for 48 months from the date of certification, which for me, was April of 2009. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out!

I think what he is stating is that, regardless of how long your FC1A is good for, its not an FC1, which means it does not meet the requirement for pilot.

Edited by Kenny Powers

I think what he is stating is that, regardless of how long your FC1A is good for, its not an FC1, which means it does not meet the requirement for pilot.

Correct. At a minimum, your paperwork needs to be resubmitted through PEPP to MAJCOM, along with any waivers. They standards in 48-123 are minimal, but they need to be verified. 48-123 Ch. 2 is teh Term of Validity standard, but from memory, IFC 1's have a few more additional exams (but I might be wrong).