Questions on Recruiters

Guest adam605

you sure about that? my recruiter is sending my application before the 12 month mark and no doctor at MEPS or at my FC1 made mention of such a rule... i think you just can't be within 12 months post-op before the flying portion of upt.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% Sure on this. However, if it goes by unnoticed, whatever. The surgeon general told me I was temporarily DQed because of less than 12 months post op. When I applied for the waiver (and later got) during my FC1, the people and doc both said that you must be 12 months post. When I filled out the OTS application, it said to stop the application if you were less than 12 months prk.

• 1 month later...
Guest bullseyekp

I finally had my PRK procedure done a little over 5 weeks ago and I'm seeing 20/20-20/15 already. Since the BRAC is looking ugly this year for fighter units, and I'm not getting any younger (just turned 26), I am getting things lined up for an OTS pilot slot application.

Earlier today I was near Tinker AFB and dropped by the officer recruiter's office to introduce myself - he wasn't there - gave his assitant my card and asked her to have him call me.

I currently plan to appply to 10+ ANG fighter units this year. I also plan to have my active duty package lined up in case I don't get picked up by this fall.

My question is this: should I tell the recruiter that I am pursuing an ANG slot as well as active duty? My concern is that he will be less diligent with my application if he knows active duty is not my only pursuit. Does anyone have any experience with this matter? From what people have posted on this forum, the recruiters' diligence, knowledge and interpersonal skills seem to vary greatly.

[ 07. April 2005, 14:59: Message edited by: bullseyekp ]

What gain would you have by telling him you're going after a guard slot?

It's none of his business as far as I'm concerned.

The whole game is to make everyone you talk to (the guard units and the ad recruiter) think that they're the only one on your mind.

Of course I'm not telling you to lie, but there is no need to offer up information that he doesn't need to know. Plus, if he asks you, you can just dodge it. "I've thought about applying to a couple guard units... I heard OTS slots are getting harder to come by and I just want to fly for the Air Force!" You don't have to go into specifics.

None of this is based on experience... just my thoughts on things.

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone.

I would like to submit an OTS application for a rated pilot slot but am having a hard time getting a hold of the local OTS recruiter. Frankly it seems this particular recruiter has better things to do than submit OTS packages. I have heard similar experiences from other candidates. Do I have to apply out of my local office or can I talk to anyone in the country?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest coastal96

Up to this point I have been working on my own getting my package together. However, I now require the assistance of a recuriter. I attempted to use the www.airforce.com web site to locate an advisor but the telephone numbers provided connect to fax machines . . . WTF!!! In any case, can someone help me out with some contact info for a good OTS recruiter. If he/she is in the MD/DC/VA area that is great. However, I suppose any good recruiter regardless of location would do.

I had a similar problem. The phone numbers given on the web site simply rang and rang with no voicemail or answering machine. After many calls over many days a person picked up. The person answering the phone was an Officer Recruiter with a specialty in Dentistry. He simply took down my information, including age, major, GPA, etc. and faxed it off to somebody in Texas. He said that the person in Texas would call me back within a week. Here's hoping.

Guest KoolKat

Nearest Air Force Recruiters Address Telephone Email

1. 25 Bala Avenue, Suite 104

Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 610-660-0694 OAXA318@rs.af.mil

2. 219 E. Main Street

Mechanicsburg, PA 17055 717-691-7890 OAXD318@rs.af.mil

3. 15 Public Square suite 308

Wilkes Barre, PA 18701 570-826 0288 OAXE318@rs.af.mil

4. 301 S. Allen St., Rm 103b

State College, PA 16801 814-237-8817 OAXC318@rs.af.mil

These are for Belcamp, MD...try your own zipcode(s) and you'll likely find something closer.

Try this. I hope it helps, I don't have any more patience to try and help....sorry

EDIT: And for the record, that AF recruiting website creeps me out.

BENDY

[ 08. November 2005, 14:18: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest coastal96

I'll try those numbers as well. I used that same web site to try and pull contact info and it yielded the same results as the www.airforce.com site. I actually had to use a Norfolk, VA zip to even get results for my area as the 10+ zips I tried in the DC metro area gave me zero results.

I was kind of hoping someone might be able to pass along some contact info for a recruiter they might be using or have used. If you don't want that info out in the public forums, send me a PM or email (coastal96@hotmail.com). Thanks.

• 10 months later...
Guest ghostfighter

I have a couple recruiter questions. Is it true that right now the airforce is not accepting pilots unless you already have your PPL or comercial license?

I called my local recruiter in New Port Richey Florida, who then referred me to a Tampa FL officer recruiter, who inturn said that he does not handle pilot officers and shuffled me off to a Orlando Florida recruiter that told me that they are not taking apps from people that dont have PPL or Commercial licenses and then got off the phone with me as quickly as possible.

I am working on my ground school 61 route now and wanted to take my AFOQT and start on all the paperwork required to join and this pisses me off to no end. They basically said we dont want you. I was also told by them that 28 was the cut off for pilots which I find totaly contradictory to whats available on the forums.

Is it possible to apply through a out of state recruiter and have them handle all the paperwork and just take the tests and such locally. I also have the names of the recruiters and are not afraid to bring them out and drag them through the mud with their higher ups butI dont think it will do any good and I would much rather find a recruiter that is willing to help me and work with/for me.

If this is possible and anyone knows a good/well educated/informed recruiter, with phone number, they can recommend. I would very much appreciate it.

thanks

It isn't as far, but I live in VA and used a MD recruiter. No PPL either, 30 hrs flight time. Also, I believe you have to contact an AF Officer Accessions Recruiter, not just any recruiter. You don't have to go through a recruiter to take the AFOQT, just find the testing locations (usually a MEPS or local AFB) and find out when the test is offered. I didn't do that, but it might make a stronger case for you to show up to a recruiter with kick a$$ scores and say, "help me get in." He'll probably have to set you up for the MEPS physical and aptitude test. Hope that helps a little bit. Keep researching, and good luck.

• 6 months later...
Guest J.R. ANG

I do have a questions along the lines of a recruiter not being completely honest. I applied for the 0701 board and was told I was a non-select. I have since been working with a reserves officer recruiter trying to get an application put together for the reserves board. When the reserves guy got my MEPS physical he called me with a question about it. When I went for the MEPS physical the docs said I needed to get a waiver for retained hardware in my right elbow. My AD recruiter told me that the waiver had been certified and approved and that my application was meeting the 0701 board. The reserves recruiter told me that the approved waiver was not in my medical records that he obtained from the AD side. How can I go about finding if my AD recruiter really did submit for and get the waiver approved? If it was not approved, then my application should not have met the board? If it did not meet the board, then I want to re-apply to 0703. Sorry for the vague question, it just got me thinking a little when I got the call from the reserves guy. Any advice?

Thanks,

Jason

Guest P27:17
I do have a questions along the lines of a recruiter not being completely honest. I applied for the 0701 board and was told I was a non-select. I have since been working with a reserves officer recruiter trying to get an application put together for the reserves board. When the reserves guy got my MEPS physical he called me with a question about it. When I went for the MEPS physical the docs said I needed to get a waiver for retained hardware in my right elbow. My AD recruiter told me that the waiver had been certified and approved and that my application was meeting the 0701 board. The reserves recruiter told me that the approved waiver was not in my medical records that he obtained from the AD side. How can I go about finding if my AD recruiter really did submit for and get the waiver approved? If it was not approved, then my application should not have met the board? If it did not meet the board, then I want to re-apply to 0703. Sorry for the vague question, it just got me thinking a little when I got the call from the reserves guy. Any advice?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

When was your original waiver granted?

The current standards have you dq only if it is easily subject to trauma and symptomatic.

This recruiter could be operating under obsolete info.

Contact HQ AETC/SGPA for a copy or info regarding the original waiver.

Good luck

Guest F16PilotMD

Rule #1: Don't believe a recruiter.

Rule #2: See #1.

All you have to do is ask for a copy of your waiver. It will have the diagnosis, date of approval, expiration, etc.

Edited by F16PilotMD

• 11 months later...
Guest exostratics

Hello all,

I'm having some difficulty with my recruiter and I was hoping for some advice on how I should handle the situation. The background:

I met with a great recruiter in my area, he has been doing it for 20 years. He liked my chances a lot and he started me down the process, had me take my AFOQT, got my paperwork handled for my PRK surgery, and got my application/letters of recommendations in. Problem is, he was getting ready to retire so he wanted to get as much done as possible before he was gone. Well he retired a bit early.

So far my status as of now is:

Graduating with a 3.1 in Mechanical Engineer with an Aerospace Engineering concentration.

86/92/88/83/81 AFOQT

Good Letters of Recommendation, lots of extra activities, very athletic, lots of volunteering.

22 years old and now working as a propulsion engineering working on components for the F-119, the turbojet engine for the F-35, as well as other next-generation propulsion systems.

Applying as a pilot only.

Had PRK surgery performed mid March; went very well.

The issue:

The new recruiter that I was handed off to has no familiarity with the process whatsoever. I have called him several times to try to set up a meeting to schedule out the rest of the application process to no avail. Our conversations usually consist of him calling the old recruiter to ask questions, then giving me a nondescript and unhelpful answer. I still need to schedule the TBAS, physicals etc... but this guy simply doesn't know what's going on. Are their other recruiters I can talk to? Should I simply try another recruiting station?

Any advice you can provide to make this process go smoother would be greatly appreciated... I'm starting to get a bit fusterated.

I've had similar problems except I'm already selected. My recruiter retired over a month ago and the new recruiter won't return my calls or emails. I went to www.rs.af.mil and found the phone number for the recruiting squadron in my area and contacted them.

You'll need a recruiter to schedule your MEPS physical, but you may be able to schedule the TBAS by yourself. I scheduled the TBAS and AFOQT myself. However, I work on an AF base so I already have base access. If you don't work on an AF base it shouldn't be too much harder though. Decide which base you want to take it at and call information and ask for the base education office, or something like that. Hope that helps.

Find out the name/number of the Recruiting Squadron superintendent.

Call the recruiter who can't get it done. Tell him your next step is to call the superintendent because this is really important to you. Give him a chance to figure it out, but not an eternity. If he can't help himself out, that's not your problem. He's gotta make quota and by not knowing the rules/procedures, he's just shafting himself as well as his squadron which is under the gun to make a bigger quota.

Follow through if needed. The superintendent will ensure you are taken care of.

Be polite and professional in all your dealings with them - help them help you, but let them know you are serious.

PM me if needed for help but you should be able to find out easily enough.

Guest LittleMan

Just keep on him. I had the same thing happen to me when I needed to take the TBAS. One guy had retired and the new guy didn't know anything about it. He told me to call him back (and I said "when, how about Thursday?") and so he gave me a day to call him and I just kept on him. When I called him on that day, he still hadn't done what he needed to, but he got it together during the next couple of days and I went in to take the TBAS no problems. He was even a cool guy and was willing to help me later with a couple of other things I needed later on. DON'T BURN ANY BRIDGES!!! As much as the superintendent will be willing to help, he will not do it for you. If you burn the bridge with this guy, he'll let all of the other recruiters know that you're a jerk (even if it's possible that you're not) and they'll probably be just as slow [or slower]. Be professional, be patient, but still be persistent, and don't go to his boss unless absolutely necessary.

My bad. Superintendent is too high for the first time. Get the recruiter's flight chief if the recruiter won't pull it together. As littleman and another source, a former RS/CC whom I'm married to, said the sup will fix the guy, not necessarily your problem. The flight chief has a vested interest in keeping it local.

But, don't take no service for an answer. It's your life involved.

Guest exostratics

Thanks a lot. This is some good advice that I never would have worked out on my own.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
Guest Catfish

Hi ya'll,

I have been trying to contact a local recruiter here in Tucson, AZ.

There are three offices, and when I call, I have a preliminary discussion, but as soon as I mention OTS, and the fact that I have a degree, I get nowhere. They ususally say, I will call back to set up an appt, and then they never call. I Call back, leave messages, ect...nothing, email, nothing.

Am i getting stonewalled beacuse I am not seeking an enlistment?

I am 27 want want to be a pilot, anyone has any advice, or knows of an Officer Recruiter in my area, the info would be much appreciated.

Catfish

Guest 38hopeful

Hi ya'll,

I have been trying to contact a local recruiter here in Tucson, AZ.

There are three offices, and when I call, I have a preliminary discussion, but as soon as I mention OTS, and the fact that I have a degree, I get nowhere. They ususally say, I will call back to set up an appt, and then they never call. I Call back, leave messages, ect...nothing, email, nothing.

Am i getting stonewalled beacuse I am not seeking an enlistment?

I am 27 want want to be a pilot, anyone has any advice, or knows of an Officer Recruiter in my area, the info would be much appreciated.

Catfish

I quick perusal of the"what are my chances" section yielded this link: http://airforceots.com/. Also, you could go to airforce.com, click the "contact" link and send your info. They should contact you with the appropriate personnel. Good luck.