Questions on the BAT (Basic Attribute Test)

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gtyj98

6/8/2006 - RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- Air Education and Training Command officials here announced they will field a new psychomotor skills test to be required of all candidates meeting pilot selection boards after Oct. 1.

The replacement of the Basic Aptitude Test with the new Test of Basic Aviation Skills represents a command initiative to harness science and technology to screen candidates and train the pilot force more efficiently.

Pilot selection boards meeting after Oct. 1 will require all candidates to have taken the TBAS prior to record closeout, which typically occurs two weeks before the board date. BAT results are still required for pilot selection boards meeting before that date; however, due to the retest policy, to be valid, TBAS cannot be taken sooner than 120 days after one's final BAT test.

The minimum time required between two successive BAT tests remains 180 days. Candidates are highly encouraged to take the BAT as soon as possible if they are meeting a board requiring the BAT and also want to leave enough time to take the TBAS for a subsequent board.

Prospective pilot candidates should pay close attention to two key dates regarding the new testing process. BAT testing will be discontinued at all testing locations on July 17; all locations must begin administering the TBAS no later than Aug. 14. Some test locations may install TBAS faster than others, however. For the most current information visit the Pilot Candidate Selection Method website at www.aetc.randolph.af.mil/sas/pcsm/.

Both the TBAS and the BAT measure psychomotor skills proven to be correlated to the completion of specialized undergraduate pilot training, including hand-eye coordination and listening response. Results of the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test and previous flying experience are two other key indicators correlated to success in pilot training.

The selection program weights three indicators -- BAT or TBAS, AFOQT and flying hours -- and combines them into a single score. Pilot selection boards use those scores as a part of their process to evaluate and select Airmen for pilot training.

"TBAS replaces the BAT with newer hardware and improved tests which incorporate recent advances in psychomotor and cognitive research," said Brig. Gen. Richard E. Perraut Jr., AETC plans, requirements and programs director.

The TBAS system incorporates modern computer capability and low-glare, flat-screen monitors, as well as updated joystick and foot pedal controls which look, feel and perform more realistically. Further, the TBAS is an adaptable platform that can facilitate new research to advance the science of pilot screening.

I don't think anyone will know if it's good or bad until it has time to show if there's any difference in the people it "picks" for pilot training. Whatever that means. The BAT felt like more a crap shoot to me anyway. The new one sounds like it might be a little more interesting to take to me.

Guest ShineR

Yes old news.

But this does raise a question that has yet to be answered:

What about those AD guys that have taken the BAT twice already and will apply after the cutoff for the BAT (july)? No where have I read where it states that people who have taken it twice may or may not take the TBAS. I am sure they will let you take it, but I want to see it in writing!

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by mikeyafrotc:

It is absolute BS that I cannot take it twice. Welcome to the military.

Guys, lots of things in life are this way. You can blame it on "the military" and be a victim or you can keep your shoulders square to the line of scrimmage and keep your feet moving.

Lesson learned: Timing is everything.

Lesson learned: Everything matters. Do your best to get it right the first time because there may not be a second chance.

Here are a couple more examples of how you can become a victim of circumstances...

"Hey wait a second, I think I had a hung bomb and now I'm out of the running for top gun/turkey shoot money. Can I throw that pass out, bogart some of the next flight's range time and come around again to see if I can get this last bomb off?"

or...

"Hey wait a second, I wasn't ready for that SA-6. Can you guys get me back to my base so I can get another jet and come back to try to kill you again? Seriously, can I get a Mulligan? Hey, stop trying to shove that broom handle up my six!"

Don't be a victim.

Guest Dactyl

Logic would argue that the only reason they are replacing the test is because there is something wrong with the old one (innacurate, outdated, etc...) so the new test shouldn't be pissing anyone off unless you are in a time crunch situation.

My bet is that it will be just as frustrating as the last one was... Yall can go back to arguing now.