AFP: American Fighter Pilot

Guest GooneyBird

Guest GooneyBird

Just wanted to let you guys know that the American Fighter Pilot series is now being widely advertised for a March 22nd 7-episode DVD release. Sweet.

[ 16. March 2005, 14:11: Message edited by: GooneyBird ]

• 2 months later...
Guest KillYourself

Got AFP in the mail today. Pretty damn good so far...except for some annoying, over-the-top, editing on the Scotts' part.

Well worth the 20 bucks though.

Guest Dirt Beater

I was in the process of ordering it the other day off Amazon and the title had the name "Todd Giggy" next to it? WTF? Are they selling different versions showcasing the individual dudes?

KYS: Is it the no-shit version that was originally aired on CBS?

Outstanding! I remember him, he used to be stationed at Lakenheath, he was a SOF. We referred to him as The Ken Doll.

Did it originally air with only 7 episodes, or is that just what's on the DVD?

[ 18. May 2005, 11:41: Message edited by: KickChick21 ]

Guest trobarge26
Originally posted by KickChick21:

Actually, to my knowledge only 3 episodes were aired before it was cancelled. Stupid editing... turned some very promising footage into something painful to watch, in my opinion.

Guest GooneyBird

I'm on episode 4. Good stuff. The editing really doesn't bother me. Highly recommended for $25.

Guest x-wing

I've been watching the some of the DVD and i noticed that the pilots always pull back on the stick with both hands. Do the IPs teach you to do this?

Originally posted by KickChick21:

Outstanding! I remember him, he used to be stationed at Lakenheath, he was a SOF. We referred to him as The Ken Doll.

He was one of my roomates at Lakenheath -- that's a fairly accurate description. BUT, that dude can fly the jet! He's in the next Weapons School class...

Originally posted by x-wing:

I've been watching the some of the DVD and i noticed that the pilots always pull back on the stick with both hands. Do the IPs teach you to do this?

It's a technique -- you have to pull ABSOLUTLY straight back with the Eagle (any side-stick and you'll get assymetric G-limits and an EASY over-G) So, a lot of dudes do breakturns with both hands (I do) because it's easier to get a straight pull.

Guest MaxStatic

The two handed pull has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Have a composite video called Eagle Rage...NIN march of the pigs plays, dude sees bandit, dude, banks hard, dude grabs both hands, slams er back, grunts, airframe flexes, absolutly beeeeeeuiiiittiiiiifulllll!!!!!!

Originally posted by MaxStatic:

The two handed pull has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Have a composite video called Eagle Rage...NIN march of the pigs plays, dude sees bandit, dude, banks hard, dude grabs both hands, slams er back, grunts, airframe flexes, absolutly

Coolest thing ever, huh? Wow. I seem to remember a little trick called the "I'll hit the brakes and he'll fly right by" maneuver.

A lot of the stick and throttle footage in Eagle Rage was canned footage - they filmed it either on the ground or in the simulator.

Guest MaxStatic

Don't know about "flying right by" but call me a loser if I think that spliting your jewels with a 15 stick to the point that your airframe looks like the wings are about to be sheered off and the dude sounds like he is about to passout is cool.

Ughhshshhumphhhh...jezuss...umgghhh...<radio call> "bandit is on you, bandit is on you..."

Those 20 secs of aud/vid will have to do for me for now. ;)

Guest Raccoon

I got my AFP few days ago and liked it a lot. How do you guys feel about Getsno getting the Top Gun trophy? I was really surprised, I was pulling for Patch for his consistency from the very beginning, and to me it seemed like even Merkin did better job at flying that plane than Mike Love. That's just how I felt, I would never question the IPs though, and I'm sure if Getsno got the trophy then that's because he deserved it.

Question to Toro: I was just wondering by what year do you think F15's will completely stop being available in drops? I understand no one can really answer that question but I am still curious in hearing your opinion on this matter. If I start UPT 5 years from now and get a choice to fly a fighter I will pick F16 however even if there will be no more Vipers I hope there be Eagles because I'd kill to fly one.

My guess is as good as anybody else's. With all the F-22 cutbacks and the AF budget problems in general, I think it'll be a long time before the F-15 is completely phased out. There will still be F-15s in UPT drops in five years.

Demo,

I'm not sure how I feel about Getsno getting the Top Gun award.....seeing how I'm still waiting for my AFP shipment to arrive. Thanks for the heads up though. Hey, I haven't seen StarWars yet, how does that end?

Originally posted by Demo:

How do you guys feel about Getsno getting the Top Gun trophy? I was really surprised, I was pulling for Patch for his consistency from the very beginning, and to me it seemed like even Merkin did better job at flying that plane than Mike Love. That's just how I felt, I would never question the IPs though, and I'm sure if Getsno got the trophy then that's because he deserved it.

Don't believe everything you see. As Toro can tell you, nobody is going through the B-Course with their sights set on getting any awards. The only award that students want is graduating and getting on to an operational unit in their fighter.

I haven't watched the whole series, but I saw the episodes that were broadcast, and I work with one of the guys featured in the show. I can assure you that they were not "competing" for a Top Gun trophy while in their B-Course. That is something made up by the show's producers to create some sort of excitement for viewers of the show.

Guest lightning4eva

Did anyone notice that some of the in cockpit footage is a Major, not a 2Lt, 1Lt, or a Capt??

What I was told is that is was too dangerous to put a cameraman in the plane w/a STUD, so an instructor had to go up and refly some of the missions. One of those instructors is at 102FW. It surprised me to say the least.

What I was told is that is was too dangerous to put a cameraman in the plane w/a STUD, so an instructor had to go up and refly some of the missions. One of those instructors is at 102FW. It surprised me to say the least.
Wonder why they didn't just put a helmet mounted cam on em...

Originally posted by zrooster99:

Wonder why they didn't just put a helmet mounted cam on em...

They did, they actually put multiple small camera's in, on and around Eagles for the shoots.

Yes, none of the camera crews were allowed to ride on student rides, almost all of the airborne footage was of two instructors. (good guys too, one guy has over 3000 Eagle hours -- not many of those guys around)