Instructor Rating

Vetter

I just got done with PIT. Can I take a copy of my initial instructor qual form 8 in the T-38 and have the FAA add an instructor rating to my FAA license or do I need to have a check ride in order to do that? Thanks!

Nah man...I just asked the same question on flightinfo.com and everyone there said no.

I guess an FAA CFI is a lot different than a T-38 IP. It's ghey, though.

I think there's a practical test/ground eval/checkride that has to be taken. I have no idea what the hour requirements are, though.

BTW, congrats on finishing PIT. I just finished on Thurs, and I hit the line tomorrow with studs.

That'll be exciting...a 2Lt teaching another 2Lt how to fly Fluid Manuevering. Oh, and the other LT might be German/Italian/Dutch...

Guest Apollo

FYI, the civilian instructor is a seperate license. It is not an add on to your pilot ticket. I have two pieces of paper.

My pilot

then my instructor (that has the obvious expiration date)

Guest comanche

No hour requirements for CFI, just pass the two written exams and the checkride (oral & flight).

Originally posted by PAB:

Comanche,

You need to be a commercial pilot (250 hrs)to exercise the priveleges of being a CFI, do you not?

Yeah, that's true. Good luck with your CFI, just remember that it is not the military. I have seen/flown with a few military guys, the ones that can't get past their military background aren't very much fun to fly with.

[ 16. May 2005, 09:13: Message edited by: c17wannabe ]

Guest Slye

You don't need to have 250 hours to get your commercial, I barely had 250 when I got my CFI. It all depends upon what part of the regulations your training is conducted under. For Part 61 though, you're right about the 250 hours. Part 141 has no hour requirement. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm gonna be the biggest dick instructor EVER! I think I'll make the students wear a helmet just so I have an oxygen hose to grab onto when they screw up their turns around a point. They are gonna think R. Lee Ermey is a social worker compared to me.

Slye,

Thanks, I remember that now (61 vs. 141). It's a moot point for those done with UPT, since you get a commercial equivalency anyway, but still good info.

[ 16. May 2005, 09:26: Message edited by: PAB ]

Guest Hoser
I'm gonna be the biggest dick instructor EVER!
Gonna be?? Don't you mean already are?

Cheers,

Hoser

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by c17wannabe:

I have seen/flown with a few military guys, the ones that can't get past their military background aren't very much fun to fly with.

LOL

Guest comanche
Originally posted by ellsworb:

I think instructors must be instrument rated in the category for which the applicant is pursuing. So add that on.

Never heard that, and I don't think it is true. In order to be a CFII, you need to be instrument rated. I figured having your commercial was a given, once you have that there is no hour requirement for CFI, and you can only become a CFI under part 61. 141 schools my have a syllabus, but you are still really under part 61.

Guest Apollo

For the Airplane category, you need an instrument

rating. However, you don't need an instrument

rating in helicopters to get your helicopter CFI.

Originally posted by Slye

You don't need to have 250 hours to get your commercial, I barely had 250 when I got my CFI
FAR 61.129 Aeronautical experience. (for commercial pilot rating)

(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) (hot air balloon) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot... [same for multi]

Part 141 is a structured approved school program that has no total specific hour requirement per se, but it comes out to be about 185 total hours (35 ppl, 30 ins, 120 comm) not counting checkrides and additional solo or instructional time required, if you do the math for all the minimum sub-requirements. There is no total time requirement for CFI, just pass the tests, get signed off, and take the checkride.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but we have to be careful about posting bogus information. If you're going to post something, examine the source document (regs or whatever) first, please. You don't need an instrument rating to be a CFI (61.195) or commercially rated pilot (61.133.) Why you wouldn't want one, I don't know.

Originally posted by Apollo

For the Airplane category, you need an instrument

rating. However, you don't need an instrument

rating in helicopters to get your helicopter CFI.

FAR 61.195

1) A pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate with the applicable category and class rating; and

(2) If appropriate, a type rating.

© Instrument Rating. A flight instructor **who provides instrument flight training for the issuance of an instrument rating or a type rating not limited to VFR** must hold an instrument rating on his or her flight instructor certificate and pilot certificate that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft in which instrument training is being provided.

www.faa.gov

§ 61.183 Eligibility requirements.

To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:

(a) Be at least 18 years of age;

(B) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's flight instructor certificate as are necessary;

© Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or airline transport pilot certificate with:

(1) An aircraft category and class rating that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and

( 2) An instrument rating, or privileges on that person's pilot certificate that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought, if applying for—

(i) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating;

(ii) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and multiengine class rating;

(iii) A flight instructor certificate with a powered-lift rating; or

(iv) A flight instructor certificate with an instrument rating.

All of this can be found here

[ 16. May 2005, 22:37: Message edited by: c17wannabe ]

At least a commercial certificate is a prereq to obtaining any flight instructor rating. You cant get your CFI without it or better. To be a regular CFI you need your SE Commercial certificate. To become a multi engine instructor you need your commercial multi certificate. To be an instrument instructor you need a commercial certificate with an instrument rating. To be an instructor without an instrument rating...I dont remember. I would have to look that one up.

I dont want to be a jerk either, but if you want to post information then reveiw the ENTIRE reg and not just portions of it. There is a lot of information in the regs and not only in the areas you may think they will or should be.

[ 17. May 2005, 13:37: Message edited by: Sneedro ]

Originally posted by Sneedro:

I dont want to be a jerk either, but if you want to post information then reveiw the ENTIRE reg and not just portions of it. There is a lot of information in the regs and not only in the areas you may think they will or should be.

On the flip side, if you read this board and take it as gospel without referencing the reg, you are equally at fault. No gouge supercedes the source document, trust no gouge at face value.

On the flip side, if you read this board and take it as gospel without referencing the reg, you are equally at fault. No gouge supercedes the source document, trust no gouge at face value.
Very true PAB

Sorry for the misunderstanding Apollo, thought you meant blanket CFI, not specifics. Bottom line = CFI requirement of IR is dependent on several factors (read if's and or's), some of which were not discussed in this forum. That is why there is a reg. As PAB mentioned, it is the responsibility of us all to read it for ourselves.

[ 17. May 2005, 22:34: Message edited by: PilotoftheCaribbean ]